M14 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
With the scuttlebutt again about a posisble Hi Cap Mag ban being revisited GI8... I was wondering what the general idea is of how many magazines is enough ?
I own three now, all 20 rounders, but plan to do alot more shooting when the weather warms. I was thinking maybe a couple more.... What say you guys ?

·
Registered
3,612 Posts
For my duty AR15 (and a few others) I have over 100, maybe 125. For my M14's I have around 15 for each. More is always better! There's a group buy brewing from .44MAG.com for CMI mags, the new USGI mag.

·
Registered
966 Posts
As many as you can afford, if you do not need them later, you can always sell them.

·
Registered
3,363 Posts
Duty rule of thumb: Pistols=3, Rifles=5

The 1994 abonination of gun laws caused me to have AT LEAST 10 per magazine fed weapon from then on, lest parts or replacements get tough. A lot of outstanding firearms (Galil, Valmet, etc) are "valuable" yet worthless to a shooter because mags cannot easi;ly be obtained. The new SCAR17 is worthless at this point for the same reason.

Buy em while you can get known quality at a good price, they don't go bad.

·
Read Only
2,230 Posts
7?

One in the rifle, six in the web gear / vest. That's 140 rounds. I for one can't carry much more than that.

·
Registered
3,997 Posts
Before the Last Presidential Election I purchased 2 case of 30 round AR15 Pmags below Whole Sale. Thinking the same thing,Oh well I still have them and will keep them for a while longer. Kind of wait and see attitude
Right now I have 29 M14 20 rounders soon to be 40

·
Registered
4,777 Posts
As many as your wallet can handle. Funny thing is I have about 100 for an AR15, don't even have an AR anymore! Guess 10yrs ad mil will do that...

·
Registered
64 Posts
i agree, 5 is a good minimum, 10 is an excellent # that would last forever if taken care of.
I like to buy mags in multiples of 5. Although because I don't have access to huge amounts of disposable income, so I usually don't buy more than 10. I only have 5 M14 mags, but with the addition of a second, I'll probably have to buy 5 more....

·
Registered
2,331 Posts
The magazine is the lifeblood of the weapon system.

Minimum 10 per.

·
Registered
424 Posts
You might want to gauge it off of how many you can carry out the door if the SHTF. My web gear has three Blackhawk M14 mag pouches that hold two each, so that's 6 mags of 20, which is heavy. Then I have two extra for switch outs in a gunfight that I keep in my dump pouch, so that's 8 mags.

I can't carry anymore than that without fumble fracking around, which makes me a Victim in a gunfight.

What's your purpose with the rifle? That's the question. Then load out to fill that purpose. Nobody can tell you that.

·
Registered
3,612 Posts
Agreed, load out is a good guide line. Also your A.O. will be a determining factor, and budget and long term planning can come into play.

However, there's some need that's satisified by opening a drawer/bin/safe packed with loaded magazines. I guess being able to stage loaded mags along your route to a BO location or having a bunch loaded in your retreat can be a viable plan.

Also not ever knowing what the political climate could become, magazines may never be cheaper than right now.

I guess after you've got ammo and spare parts and sufficient mags, why not stockpile more mags than you might need?

·
Registered
1,811 Posts
Interesting discussion. I myself have 18 mags for the M14, 14 of which are in pouches. But I also usually carry a can full of ammunition on stripper clips, as I find it easier to thumb load down the top than change (and carry) all those extra mags. If you have a scoped rifle, well, mags are your best (and only) option. I guess I just got into the SC habit with my Ar15's and bolt guns [i.e. 1903, K98, etc., and even my beloved SKS GI3] The AK variants want more mags, so I usually have at least 10 loaded ones on hand.

We won't even talk about the belt fed guns GI8

·
Registered
4,073 Posts
You might want to gauge it off of how many you can carry out the door if the SHTF. My web gear has three Blackhawk M14 mag pouches that hold two each, so that's 6 mags of 20, which is heavy. Then I have two extra for switch outs in a gunfight that I keep in my dump pouch, so that's 8 mags.

I can't carry anymore than that without fumble fracking around, which makes me a Victim in a gunfight.

What's your purpose with the rifle? That's the question. Then load out to fill that purpose. Nobody can tell you that.
I agree with the above but also think a person should keep several extra back at base (home) just in case.

