M14 Forum banner
21 - 25 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
I conducted a case life study for M72 brass in my match chambers and I have a LC65 Match case I have loaded 157 times and primer pocket is still tight and no signs of incipient separation.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Do you anneal the case neck and shoulder?
On the 157 round test I stress relieved with a candle every three shots for the sake of speed.

On my match ammo I tumble with stainless steel pins after full length resizing WITH NO EXPANDER. When the cases come out of the tumbler I stress relieve them with propane torch which dries the inside of the case.

Then I run a separate expander into neck to open the neck to where I want it. For instance on my long range ammo I use a .3075 expander which is alll loaded single shot NOT FROM MAG. For ammo that will see the mag I expand with a .306 expander.

Above is detailed instructions and I can perfectly duplicate the tint of LC Match. If you turn the neck red hot you have ruined the neck. Frankford arsenal rotated cases in flames at 30 RPM for about 6 seconds.

Reactions: lumpy grits

·
Registered
2,416 Posts
Hello, Hadn't seen this one before...
I love it when you guys get down too the real "nitty gritty" on the art of reloading. I just soak it up.

Hummer, your knowledge is amazing. Thanks for all the help you have given me by your sharing with post on this forum.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
I was fortunate because I worked for the Army Small Cal Lab at Picatinny in the weapons section and I was a highpower shooter and there were other highpower shooters that worked in the ammo section and Col Frank Hackley (the ammo writer) was Chief of Staff at ARRADCOM. Frank just passed about two months past and he was a real ammo lover and I got him to pull his files on stress relieving case necks as he was last Commander of Frankford Arsenal and he was ordered to shut it down so he ordered copies of all the engineering files copied before they shipped them to the mine.and he went through the data and got me the time in temperature specs for ammo.

Marty Tyska was the most ardent highpower shooter in ammo section and told me exactly how to do it and he also had a saying that if you get a split neck in GI 30/7.62 cal brass it is your fault and not the ammo. The only way you should discard a match case is to wear out the primer pocket.

Jim Hettle did the work on the M852 round. If you check the drawings for M852 you will see he signed them. FAIK he is still living. He sent me a hard copy of his test report and he also sent me a copy on PDF.

Reactions: Defiant001
21 - 25 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.