M14 Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am in the process of buying a HRA Garand.The seller tells me it has a Springfield barrel and bolt.I am new to Garands. What should I look for to determine the date or other marks that would be of importance.Its only $500.00 dollars.So I just want it more to shoot than to restore but I would just like more info on its history and to see if I got anything "special" .The rifle is advertised as having a mismatched stock.How do I go about getting a correct stock set for it.Any info is greatly appriciated.Thanks Ray

·
Registered
2,677 Posts
There were a few HRA's delivered with all WWII marked parts, mostly Springfield. But those rifles are the exception and not the rule.

To find out how correct a rifle is requires more knowledge than is published in any one book. There are many exceptions and strange combinations of marks on HRA's.

My gut feeling is if you are paying $500.00 you are not getting anything special. In today's market an all correct rifle will bring well over $1000.00.
Futhermore I don't want to recommend you put lots of money into a rifle to restore it. Collectors often get trapped by putting $2000.00 dollars into a restoration which may bring $700.00-1000.00 the day they sell it.

Unfortunately the only way to know what is good on the rifle takes somebody with years of experience to personally inspect it. There is no other way.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Garand just arrived

I have just recieved the HRA Garand I mentioned in this post and I am trying to research the date of manufature.The serieal number is 57777xx from what i can find it is a late production gun.The barrel wich is S.A. has a date of 12-53.The overall condition of the rifle is pretty good a little pitting on the L/side of reciever wich has been refinished and the bore is bright and shiney.So all in all I am happy with my investment.I hope its a good shooter .My intention is to send it to Warbird for a reparkerizing and general overhaul.I dont intend to invest more than three or four hundred dollars into this rifle and thats on the high side.I guess i have two questions .1)what is the date of manufacture 2)is it worth investing the money into this weapon.I understand the answer to the second question is kind of subjective.I am just trying to end up with a rifle that looks good ie.matching excellent condition stock and a fresh park job with it bieng able to shoot 2.5 moa and be most of all reliable.Thanks Mr. Ricca for what ever knowledge you can give to a new Garand owner.

·
Registered
2,677 Posts
I really do not know what you are trying to accomplish. Putting money into the rifle that will make it shoot better, or satisfy one of your desires, yes that is subjective. It depends upon the amount and the person's values. What are you trying to accomplish? If the rifle can be altered to shoot the 2.5 inch and look like you want, figure the cost of the rifle, plus the additional investment? Is that worth it to you? Only you can answer that.

What I am trying to prevent is what I see going on every day. A guy gets a CMP M1, adds an additional $1500 in parts, wood, etc and ends up with a rifle that will not sell for more than $700-900 because it is a half baked restoration. Most people in that position justify their decisions by the "Fun Factor", the search for parts and the accomplishment of doing it. It is all subjective. I cannot answer that one for you.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v299/RAYGUN73/DSC00149.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v299/RAYGUN73/DSC00148.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v299/RAYGUN73/DSC00145.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v299/RAYGUN73/DSC00144.jpg

Images converted to links as they exceed the 400 pixel limit.

Here are a few pics so you can see her.I was able to break the weapon down for the first time tonight .Its in alot better shape then first thought.It also has all S.A. marked parts other than reciever.I understand some questions only I can answer.So if I could just get some help identifying the date of production.It would be a huge help.Thanks again Ray.

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
"lend-lease?"

No, they are not. There are no foreign stampings on the rifles. They were given to Greece to be used by their military and then returned to the US. Other than the horrendous "Noah's Ark" looking replacement stocks that some have, there is no way to differentiate them from rifles that stayed in the US. Some are in decent shape, but many are beat to death. What you get will be luck of the draw. If you're going to buy one of the Greek rifles, buy a Rack Grade.

The rifles you get from the CMP (which is where I suspect your HRA came from) are worth what you pay for them, but unless you spend the money on a collector grade (all correct) rifle, you are buying a shooter, not a collector. Every now and then you'll get lucky & find a rare part on one (uncut op rod, etc...). Some will be very pretty, some are ugly as sin. You pay your money and take your chances.

Your HRA looks nice, but is a typical mixmaster rebuild. Enjoy it for what it is & have fun shooting it.

·
Registered
947 Posts
To me it's more fun to buy one from CMP and see what you get.

I'm close enough to Camp Perry to drive over and the few times I've visited there were half a dozen guys pouring over rifles with collector's books, magnafing glasses, ang gages. Just ask any one of 'em what's good and what isn't.

Back when fingerprints were needed for an M1 Rifle I received a 1942 Springfield with "all correct" major parts other than an HRA trigger group. An acquaintance the same week received a HRA rifle with a 1942 SA trigger group. A quick exchange and we were both happy.

Oh, mine also had a M14 rear sight! Fixed that quickly as well.

Key to even assembling a good "all collectable" rifle is the barrel and receiver need to "match." You can change any other part by yourself.

As Bill notes the restored rifle may never be worth anything, but it's fun to do and pretty harmless in cost unless you're buying a barrel and having it installed.

-- Chuck

·
Registered
131 Posts
The Greek SG I received earlier this year had mismatched wood but the barrel and receiver, bolt and op rod were all HRA. Trigger was SA and looked brand new. Overall the finish and metal were in very good shape. First time out with it, it would not strip a fresh round off everytime. Orion 7's stainless recoil spring got her up and running.
But CMP is a crap shoot but a fun one. :D

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.