M14 Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

So a few questions: I had a Vltor stock but where I like to grab my gun my finger keeps hitting my oprod - this could be painful but so far I've been lucky. I have a Versa pod rail for a bipod - is there an adapter that would extend that? Is that what is in this picture or is there a wrap around rail that is doing that..?

Looks like it is the bottom of the wrap around rail from a socom - do those fit on normal m1a's? If not, then is there a way to just get a gunsmith to drill holes and install a rail on my stock?

·
Registered
3,268 Posts

So a few questions: I had a Vltor stock but where I like to grab my gun my finger keeps hitting my oprod - this could be painful but so far I've been lucky. I have a Versa pod rail for a bipod - is there an adapter that would extend that? Is that what is in this picture or is there a wrap around rail that is doing that..?

Looks like it is the bottom of the wrap around rail from a socom - do those fit on normal m1a's? If not, then is there a way to just get a gunsmith to drill holes and install a rail on my stock?

The first picture is of a cas vltor rail made exclusively for SAI by vltor, it is a 2 piece system, top rail mounts around barrel and also into the side of RX at the mounting hole where a scope mount would go, the bottom piece pops on and off with 2 small spring tabs on each side.

The one you have Is also a vltor, the CASV-14 rail system, the one they offer is different then the one they make for SAI, yours (like mine) mounts around the barrel and the stripper clip guide dove tail, it does not mount on side of rx. There is not a piece that wraps around or goes underneath for this one like the model they make for SAI. These 2 are not interchangeable.

If you want the one exclusively by SAI you can look for and buy it from someone here when they come up in the px or send your rifle to SAI and they will mount one on there for you.

There are 2 styles of the SAI one, they both have the bottom snap in piece. 1) extended top rail mounts to the stripper clip guide dove tail like yours. 2) this top rail stops where the rail ends at the rx ring (where hand guard would end).
If you get on the SAI web site you can see the 2 offerings by them.

Edit: pic added

·
Registered
55 Posts
The first picture is a rare extended SOCOM II cluster rail that ONLY Springfield sells. In order to get one of those you have to send your rifle to Springfield and wait a month to get them to install it for you or find someone who wants to sell theirs. Springfield will not mail one to you to install yourself. The lower half of the rail has two spring loaded tabs that you pull back and unhinge from the top half. It can fit on any regular stock or similar, including the JAE stock. There are actually four mounting points on the extended version as shown in the first picture, so it's very secure. There are two on the receiver, one on the stripper clip guide, and one on the op rod guide. I have one for sale now that's in excellent condition for a reduced price if you want to buy it. Take a look at it in the PX or on my profile. I have pictures also. Feel free to PM me.

·
In the gilded halls of Valhala
13,515 Posts
Just attach a rail!

I put a MAGPUL rail on mine. It's easy.

Use red locktite if you want to make it permanent.

Even easier get a Troy rail set then go to Home Depot and get slightly longer screws.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
So basically, I just need to buy http://www.brownells.com/rifle-part...s/ar-15-add-on-rails-prod25012.aspx?source=ir

Then actually drill into my stock, put a washer/nut on the inside with some locktite, and then I'm good to go.

Can someone explain this rail to me? would this one be a better option as I assume the hollow piece would be put inside the stock, to give the screw something to hold onto correct? would this be better for a foregrip to spread the stress out?

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/19...nting-hardware-ar-15-handguard-aluminum-black

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.