M14 Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
In the gilded halls of Valhala
13,515 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How much to have on hand to repair damage to your home?

There are obvious levels of preparedness.

All I have is tarps and nails....

Does anyone have more? For example bricks?

What about fence components how much does the prudent prepper keep on hand?

What's the best way to repair severe exterior wall or roof damage for long term shtf?

·
Registered
172 Posts
A few sheets of plywood and a couple of rolls of peel and seal/ice dam (it like tar paper but heavier and its self adhesive). That would go along ways to repair a roof or wall. If you can keep it really dry (even from moisture in the air) some Portland cement would be handy.

·
Registered
826 Posts
I would keep fasteners (nails, screws, subfloor adhesive, caulking, tar, etc) and tools on hand, but not any repair materials. It would theoretically be easy to pirate materials from other places should the lumber yards become inoperable.

·
Registered
823 Posts
I keep have a variety of screws and nails. A sheet of 3/4 plywood, a couple sheets of 1/2 and some 2x4s. I have a couple tarps also. Caulk and gun are a staple in my house

·
Registered
893 Posts
I have a logosol portable chainsaw mill and twenty acres of timber. Also have traditional hand tools for timberframing. I can make a house/barn from scratch. Currently I have several thousand bf of air dried hardwoods on hand. Along with a bunch of timbers and planks.

The mill is slow and a lot of work but puts out quality lumber.

I have several square of shingles, a few rolls of ice/water, and pails of tar for the roof repairs. I also know how to make wooden shakes.

I do not have a stock of cement but there is plenty of stone for a dry stone foundation.

Also need to stock up on plumbing supplies. I have the tools but not the materials.

·
Registered
7,441 Posts
Tarps and sheet plastic for sure. Sheets of plywood to cover every window and door, nails to suit. Roofing materials, shingles and tar or to suit whatever you have up there already. An assortment of 2x4s, wooden beams, and boards- these used to accumulate naturally but now it's expensive to keep a lot of that stuff around, so an informed assortment. Large numbers of nails, screws, spikes. Bagged Portland cement is nice to have around, but it'll go bad (harden) if stored too long.

·
Registered
1,387 Posts
I have a logosol portable chainsaw mill and twenty acres of timber. Also have traditional hand tools for timberframing. I can make a house/barn from scratch. Currently I have several thousand bf of air dried hardwoods on hand. Along with a bunch of timbers and planks.

The mill is slow and a lot of work but puts out quality lumber.

I have several square of shingles, a few rolls of ice/water, and pails of tar for the roof repairs. I also know how to make wooden shakes.

I do not have a stock of cement but there is plenty of stone for a dry stone foundation.

Also need to stock up on plumbing supplies. I have the tools but not the materials.
ICONEEK I'd have a range off the deck with that amount of space, so jealous.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.