M14 Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
Custom service rifle builder
8,728 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can't remember if I posted this before, but here is an example of how to get out of the RF4C when it seems the fire in the right engine isn't going to go out by itself. Courtesy of the Nevada Air National Guard, this happened 35 or so years ago. Picture taken from another RF4C using it's KA-56 low pan camera. I was the official photographer at the crash site, but of course they took all my film for the investigation. Not much left except a big smoking hole. The crew got out OK.

·
Registered
8,728 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
With the exception of shoulder fired SAMS I don't know of any Iraq kills of our aircraft. An FA18 came back to Bahrain with a hit on one engine, but was still able to make it back. The AC130 that went down in the gulf was brought down by a SA7 or 9. All the crew were lost. SA2, 3 and 6 missiles were being fired ballisticly without guidance. I don't think any were effective during Desert Storm. The Wild Weasels prevailed!

Reactions: nf1e

·
Registered
8,728 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The NVANG RF4C went down in Spanish Springs about 20 miles north of Sparks, NV. It was on landing approach to the Reno/Tahoe airport, returning to base. A bolt sheared in a fuel pump, cracking the pump housing. That caused the engine fire.

·
Registered
327 Posts
The NVANG RF4C went down in Spanish Springs about 20 miles north of Sparks, NV. It was on landing approach to the Reno/Tahoe airport, returning to base. A bolt sheared in a fuel pump, cracking the pump housing. That caused the engine fire.
I'm curious Ted; didn't the F4 have the ability to shut off the fuel to that engine?

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
What a coincidence I am reading about the NVANG presently.

McD"s Phantom II was kind of unstable with a lot of compromises to fly. Those J79's could deliver when asked. To bad they did not have thrust vectoring or a little bit bigger wing with more fuel capacity, allot more fuel, those J's could get with the program.

I worked at the Aircraft Plant in St. Louis a few times over the years, construction. And I think that between the Phantom and the Eagle on takeoff the Phantom seemed louder, thundering, although the Eagle had 8,000 more lbs of afterburner thrust per Pratt Whitney Turbofan.

And the Eagle would viking get to angels, roll under and drift off. Working at the end of the runway and having McD Fighters take off a few hundred feet over your head makes quite an impression, permanent smile, and chasing my hardhat.

When the 131st Fighter Wing was at Lambert we could expect sorties everyday. Not counting the Plant testing new or maintained Aircraft. Hornets, Harriers, Eagles, Now the Eagle EX the T-X Trainer.

Its not all fun and glory flying Combat Aircraft. And it is a fallacy, crime that the Pilots, Aviators are treated the way they were,are just because they need, require seat time to stay razor sharp. The Best in the world, Pilots, Aviators in all Branches are leaving the Service of their Country because they can not do their job because of bleeding resources to unmanned aircraft.

What happens if we go HOT? Send in the drones.

·
Read Only
340 Posts
Thanks for the time frame Ted.

Reason I asked was I was stationed at Nelis 83-86 working EOD and wondered if I had worked this crash.

·
Registered
8,728 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Of the variations of the F4 Phantom, the RF4C was the fastest. It was also a very stabile camera platform and could out perform most other fighters at low altitude. Just before the last RF4 was retired, one was arbitrarily taken off the flight line in Reno and used to set several closed course speed records over the Black Rock Desert. That was in 1995. I was not a pilot, but had the pleasure of flying in the back seat once and actually had the stick while performing some aerobatics over Pyramid Lake. It was great and probably the most fun I ever had with my clothes on!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.