M14 Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone here know how many total M-1A rifles and receivers have been made by Springfield Armory over the years?

I'm talking about the commercially produced rifle from Springfield Armory, Inc. / Springfield, Inc.

What serial number are they up to now?

·
Registered
7,571 Posts
Highest number seen to date may not reflect the actual number made. It could be more or less depending on how many were rejected or gaps in production. A good example is LRB Arms. They started at number 1200 and skipped the 100 receivers in the 1900 to 2000 range so there are at least 1300 missing from standard production. There were around 100 produced prior to this from leftover unfinished MKS production that wasn't confiscated by the BATF. LRB is pushing the 3900 serial number range now so only about 2600 have been produced in regular production. This doesn't include their M25 receivers which are up in the high 1400 range. M25 receivers started with serial number 10001 for an unknown reason. One just has to ignore the 10,000 that were not made. There are also a limited number of specially marked receivers like the T44-E4 series (about 80 units so far). Some companies have also done special serial numbers including SA who produced runs of Sports Models, There own version of an M25, IMF Sniper clones, and personal serial numbered receivers from custom orders.

·
Registered
203 Posts
I just opened the box on number 337581. The headspace tag is dated 06-02-2014. You really cant go by serial numbers as was stated above. Colt and Ruger are notorious for setting blocks of numbered receivers aside. I'm sure this happens with other makers as well.

·
Registered
588 Posts
God only know how many were made and shipped to modern military contracts(DMR)in the U.S. and other countries....."Sometimes reality isn't what it seems"-The Matrix

·
Registered
4,961 Posts
Not enough?

ICONWINK

·
Registered
1,594 Posts
You know, I was thinking just the other day, I wonder how many rifles are made each year?

·
Registered
10,929 Posts
You know, I was thinking just the other day, I wonder how many rifles are made each year?
320,000 rifles divided by 40 years equals 8,000 per year. RNGR2

I think the blue plastic shipping tag is a better indicator than the serial number.

·
Registered
4,415 Posts
The next time one of us calls SAI for something, we should ask the total number produced in all, and in the past years. That would be very interesting to see how the numbers increased or decreased each year. Of coarse, that is if they are willing to share this info and take the time to do so.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts