M14 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1,585 Posts
A comercial building is restricted to 300 pounds (inside) by most fire and safety codes.

I normally have 100 pounds (five 20 pounders)for the winter emergencies available in my garage.

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
Storing Propane will cause you pain in the end.

You can store a lot of propane in house given the cubic feet that a typical house can hold. Rural houses often have the issue with leaking propane settling in the basement, (propane is 1.5 times heavier than air) and then a spark occurs, and then the house is lifted 4 to 10 feet off the foundation, and then gravity proceeds to further demolish the house. I have seen the after effects on 4 or 5 occasions. Oh yea - I forgot to mention the resulting fire that will occur immediately after the explosion. Definitely an "E-Ticket" ride if you are in the house when it occurs - that is if you survive.
So no don't store propane in your house.

Common sense rules apply:
Don't weld on a gas tanks.
Don't use gasoline to "clean" the garage floor.
Don't store all your nuclear materials in one place. (Something about multiplying the radioactivity, and at some point achieving critical mass)

·
Rest in Peace
17,536 Posts
I have a grill/BBQ with a side burner that uses 20lb bottles. I have four bottles for it. But also have one of the poles that attach to the bottle that a LP lantern fits on the top. Makes it easier for cooking after sundown in the Florida heat in the summer.

I have used LP tanks that had sat 10 years plus & the fuel was fine. I bring that up because I have thought of a 500 gallon tank in the yard & a LP generator.

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
HH:

I recently installed a 20kw generator and have a 500 and a 1000 gal tank to run it and gas logs.

To the OP:

I stored a propane tank in my basement as a spare. The woodstove was going full blast (in the basement)and then I heard the tank let off pressure. It immediately went outside. Be careful of the heat building up where it is stored.

·
Registered
7,441 Posts
I keep some one pound bottles indoors, for the campstove. Keep a large tank indoors and you're asking to either smother yourself or to turn your home into a MOAB.

·
Rest in Peace
17,536 Posts
I've an old about 15cuft chest freezer in the yard I keep spare gasoline & 20lb LP bottles in. I have a locking hinge on it which is required by law. Could do the same thing with an old refrigerator.

·
Super Moderator
11,388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well we were just thinking that if there was an outage, we have water and food but no way to cook beside camp stove. I live within the city, for now, and in a "Town Home" at that. We were thinking about the 20# propane tanks or the little 1# bottles. We were thinking of using the crawl space for storage, but that may be a bad idea.

How much propane would we need to cook for a month?

By the way, we have accumulated about 70# of rice, all mylar sealed as well as dry black beans. We've got about 10 cases of water bottles now and the wife has been buying Auguson Farms dry food.

With the wife graduating in 8 months, hopefully we'll be into a bigger home and away from the city in 16 months or less.

Thanks,
Tony.

·
Registered
7,441 Posts
Tony, the 1 lb bottles last quite a while on a campstove but the final answer is that it will depend on what you're cooking. It's a big reason why I tend to favour things like canned food, instant mashed potatoes, and quick cook oatmeal for disaster prepping. Dried beans are gonna take hours and hours to cook, canned beans about 3 minutes to heat up. And you can always eat them cold.

·
Super Moderator
11,388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Tony, the 1 lb bottles last quite a while on a campstove but the final answer is that it will depend on what you're cooking. It's a big reason why I tend to favour things like canned food, instant mashed potatoes, and quick cook oatmeal for disaster prepping. Dried beans are gonna take hours and hours to cook, canned beans about 3 minutes to heat up. And you can always eat them cold.
Thanks. Our rice usually takes 20 minutes and the beans, we soak but we don't eat dried beans that often. Mostly will be for making dehydrated and canned foods. We're getting there as far as food goes for a grocery shortage but we though about it last night and we'd be SOL if there was a major wind storm or grid failure that knocks out power. Our meats would spoil. We buy a quarter cow and 1/2 a pig at a time and we haven't learned to can yet, but that's coming after she graduates.

Maybe next payday we'll invest in a canner instead of our $50 bi-weekly budget for food/water.

Tony.

·
Registered
2,441 Posts
Probably won't apply to Tony right now, but I had the propane guy install a "whip" on my bulk tank so I can fill 20# bottles. Fill isn't exactly what happens, equalize is more accurate, it allows the pressure to equalize between the bulk tank and the portable bottle. I also have one of those little doodads for filling 1# bottles from a 20#tank, it works the same way.

·
Registered
7,441 Posts
Thanks. Our rice usually takes 20 minutes and the beans, we soak but we don't eat dried beans that often. Mostly will be for making dehydrated and canned foods. We're getting there as far as food goes for a grocery shortage but we though about it last night and we'd be SOL if there was a major wind storm or grid failure that knocks out power. Our meats would spoil. We buy a quarter cow and 1/2 a pig at a time and we haven't learned to can yet, but that's coming after she graduates.

Maybe next payday we'll invest in a canner instead of our $50 bi-weekly budget for food/water.

Tony.
I tell people that if the power goes off for weeks, we won't lose all the meat in the freezer like they will (and we all did before), because I'll be able to can it. If the time comes, I don't see why that won't work as long as I keep enough empty jars and lids handy.

But canning my own stuff has really turned my preps around for the better. I have a lot more safe protein available and quite a larger amount of vegetables too. And I continue to thank HuntingHawk for getting me going on that, so thanks again Big Guy!

Reactions: tonyben

·
Super Moderator
11,388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
So I guess the more appropriate question now should be; How much propane should I store OUTSIDE my home for a month?

Let's just say for 2 hours a day for a month on a tabletop burner.

Tony.

·
Registered
7,441 Posts
I'm mostly a one burner cook on a camp stove but I've been known to go soft and use 2. If at least some of that time is for simmering, experience tells me that two 20 lb tanks with an adaptor attachment to fill 1 lb versions for indoors will easily last for that long with a good safety margin. But maybe there's a scientific way to work it out.

·
Banned
4,581 Posts
Another Good Question from the Guru

So I guess the more appropriate question now should be; How much propane should I store OUTSIDE my home for a month?

Let's just say for 2 hours a day for a month on a tabletop burner.

Tony.
------------
Being I know a bit more about your environment, I'll give my humble opinion.

Begin to collect the size propane tanks used on small RV's. Easily "hidden in plain sight" next to your bar BQ pit. The more easily to find size (5 gallons) for home bar BQ pits is my second choice. Many reasons. 1) Easy to move around / transport. 2) They won't break the bank when you have one filled, 3) They can be picked up at garage sales cheap. NOTE: If you end up with one that has the "old style" valve....... Simply take it to Home Depot (or others) and exchange it. For $25 you get a new tank full of propane..........

Good to have you poking around in my world...LOL

Hobo

·
Rest in Peace
17,536 Posts
Back in 2004 when the hurricanes struck here I found a 20lb bottle lasted three weeks. Though I had a generator I never used it for microwave or electric stove/oven. Early morning I used it to cook breakfast. Evenings when the sun went down I used it to cook supper but also used the bottle for a propane light to see to cook. Used the side burner more then the grill itself.

·
Rest in Peace
17,536 Posts
When you get into canning it means everything you put up is already cooked so only needs heated. And that can be critical come a SHTF. Canning is a prepper tool that shouldn't be ignored.

Buy meat on sale & veggies from a roadside stand collecting stuff in the freezer. You get stuff together & start canning especially stews & do it to your taste. And you can make stuff that actually has some meat in it, as much meat as you want. These stews can actually be eaten out of the jars cold but taste better heated up. And we are talking less then 5 minutes on low heat to heat them up.
What you can can is almost endless. Just need to go by the Ball Home Canning book for pressures & times.
My neighbor lady thought I was crazy the first time I handed her a jar of meatloaf. Now she cans her own.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts