M14 Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
Token Libtard
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
NERD ALERT: This is going to be somewhat technical as far as computers go, but it's nothing that you shouldn't be able to do on your own if you have a few brain cells that still rub together.

Ads suck. Some of them are really annoying, and others are entirely malicious and will infect your computer. A website owner typically has little control over how ads are implemented (just like TV broadcasters have little to no control over the content of commercials), so blocking them is common. There's a few ways to do this.

1. Install an adblocker on your web browser. If you're using Chrome or FireFox, this is done very easily with browser extensions. They're like programs you install into your browser that block ads. 'uBlock' is a great one.

In general, they do the job, but many websites are capable of detecting them and they can deny you access to that site/content unless you disable the ad-blocker, which defeats the point entirely. You also have to install it on every browser you use, and it only blocks ads on things you use a web browser to view (so phone apps and such will still get ads).

2. The big guns - block ads before they can detect anything about your computer. The downside is that this is going to cost a little bit of cash because you need some additional hardware (unless you have a spare computer that you don't use, ever). This is the method I'll explain for in more detail.

When you go to a website, there's the content you went there to see and there's ads that are served to that site from the ad sponsor (typically linked from that sponsor's website). If you redirect traffic from known ad servers (there are extensive lists I'll leave below), you can tell your router to IGNORE content from these servers and only show content from the site(s) you intend to visit.

You'll need a Raspberry Pi. It's a small, cheap ($35) computer that can sort your internet traffic for you. Full instructions on setting that up can be found at https://pi-hole.net/

I've been running one for 3-4 years and EVERY DEVICE on my network (i.e. connected to my WiFi) doesn't see ads. When friends come over and use their phones connected to my WiFi, they don't get ads, either. Best of all, there is nothing to install on every device. There are some exceptions to which ads still make it through. Ads on YouTube videos are stored on the same servers as the content on YouTube, so you can't block those servers without blocking YouTube entirely, but this is a very rare exception. For the most part, you will never see another ad ever again.

·
Registered
8,082 Posts
? So does this route everything thru Facebook or google?

·
Premium Member
Token Libtard
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
? So does this route everything thru Facebook or google?
Ha. No.

When you go to a website (i.e. www.m14forum.com), your home router refers to a table to look up what the "real" internet address is (which is 4 numbers separated by periods). This is called its IP address. For example, 104.16.69.82 is the IP addresses for this site. When you type in www.m14forum.com you are actually connecting to 104.16.69.82. This is part of how the internet works, and we can use it in our favor here.

When you install the Pi-Hole, you are adding a 'blacklist' of web addresses to never connect to. When your router goes to look up an IP address, it checks it against this blacklist before going to the table it normally would. If there's match, it doesn't even look up the IP, it doesn't connect to that IP, and whatever was supposed to be displayed from that IP (i.e. the ad) never comes through. The rest of the website will display normally, as long as it is also not on the blacklist. There is nothing advertisers can do about this because they aren't made aware that you've done it in the first place (which isn't the case when you use an ad-blocker installed into your browser).

By default, the blacklist is set to a list of known ad-servers, but you can add/remove whatever websites you want to your own blacklist - it's entirely under your control. If you want to block Facebook/Google/Amazon, you can do that.

·
Registered
333 Posts
I have had good luck with Firefox and ad blocker plus. If any website tells me I need to disable it I don't and wont. There are other sites I can find that don't block...

·
Registered
348 Posts
Of course....you could just use the work of others that's offered for free at GitHub. Replace your hosts file and call it done. For Windows users that'll usually be located at C:\Windows\System32\drivers\etc\hosts

This method is not without potential drawbacks, if a site has dependencies on the blocked addresses. Mostly just works.

·
Registered
516 Posts
Firefox with strict cookie control, Duckduckgo (DDG) home/search. Extensions installed are, DDG privacy essentials, Ad Block Plus, Firefox strict popup blocker, Privacy Badger, HTTPS Everywhere, and Firefox multi account containers. I also run a VPN service. I also clear all cookies and data at least once or twice a week.

I see no ads, popups, naked anything etc... Not here or anywhere else. Once I assign each website to a specific container tab, just be sure to clik the "remember me" box and log in works every time. Some sites might need disabling one or more extensions, so the decision has to be made if it's worth it or not.

Firearms websites sometimes require disabling my VPN, usually when I'm connected to a server outside the country. Like others have said, usually if some site insists I shut off my adblock or something, I go elswhere.
Sometimes, like when looking for obsolete parts for my ancient equipment it's unavoidable.

·
Registered
696 Posts
Nic and you other puter s
KIMG0313.JPG
KIMG0312.JPG
avey guys, what the heck are these blockers on my old PC? Big grey circles on thread pages and stars and lightning bolts on the home page.
I don't get them on my Android phone so I'm guessing something in my PC settings.
I appreciate all the tips but most of it is Greek to me. ( Insert rock emogie here)

·
Registered
516 Posts

·
Premium Member
Token Libtard
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Big grey circles on thread pages and stars and lightning bolts on the home page.
I don't get them on my Android phone so I'm guessing something in my PC settings.
Your browser is incorrectly sizing some icons from the site and making them giant. Stop using Internet Explorer or Edge. They’re the steel-case-ammo of internet browsers. Might be good enough for some things but you can do so much better.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts