M14 Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got my poly tech about two years ago. It's an oldie, SN 23XX. I don't have a gauge to check the TE and muzzle wear with, so I'm pretty much stuck with using the old stick a round head first into the muzzle to gauge wear, which I haven't done. (Does this make me a bad owner?) Anyway, the groups I shoot with this rifle from the bench have opened up pretty good lately, which should be a good indicator in of itself. My only question is, what else should I check with the resources I have to ascertain that the barrel is worn, as opposed to some ouher problem? I should mention that the rifle has the original barrel, with an unspecified number of rounds through it. I don't know what date the rifle's SN puts it at, but I would imagine early or mid 80's. Different?

·
Registered
177 Posts
Just a thought before I'd go and accuse a barrel of not doing it's job is check the bedding and make sure the rifle doesn't move around in the wood much .
I'm sure there are other things that would make a difference too .

Jack

·
Registered
4,041 Posts
Just a thought you may check headspace first, then I would check stock lockup, then bedding (if it's bedded) You may also give it a good cleaning and try different ammo.
Just a few random thoughts
SHADOW

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I don't have a headspace gauge, so I'm not able to do that at this time...However, I got the rifle back from Ron Smith about eight months ago for the Chicom bolt conversion, so I'm confident that headspace is an issue.
It is not bedded, but the fit in the stock is good and tight. And I keep her very clean.

·
Registered
4,057 Posts
:D I am assuming you have a Chrome Lined Barrel! Do you have any Idea approxemately how many Rounds are thru the Barrel?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
geiman said:
Don't forget to check the rear sight for movement. The barrel often times gets the blame when actually the problem is movement or wear in the rear sight.

geiman
No movement on the rear sight. In fact, the original rear sights the came with the rifle were on the crappy side, so I had Ron put GI sights on it when I sent it off for the bolt conversion.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Trung Si said:
:D I am assuming you have a Chrome Lined Barrel! Do you have any Idea approxemately how many Rounds are thru the Barrel?
The barrel is chrome-lined. It is the original chinese barrel for the rifle. I don't know how many rounds through it, but judging by the receivers serial number, the barrel is anywhere from 15 to 20 years old.

·
Registered
4,057 Posts
:D CopperJacket! I am afraid you got me on this one, If yor Barrel is Good and Chrome lined it should be OK for at LEAST 12000 Rounds, You are saying that every thing is tight including your Flash Suppressor, I have shot out more than five Barrels in my Career, and I am aware that your Groups open up gradually but I also found that I would get the occasional Flyer or shots out of Call.Check your Ammo I had a Chinese Barrel in the late 80s that did not like 168gr Bullets only Surp. or 150 MKs, I also had an H&R Barrel that did not like 168s and this Barrel was done after only 3000 Rounds,however I did not kow how many it had thru it before I got it! At this point I dont know what to tell you? It may be someone on this Excellent Board Can! #-o

·
Registered
76 Posts
Age of the barrel has nothing to do your problem, its the number of rounds through it and how they've been fired. (slow, rapid, # of shots between cleaning, etc.)

I've had my share of " somethings wrong with this rifle" when it turns out to have been me.

I have a Poly in the 14XXX range that shoots just fine, not a "tack driver" but a good battlerifle. Whenever I start to think that there might be something wrong with the rifle I discover that its me. Inconsistant spot weld, failure to focus on the front sight, improper breath control, poor trigger control, lack of followthrough, even the dreaded flinch.

You'd have to put a lot of rounds down the pipe for you to have shot out the barrel. As Trung Si pointed out the life expectancy of your barrel is 12,000 rnds. That is a LOT for the average shooter.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I realize that age has nothing to do with the accuracy of the barrel. I only mentioned the age to point out that the opportunity for thousands and thousands of rounds to have been put through the barrel exists. Other than that, I have no way to gauge how many rounds have actually been put through it.

G

·
Befor you take that rifle apart, I would head in the direction of the most common problem, copper fouling. Get yourself some JB bore paste and give it a good cleaning. You might be pleasently surprised.

Chief

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.