M14 Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5,610 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a USGI chrome lined barrel made by H&R in 1962. I shoot Irene quite a bit (I figure I have somewhere around 3 to 4 thousand rounds through her right now) and I was wondering what the life of one of these barrels is?

·
Registered
4,057 Posts
;) I think you have about 10000 or11000 to go until she gives up on you! :D

·
Eye Master
4,185 Posts
barrel life

I have heard that for a non-chrome lined barrel, throat erosion goes up by about 1 per 1,000 rounds fired. Given that a barrel is considered beat up by about a TE of 5, that says a regular barrel has a life of 5,000 rounds before it gets beyond service grade.

Chrome lined barrels will do better than regular barrels, so up my estimates.

Art

·
Super Moderator
12,062 Posts
Art7 I will disagree with you on this one, heat and erosion kills the throat and muzle not # of rounds, Hot and fast vrs. slow and go if a 1000rds ment that my t/e grew +1 then +2 then +3 my m1a would be wore out by now, I must have about 5000+ thru the wife`s rifle and it still shoots outstandingly sweet!! No its not chrome lined just a Springfield med. NM barrel nothing high doller or special.

·
Registered
980 Posts
FWIW, the SS NM medium weight Wilson barrel that came on my Loaded didn't start to show noticeable loss in accuracy until after 6K rounds (bench rested with a scope). However, it still shot better than me when shooting from position until over 7K rounds, when I started to get more flyers and my groups started to open up. I replaced it with a Barnett six groove 1:10 medium weight around 7.5K, but still haven't been able to get quite as tight of groups witht the Barnett as I did with the Wilson. Your mileage may vary.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.