M14 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
980 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey, guys. Sorry I've been out of the loop so long. New job, new town and family issues have kept me out of the loop for a bit. Just wanted to share a pic with y'all, though. Shot three hawgs today at some land my father-in-law owns that is over run with hogs. I'm trying to thin the hawg population out so that more deer will come in.

Put a new deer feeder up in the back 40 today and then went stalking in the woods. I could hear a big sounder of hawgs browsing deep in the brush upwind from me, so I took my time and creeped up on them nice and slow. Got in a good firing position and took three of them out with my M1A before they new what hit them.

·
"Death From Above"
11,646 Posts
Very nice! Have you ever hunted hawgs with dogs? I recetly became aware of a breed called dogo argentino's. I want to get one not for hunting bit as a pet. There is a breeder in Texas that I have been considering for my first one.

·
Registered
6,385 Posts
Good to see you again!GI2

Nice kills you racked up with your M1A

Dawgs? Why let them have all the fun??GI2

·
Registered
3,651 Posts
Porker BBQ!!!!!!!! Nice shootin'

·
Registered
980 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Dogs make too much noise. ;-) I like to creep threw the woods soft and quiet, into the wind and preferably with the sun at my back. I spent a good half hour just circling around to get into the optimal position to move into the woods from the now heavily scrub brushed pasture in the South 40. My father-in-law leases this land to a rancher to run his cattle on and hasn't cleared brush on it since the early '60s, so it has a ton of mesquite growing over what used to be open fields. No one has hunted on this land since then, either, but the hog population in negatively impacted the deer population, so I need do wipe the hawgs out.

·
Registered
62 Posts
hawgs

TEA
Dont mean to rain on your picnic, but I have been trying to get rid of hogs on my property ( N. Tex-Montague Co.)for years feral hogs are capable of breeding at 6to 10 months old, litters are usually 4 to 12 piglets, gestation is about 115 days. do the math.Anyway good shooting on those three,and good luck getting rid of them..

·
Registered
3,997 Posts
Man oh Man You are Blessed
Nice Shooting
and you will be killing pigs for quite some time

·
Registered
476 Posts
Hey, guys. Sorry I've been out of the loop so long. New job, new town and family issues have kept me out of the loop for a bit. Just wanted to share a pic with y'all, though. Shot three hawgs today at some land my father-in-law owns that is over run with hogs. I'm trying to thin the hawg population out so that more deer will come in.

Put a new deer feeder up in the back 40 today and then went stalking in the woods. I could hear a big sounder of hawgs browsing deep in the brush upwind from me, so I took my time and creeped up on them nice and slow. Got in a good firing position and took three of them out with my M1A before they new what hit them.

Hey, triplets, Good job. If you need any help thinning them out please let me know. I would be glad to assist.

·
Registered
980 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
TEA
Dont mean to rain on your picnic, but I have been trying to get rid of hogs on my property ( N. Tex-Montague Co.)for years feral hogs are capable of breeding at 6to 10 months old, litters are usually 4 to 12 piglets, gestation is about 115 days. do the math.Anyway good shooting on those three,and good luck getting rid of them..
Once it gets too warm to shoot 'em, clean 'em and eat 'em, I'm planning on trapping them and selling them. Trapping, unlike hunting, can make a big impact on the population, plus I can make $ off of them. Hunting them is more fun, though. Especially going solo into the woods. This sounder probably had 12 or 14 hogs in it.

·
Registered
980 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
Long Story

OK, here is the long story.

All this last week, I've been working 14 to 18 hour days grading papers and exams and just looking forward to getting the semester over with. Yesterday, I took my 5 year old daughter Gwyneth out with me to Armadillo Ranch (the name we gave my Father-in-law's 1/2 section out near Mt. Calm, TX because of all of the armadillos we saw the first time we went out there together) to clear some brush, hang a new deer feeder and get some shooting in. I screwed up and didn't take all the tools I needed to assemble the feeder, though. So we just ended up shooting the bb gun together and me shooting my M1A to site it in (last time I went hunting, I missed what I shot at and suspected I had a bad zero on my rifle - confirmed by my shooting yesterday).

So, today I assemble the new feeder in my garage before I headed out and intended to see if I could try out my newly zeroed rifle on some hawgs. Got out to Armadillo Ranch and drove out to the South 40 to hang the new feeder. After crossing the creek and in the middle of the woods, I saw some hogs off in the woods to my left. I stopped the truck and grabbed my rifle, but the hogs had scattered by the time I got out of the truck. I went on and hung the feeder. Then, I went SE across the pasture to the tree/fence line on the E side of the field and worked my way back towards the woods moving from brush patch to brush patch against the wind. The sun wasn't optimal, though, since I as moving W/NW for the most part and it was late afternoon.

Once I got to the woods, I stalked the area where I'd first seen hogs, but came in from the opposite direction from where I'd seen them from my truck, hoping to do a pincer move on them. However, I didn't see any hogs. That ended up being a good thing, though, because I was still facing into the sun for the most part. So, I moved back into the pasture and moved along the edge of the wood until I got to a spot where I could still move into the wind but with the sun more at my side. The brush in this area is pretty thick, so I had to move slowly, especially since there was a lot of dead dry leaves on the ground. I'd wait until the wind picked up a bit so that the sound of the wind in the trees would mask my footfalls and then take a few steps. When the wind would die down, I'd freeze, go low and listen. After a while, I heard some noise in the brush up ahead of me. Working VERY slowly, I worked my probably about 75 yards further on from where I first started hearing noises, then I heard a grunt. I adjusted my sling, took my safety off and started inching my way forward while peering into the brush ahead looking for movement. Then I saw a piglet dart across a path from my left to right. I pulled my rifle up to my shoulder and sited in on two more piglets as they crossed the path. I exhaled and waited for Mom. Sure enough, two more piglets crossed the path and then Mom.

Boom!

Once I shot the first hog, the woods came alive with scurrying hogs. There must have been at least 12 or 14 hogs in this sounder. Right off, I shot another one as it crossed the same path as the others had earlier, then I took a couple of quick steps forward around some heavy brush that was between me and the sounds of scurrying hogs and shot another one that was trying to move into some thick brush to make his escape (the boar in the pic). I shot a few more rounds at some piglets that were scurrying around in a panic, but missed. :-(

I only had seven rounds in a ten round mag, so when I went to give a head shot to the first hog to finish it off, there was only a click. I normally carry a spare magazine, but hadn't this time 'cause I was trying to carry light. Bad idea. Always carry a spare magazine. I'd hit the first one just behind the shoulder but about 2" high of the heart. The second one I hit in the neck just in front of the shoulder. The third I hit in the spine just behind the shoulder. So, all three were down but not dead. Good thing I had my pig sticker with me, because I ended up having to cut the throats of all three to finish them off.

·
Registered
2,331 Posts

Outstanding!!! But you posted the same hog in all 3 pics. Lets see the other two.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Good hunting! How about some info on the knife and sheath, please.

·
Registered
397 Posts
Congratulations on a successful hunt.

I'd like to hear more about the knife, too. Very nice looking blade.

·
Registered
4,188 Posts
from the sound of it you should carry two extra mags. there's little else that sounds like that squeal the let out, is there? Keep up the good work, it would appear you've a long road ahead clearing them out.

·
Administrator
18,169 Posts
Research, the only good game in town anymore......

I'm glad that you could fine the time to drop us a note here TEA, it's been many years. Welcome on back...DI5

·
Registered
980 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks, guys. I didn't take pics of the sow and yearling. Should have, though.

The knife was a birthday present from my wife a couple of years ago. It's from Silver Stag. http://www.silverstagknives.com/ It's their "Pacific Bowie" and 8 1/2" blade. My only criticism is with the sheath. The handle is very heavy and there is a relief cut in the sheath by the base of the belt loop that causes the handle to tilt forwards. I need to get a leather thong to make a tie down for around my leg.

·
Registered
980 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I noticed that their prices have gone WAY up.

·
Registered
180 Posts
We have a bad hog problem in South Arkansas. Bad part is they are mostly nocturnal here. We kill one every so often deer hunting but hardly ever see them during the daylight. We keep some traps out year round and get some that way but it seems we have more every year.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts