M14 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Super Moderator
11,120 Posts
Use Citri-strip and a stiff nylon brush and scrub the old paint off. Use JB Weld to fill in any dents or chips and sand flush. Use 220 to get a good smooth texture, but not so smooth that the paint won't stick to it. You want it to be dull but smooth.

Clean with denatured alcohol and apply a good base layer; maybe some sort of primer. I don't know what paint is good for a base layer as I'm doing the same thing right now and still have to decide.

I'm contemplating getting a duracoat kit or just putting down a primer layer and having the thing hydro-dipped.

Tony.

·
Registered
2,846 Posts
I just use Acetone to get any oil or grease off, then do a little sanding. I don't worry about getting the existing finish off if it's sound as I just use rattlecan Krylon or Rustoleum to refinish.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I have no idea what kind of binder they use to make the fiberglass stocks, but id stay away from heavy solvents to clean because you may risk breaking down the binder and ruining the stock....especially if you've sanded through the paint. Stick with alcohol or soap and water.

·
Registered
4,415 Posts
I have no idea what kind of binder they use to make the fiberglass stocks, but id stay away from heavy solvents to clean because you may risk breaking down the binder and ruining the stock....especially if you've sanded through the paint. Stick with alcohol or soap and water.
I agree, I have not seen many plastics that acetone will not mess with in a bad way. Denatured alcohol, mineral spirits, Naptha, or soap and water with a scrub brush should all do the job good without any worries of melting or breaking down the resin in the fiberglass. I do a water/soap scrub followed by a denatured alcohol rub down on all my plastics and fiberglass I paint. There are surface prep solvents out there but I have never tried them.

·
Registered
561 Posts
I have a few pictures of a Fred fiber USGI stock I did with steel wool and 220 grit sandpaper and Krylon pain on my album page, it's the same picture of my avatar, this was my first attempt. I was happy with the was it came out...good luck

1 - 8 of 8 Posts