M14 Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Searching for USGI barrels....Seen some, but prices are all over the place..Guess it depends on condition, but what's the most you would pay for a USGI barrel for your build? No, I'm not trying to sell one...An honest question..- Thanks Tim

·
Registered
4,580 Posts
As a general rule of thumb on any kind of machine parts....... I compare the cost of "current production of equal quality price" with the price of a vintage part of equal quality. If I can buy an American made, current production widget for $100.00 then I'd be willing to pay up to $50 for a vintage (98%) widget.

On parts, when I reach the point of paying more than 50% for a used part, the risk to reward factor kicks in. There are tons and tons of 98% parts out there that are worthless because someone put a dint, ding or cut in the wrong place.

Let the buyer beware...... Caveat Emptor

Hobo

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
As a general rule of thumb on any kind of machine parts....... I compare the cost of "current production of equal quality price" with the price of a vintage part of equal quality. If I can buy an American made, current production widget for $100.00 then I'd be willing to pay up to $50 for a vintage (98%) widget.

On parts, when I reach the point of paying more than 50% for a used part, the risk to reward factor kicks in. There are tons and tons of 98% parts out there that are worthless because someone put a dint, ding or cut in the wrong place.

Let the buyer beware...... Caveat Emptor

Hobo
Wise words......The older barrels that have been on and off rifles are scary to buy "sight unseen"..Thanks Tim

·
Registered
3,891 Posts
I have a whole bunch of USGI barrels in my stash, bought them one at a time from the usual sources.

Having been through that, and having gotten some really bad ones and had to deal with all those problems, my best advice now is don't buy a USGI barrel unless it is certified new in the tube. It's just too much trouble and too expensive. If you are building a collector-grade all USGI gun, then by all means go for it but be prepared to deal with all of the hassle that comes with trying to find a good low round count 50 year old barrel. It ain't easy.

My best advice, if you don't absolutely have to have all-USGI for collector reasons, or legacy to your kids, or pure romance or whatever, is just buy a Criterion chrome lined. Half the price, better quality, and a company that has to stand up for it's name if there's a problem.

Having said that, here's me the kook with a whole case full of USGI barrels. GI3

·
Super Moderator
11,120 Posts
My best advice, if you don't absolutely have to have all-USGI for collector reasons, or legacy to your kids, or pure romance or whatever, is just buy a Criterion chrome lined. Half the price, better quality, and a company that has to stand up for it's name if there's a problem.
^^^^^^^^^^ THIS^^^^^^^^^ +1000

Tony.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts