M14 Forum banner

How To Clean Unused Die With "Pooled" Oil

1K views 16 replies 8 participants last post by  JEFFJP_N_JJ 
#1 ·
I got a new/old stock die, but it had been sitting for years, causing the factory oil to move to the bottom of the cylinder and congeal. I am not sure how to re-lube it after degrease and clean it.

I found instructions for cleaning and getting the bits of rust off, but there is conflicting info on what kind of protective oil to use. I assume an extra-light penetrating oil is the way to go, but I think the combined smarts here will have the best answers.

Note that I rotated the die to show where the old lube concentrated. It has a copper-like color:

Light Gas Composite material Engineering Rim

See less See more
#2 ·
Don't overthink it. Clean and protect it like you would a rifle barrel stored in the same conditions.

#6 · (Edited)
I did find instructions from one of the best die makers about initial cleaning and lubing dies before using. The only thing it didn't mention was what kind of oil to use.

Thank you @nicholst55 and @Earthquake for the replies.

EDIT To Add:
I also found a meh video. I give it a "meh" because it suggested WD-40 to protect the external parts. Other than that, it was OK.

#8 ·
Hello, ^^^^ Nay
Very, very light coating of gun oil/CLP of your choice. You want to protect against rust while in storage or non use time.
After cleaning my dies, I just spray them down(with rag in palm of hand) then wipe down and reassemble like any rifle or hand gun. You can ad an desiccant packet in the die storage box if, in a humid region as some extra protection.
Keep it simple.

#15 ·
Hello,
To bad you can not buy it at any hardware store in Ca.(naptha solvent). Closest thing would be Colemans Camp stove fuel, I believe?.
It's just another forbidden item here.... Damned, tree huggers and environmentalist ,everything is known to cause cancer here.
Ain't that the truth!

Naptha can really do some harm, but with adequate protection (gloves) and a well-ventilated area minimizes the risk. Same goes for TCE, break cleaners, acetone, isopropyl alcohol, and even ethyl (drinking) alcohol.

But hey... I'm glad California's government is protecting you from yourself! :rolleyes:

#13 ·
Naphtha (zippo fluid) or mineral spirits to clean. I just spray some Hornady one shot case lube inside to prevent rust. The only dies I’ve ever had rust were a set I loaned out and buddy stored them in his non climate controlled shop in South Georgia. They cleaned up with 0000 steel wool. Relubed with one shot and they’re still good.

#14 ·
I use Hornady one shot, so I'm inclined to go with it for the same reason I use Tetra grease only with Tetra oil, and when I used Mobil 1 oil, I used only Mobil 1 grease. Who knows what would happen if different products were on the same rifle? There could be a chemical reaction which could cause tarnish, gumming up, and/or poor lubrication.

I don't think I'll put any inside a resizing die, unless for storage. I'm inclined to think enough HOS from the cases would remain to give some protection.

#17 ·
I never clean MY dies unless there is an issue which has been very rare...

Have cleaned with a paper towel but would prefer flushing it out ,with, and then wiping it dry with crossion X

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.