M14 Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Retired Admin
I lost all my firearms in the Rio Grande when the barge hit a sandbar and sank.
22,969 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)

· Registered
1,887 Posts
I would surmise this system can be used for other sources of heat also, ceramic heaters or electric heaters and can be supplied right off of auto, truck. Even a halogen or heat tape beats frozen pipes.

Great information....Thanks

· Premium Member
22,387 Posts
No commercial electric, no problem. Been using this old wood heater for 45 years. I don't even have a furnace in the house. When I built the place I designed it for gravity heat. No blowers or any fans required. With the bi-metal draft control we can maintain 70 degs in the entire house even when outside temp drops below zero. Does require some effort splitting the wood and keeping a supply on hand. White plastic pipe running down the wall is for outside air. No draft around widows or doors as there is no negative pressure created in the house. We do have a small backup generator to keep the freezer, refrigerator, water pump , lights and most important our tv and internet connection operational. Fancy heat plenum around the stove is our old bilco door. Works like a champ with a 3' x 4' grate in the floor above. Whatta Hobby!

Wood Wall Gas Building material Machine

· Registered
994 Posts
This stove will keep the house warm a day when it's 0 oF, takes 26" logs. Be almost out by then but still warm. I can cook on it too.

Full woodrack lasts two weeks in cold New England weather.

It is scribe rule frame mortise and tennon ash, from trees I milled from my woods. Laid out without a tape or square or modern tools. Just a chalk line and a divider/compass and plumb bob (see layout marks and joinery)

I've got oil/kerosene lamps/lanterns for light.

P.S. Goex FFg can and Hurricane lantern on the mantle are both empty

Wood Flooring Houseplant Floor Hearth

Brown Wood Natural material Trunk Rectangle

Table Wood Rectangle Plant Wood stain

Attachments

34 Posts
I would surmise this system can be used for other sources of heat also, ceramic heaters or electric heaters and can be supplied right off of auto, truck. Even a halogen or heat tape beats frozen pipes.

Great information....Thanks
It won't work with electric heaters. The inverter is powering the fan and control circuitry of the furnace. The heat is generated by the FUEL burned in the furnace. That would be heating oil, natural gas or propane. Three car batteries through an inverter wouldn't power an electric heater for very long. Ohm's law Power in watts equals voltage times current. Don't bank on that or you will freeze in short order.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts