M14 Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've recently bought another M1A and apparently, the former owner had made a trigger job to lighten the trigger.

Now, the trigger weights 4.2 lb.

The problem is that to make some service rifles competitions in France, you shall not go down 4.4 lb !

My trigger is then too light and I'd like to make it a little bit heavier (something like 4.8lb)

What shall I do ? Any piece of the trigger group to change ?

Thanks for your help !

·
Registered
2,122 Posts
Super easy fix bro, get a strip of emery cloth (med to fine grit) & put it between the sear & the trigger with the abrasive side towards the trigger (NOT the sear) & sand away! - Basically what this is doing is adding more engagement surface, it doesn't take much, take your time & check often - I have to do this every so often on my NM trigger groups as will you!

·
Registered
3,296 Posts
YES, the method described above is the standard way to add weight to the trigger pull.

It slightly lengthens the 2nd stage engagement of the front hammer hooks and the lugs on the trigger.
This additional engagement adds weight to the trigger pull.
It might also add a very slight amount of 'creep' to the 2nd stage, but the trigger pull will still be very good.

Jay Kosta
Endwell NY USA

·
Registered
3,296 Posts
I can't see all of your picture on my computer...

In USGI terminology, the 'sear' is the wedge shaped piece on the top and rear of the trigger.
The forward position of the sear is controlled by the piece of the trigger bar that it presses against.
Removing a little metal allows the sear to move forward a little distance, and that results in the 2nd stage of trigger pull happening when there is more engagement of the front hammer hooks & the lugs on the trigger.

Look carefully at how the 1st and 2nd stages of trigger pull work - it is fairly complicated.
Be sure to control the hammer so that it does not fall hard while you are looking at it.

Jay Kosta
Endwell NY USA

·
Registered
3,296 Posts
Yes, your most recent picture shows the correct location.
The smooth side of the emery cloth is against the sear, and the cutting side is against the bar that the sear pushes against.

Just put a strip of emery in that location and firmly pull it out.
Check the trigger pull weight frequently, and be sure to clean away all the dust that accumulates.

Jay Kosta
Endwell NY USA

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.