M14 Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
"Death From Above"
11,924 Posts
It's pretty easy of you have to correct size roll pin punch. The spindle valve is spring loaded. You basically just use the roll pin punch and small hammer and tap it out. The roll pin punch has a small protrusion on the end to keep it centered on the pin. The two roll pin punches you may want to buy for the m14 is the 1/16 and 5/64. The one required fir the spindle valve roll pin is 1/16. Roll pin starters are a big help as well when getting them started. They have a hollow tube at the end. Nothing a needle nose pliers can't do but you need three hands or a wife. Lol. She has held the gas cylinder on a couple I put together.

·
"Death From Above"
11,924 Posts
Guess I am the odd man out. Never really found it difficult. Tools make it easier I guess. I found that with commercial spindle valves and GI gas cylinders some require a good deal of fitting to have them spin propperly. I use emry cloth and his them up with cold blue once I get them fitting properly. You want them to move freely when installed. You will run into this Re parked or melonited parts.

Might I ask why you want to remove the roll pin? If your spindle valve is moving freely why mess with it.

·
Registered
5,751 Posts
You're not the odd one Warren, it's easy with the right stuff. I also put a couple layers of masking tape under the roll pin on each side to keep from marring the cylinder. Tap it out with the 1/16" punch. Done.

Install... Put the 1/16" punch in the spindle valve hole to hold it in place, use a roll pin punch starter and tap it in. Finish it off with the 1/16" punch. Remove the tape. Done.

I just did this a couple days ago, took about 15 minutes start to finish. I did it sitting on the couch, nothing flew anywhere, nothing got lost.

·
Registered
2,672 Posts
Correct tools make this a very simple job as has been stated.
Roll pin starter and roll pin punch.

·
Registered
98 Posts
I have a polytech side stamped @ while removing the spindle valve spring it fell out when spring tension was removed.I plan to redloctite it when replacing.If wrong let me know.

·
Banned
351 Posts
I have a polytech side stamped @ while removing the spindle valve spring it fell out when spring tension was removed.I plan to redloctite it when replacing.If wrong let me know.
I would not do that. I'm not sure that I completely understand. Did you lose the spring, are you just going to slip the spindle in without the spring, loctite it, and install the roll pin?

The spindle has a hole in it for the gas to reach the barrel. That hole needs to be aligned perfectly. There is enormous, and very hot gas pressure going through it. Not sure that loctite would be up to the job.

The spindle valve is held in correct position by spring pressure and the groove in the wall of the GC for the roll pin.

Put it back together the way it's supposed to be, and avoid any problems is my advice.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.