M14 Forum banner

How would you prefer m14 super match stock be finished?

1780 17
How would you prefer m14 super match stoc be finished? I really like the camo setup, and i like the m21 stoack finish,but this one would be pretty left as is or redone darker with wood showing like warbird has right now. Warbird what finish you used on that nice walnut m14 stock that was a supermatch type stock.
SuperMatch Pic 1
SuperMatch Pic 2
SuperMatch Pic 3

Moderator: The pics were excellent but large so they have been converted to links. Tom O.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I would make it smaller but not got it figured out on my paint thing. I wonder since it has slack or polyurathane finish over stain that i could use primer and then camo it, and if i wanted to go back i couls strip it down to the polyurathane with a milder finish remover,not sure if thats possible with out reduing the stock completely.

·
Registered
1,663 Posts
I dunno why you'd want to paint over that stock - the wood is beautiful.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It is and thats why am torn,lol. I had my mind setup on it until i found this stock which is getting shipped to me adn i am going to get douglas heavy barrel put on the m14 and use this stock. Warbirds is sweet! This one does have good looking grain from pics and may look better or worse when i get it,lol. Thatrs why i ask ? to get a very good majority opinion.

·
Registered
128 Posts
LOL!

Ok here is whats funny, I don't have an M14 yet...

But-

I have 3 stocks coming!!!!!!

1) Laminated Berch from Fulton, coming on the rifle.
2) Whamo Camo with all the bells and whistles.
3) Pearless Berch from Fred's.

I'll have one of each!

·
Registered
365 Posts
Bravo 2, I don't think I would touch that stock. I perfer to finish gun stocks with Tru-Oil. It is easy to apply, easy to repair, and inexpensive. Just my .02 worth...Mike

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I decided that i will just refinish the stock to a darker maybe reddish finish unless someone has pics of stock finish that would look better. I like the one warbird has pics of as m14 custom stock, love the finish on his website. What finsih would you guys recommend?

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
M14 Dan I like the od stock. I only seen besides yours with a check rest built in a synthetic stock that looks like the sa black ones but it had built in cheek rest,first time i ever seen them and its in LGS and i don't know where it cam from. Yours is it wood stock OD or synthetic(looks like wood)? What paint you used? I am going to do my pss stock od. and then camo it. Thinking on doing the hole gun,but will try stock first. Going to use walmart krylon camo paint. Hows the synthetic mags hold up?

·
Banned
572 Posts
Them synthetic mags are junk. I only use them now to hold the bolt open when I am cleaning. They don't function worth a darn. I used that camo colors stuff at walmart in the quart cans. It is a walnut stock and I built the riser up myself out of wood and fiberglass. The stock is a gi heavy walnut target stock without a liner. It is steel bedded and very heavy! I like it that way. right now it is in this stock:

I need to figure out a way to build a SOLID riser for it as I really like shooting the e-2 but this stock is in near perfect , 100 % , original condition. I don't want to modify it in any way. I hate those soft stock risers. I just can't get anything done accurately with them.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Dan thats a Nice looking tractor ya got there! :D

I have more "toy's" on my desk than I do usable stuff.

Nice M14 to!

·
Registered
1,663 Posts
That's a Vietnam era E2 stock. They were for M14's designated as the SAW.

They run @ $350 and up.

·
Banned
572 Posts
I only paid 100 bucks for my e-2 at a show a couple years ago. He also threw in all the hardware for another one for free. The poor guy didn't even know what it was for. Oh well. I wasn't stupid enough to tell him.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.