I have one rifle and 30 plus mags at the moment. I keep 8 loaded mags on web gear, and have 4 others in mag pouches that I took off the web gear because it was too heavy. I plan on getting some type of belt so that I can attach those two mag pouches and a few others to it for a quick supply of ready to grab ammo in addition to my web gear. I also keep a .50 cal ammo can full of loaded mags in case I need to bug out if something catastrophic happens.

But another reason I have so many mags is that I either bought them through a group buy here or caught them on sale so I stocked up in the hopes that I will one day add another M14 or two to the gun safe.

·
Registered
637 Posts
I only have 5 20 rounders and 2 10's on hand now. I'm picking up several more 20's in the group buy. Like others have said, it depends on your situation. If all hell breaks loose and I have to flee the city with my family on foot there is no way I can carry more than what I already have. I will have a 20 loaded up in the rifle and the other 4 in the BOB. I will have my XD 40 with 4 spare mags as well. That right here is some serious weight considering I will have to cover 55 miles on foot to get to our hold out outside of town so that should be enough to protect us on the trip. There is plenty of firepower at the hold out so I'm not too concerned. If a vehicle is an option I will just toss in a few battle packs for back up.

Honestly I don't think any of us here will face a situation where we will need more than 100 rounds in such a short amount of time though. And in a true SHTF scenerio I'm not sure I want to be that guy walking around the chaos with a tac vest loaded down with mags and carrying an "assault" style rifle. I think that would make you a quick target for BG's lookin for ammo & more weapons. If I have to go scrounging I'm going with a concealed pistol and leaving the long guns back to hold down the fort. BG's will have no reservations about killing you for your mags or guns in that sort of situation.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Guys are talking about being able to carry the mags. My theory is this, why get a vest?? If you're gonna be on the move then you're prolly gonna have a backpack on, did you guys consider that?? To me it seems like the backpack is going to get in the way of alot of what the vests have to offer. The vest to me seems like more of a tactical assault thing, where guys are gonna go in and out, and be home for dinner.

If the SHTF you're prolly gonna be on the move to get to a safe location away from the masses, at least I know I will. My thoughts are this. Getting a few mag pouches from slingsonly.com. Putting them on a web belt with with a set of battle suspenders. That way the suspenders help distribute the weight of the web belt. Using a drop down thigh holster for my 1911, and another drop down thigh holster for pistol mags. This way your setup will be accesible and your backpack won't be in the way of your mag pouches.

With this being said, depending on how much you feel you can carry, the largest pouch will hold five M14 mags. Two pouches will hold ten mags, etc. So plan on this many mags per gun plus one in the weapon. Plan accordingly per gun as you'll prolly take a few trustworthy individuals with you who aren't going to be prepared such as yourself!! We tend to think a little differently then most people I noticed!! GITEN

My 0.02 cents...........................

P.S. I also plan to keep an eye on the XS Products drum mag, and many get a few of those when a available. Seems to me like they would be real gooooood to have to defend your safe spot when you finally get there. GI6

·
Registered
416 Posts
Don't worry about an actual loadout of what you would carry. We're talking about a law that could possibly prevent you from ever obtaining more mags, forever.

Buy what you can afford, but I'd at a minimum have 10 magazines for any rifle or handgun. Magazines wear out eventually, though they can last a long time. I'd also have enough in case I had to really use them, lost some accidentally, or had to lend some out.

That being said, 10 at a minimum, but preferably double that for a rifle. If they are cheap, as some AR-15 magazines are, buy a bunch. Having 50 mags for a gun isn't alot. I have friends that own M1A's and only have 3 magazines, and two are junk aftermarket copies... and they think they are prepared.

During the last ban, I bought two HK USP handguns (I think when they first came out), one in 9mm and the other in 40 S&W. Being anal as I am, I had bought around 15 magazines for each gun, before I had even bought the handguns! I bought the guns, the mag ban came, and ended up not liking the guns. I sold them off, and sold the rest of the mags for $80 each at a gun show just walking around with a sign on my back.

I remember plastic Ram-Line 30rd, Ruger 10/22 mags selling for $75 each. Prices go up when you can't have it anymore. Get what you're comfortable with, even if you don't plan on selling any. Get mags for stuff that you don't own, but will in the future. If your favorite #1 rifle is the M1A/M14 and you only have one of them, but might get another M1A in the future, buy enough mags for two rifles. You can always sell them, and it's amazing what suddenly becomes "valuable" when supply and demand come into play. A rifle with no magazines or ammo is just a club.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Point taken R4 fan. Other guys were using the vest thing to say how many mags they had. So I got a little off base in explaining how many I would buy per gun..

1 - 20 of 31 Posts