M14 Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have recently build an M14 with all USGI parts. It was a blast to build and the rifle shoots straight and true. But I worry I may have skipped out on the receiver. Instead of going for a forged one from LBR I went for an investment casting from SAI. I've had no troubles with it, but I am wondering all the same, would a forged one be worth it?

·
Read Only
3,779 Posts
I don't recall any SAI receivers having catastrophic failures due to casting. I don't think I'd worry about it. I'd be more worried about cast pieces parts like extractors, triggers, hammers.

·
Registered
2,135 Posts
Are they worth it yea. But honestly having a forged one versus a cast one really doesn't make any difference for any average shooter. Maybe 40 years ago it would but casting has come a long way. From what I know SAI has had zero receiver failures which seems to be a pretty good track record to me.

If you plan to rebarrel the rifle 50 times then a forged is definitely something I would recommend. But if you only plan to rebarrel the rifle 5 or 10 times in your lifetime a cast receiver will do just fine in my opinion.

·
Registered
2,722 Posts

·
Administrator
17,761 Posts

·
Administrator
17,761 Posts
I have a cast receiver from SAI, I have fired >16k rounds off of that cast platform receiver. I'm still alive.

DI5

Oh by the way, I do have a forged receiver from LBR with an Winchester build kit I collected.

Reactions: ray55classic

·
Registered
1,615 Posts
How it was explained to me.
A cast receiver will last somewhere from 250,000 to 350,000 rounds. Currently @ 50 cents a round that's $125,000 to $175,000 to test the longevity of the cast receiver.

Plus the cost to replace the barrel every 5K to 10K rounds. Throw in a new bolt or two every other barrel change. Say $400 per barrel change times 25 to 60 times for the life of the cast receiver. $10,000 to $24,000. New bolt @ $250 times 15 to 30 times for the life of the cast receiver. That adds another $3750 to $7500.

The forged receiver is supposed to last yet another 100,000 rounds. That just adds to the cost of more barrel replacements and bolt replacement costs that you could potentially have to pay for to further test the longevity of a forged receiver verses a cast receiver.

Has anyone here on this forum ever complained about a worn-out cast or forged receiver. - Nope....
My experience has been:
I have one rifle that I have put three barrels on so far. About 15,000 to 18,000 rounds fired so far with that SAI cast receiver. Back in the day 1000 rounds of surplus was $129 delivered (1980's). A 200 round battle pack or two per Saturday for a more than few years. Resulted in an infected bursitis sac in the right shoulder, which required every other day or so drainage of the puss, and a pic line for antibiotics. Fun times.

·
Registered
8,333 Posts
Not without me

I've got my bowl full.
I've got my bowl and saved a few moon pies and nehi's for an occasion just like this. I don't want to miss a thing.....

·
Administrator
17,761 Posts
1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.