M14 Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Howdy howdy!

I have been reading up on the forum here for a couple months but wanted to formally introduce myself.

After much research, I recently purchased a brand new M1A Standard with a walnut stock. I plan on upgrading and maintaining the rifle with much care through the advice of the folks here.

Here is a picture of her:

All the ammo there is everything that the shop had...

Also, I just purchased a 1907 military sling for it (or my shotgun), four CMI 25rnd mags, Lula mag loader and two magazine cinches. All that stuff hopefully will get to me this week.

I am considering chassis replacements and optics...but I plan on getting proficient enough with the stock setup & iron sights to determine what role I want this weapon to fill.

I look forward to learning a lot from you guys!

·
Registered
8,705 Posts
Nice stick!!!! Welcome to the club. Looking forward to a range report. Best iron sight picture of any battle rifle out there. A natural pointing rifle....kind of like the 1911A1 is to handguns.

Glad to have you actively shooting an M1A/M14!!!! Congrats on the purchase.

·
Retired Admin
I lost all of my rifles & handguns in a mishap on Rio Grande when the barge hit a sandbar and sank.
19,165 Posts
Welcome on board...

Welcome on board muscles, pull up an old ammnuition crate and sit awhile. This here Gun Board is a great place for information on M14/M1A Rifles and Military Surplus Ammunition. Again welcome aboard and have yourself a great week Sir. You have a good picture to show us of your rig, your way ahead of us, thanks.DI5

The 10 Golden Rules of Ammnuition:

1) You can never have too much ammnuition on hand. 1k rounds per battle rifle is a good minimum to start with (fubar).
2) Supplies of good surplus run out before you know it, and usually when you're running low on ammnuition so buy plenty while its available.
3) When in doubt about how much ammnuition you should buy, refer to rule #1.
4) Ammnuition is meant to be shot, so shoot often.
5) Because of rule #4, ammnuition must be replenished often as well.
6) When replenishing supply of ammnuition, refer to rules #1 through #3.
7) You must buy at least twice as much ammnuition as you shoot (fubar).
8) Always store ammnuition in a cool dry place (TEA). The only time you have to much ammnuition on hand is when you have a house fire(Slick).
9) If you don't have room in your house to store ammnuition per rule #8, build a bunker or a cellar in your back yard for storing ammnuition (TEA).
10) Friends don't let friends buy Indian surplus ammnuition (TEA). Or Never buy surplus ammnuition from a country where you wouldn't drink the water (midrat). DI5

·
Registered
2,519 Posts
Welcome to the forum from NorCal. Congratulations on the new rifle. Since you have been hanging around awhile you already know you way around, so, grab a fresh cup and join in the fun. GITEN

·
Registered
1,839 Posts
Welcome here.
I too have a 22" standard.

Great stick.
Get some money together and send your GC and TG to Cepilot. Mine will shoot 1moa at 100 yards all day.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hey guys. I received my order of four 25rnd CMI mags from 44mag today...and a new sling, LULA loader, and a mag cinch from Desertwarrior. I am very happy so far with the CMI mags. Check it out:

The LULA was awesome to use, and I loaded up the 4 mags in no time.

After installing the mag cinch, I think i will only use it at the range since it adds so much weight and bulk.

I have an issue with the 10 round mag that the gun shop gave me with my brand new rifle. During the waiting period, they "lost" the magazine that came in the Springfield box...but claimed they found it the day I picked it up. This mag has no markings on it, so I doubt it was the original.

So, the problems with it are:
-It is more difficult to hand load this mag than the new 25rnd CMI mags because it seems like the spring does not give even tension.
-The LULA loader doesn't seat the rounds correctly when using this mag, I am guessing because of the spring.
-It is more difficult to insert the magazine into the rifle than the CMI mags.

I am gonna trash the mag unless one of you suggest that I should keep it for some reason.

Anyways, comments/input are welcome!

·
Registered
9,465 Posts
I have an issue with the 10 round mag that the gun shop gave me with my brand new rifle. During the waiting period, they "lost" the magazine that came in the Springfield box...but claimed they found it the day I picked it up. This mag has no markings on it, so I doubt it was the original.

So, the problems with it are:
-It is more difficult to hand load this mag than the new 25rnd CMI mags because it seems like the spring does not give even tension.
-The LULA loader doesn't seat the rounds correctly when using this mag, I am guessing because of the spring.
-It is more difficult to insert the magazine into the rifle than the CMI mags.

I am gonna trash the mag unless one of you suggest that I should keep it for some reason.
If you like, I can take a look at the ten round magazine. It's not a bad idea to get a second set of eyes on it. I'm in Las Vegas. Let me know.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.