M14 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
3,649 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm sure that this has probably been covered, but I did a search and went back several pages and didn't see any threads specifically for this. So how many mags to you have total? What's your load out? Do you refurb your mags or just junk them?

I have about 120 AR15 mags. Mostly USGI metal mags, maybe a dozen steel English mags, and the rest Pmags (20 or so). My load out is six 30 round Pmags on my my Molle carrier and on my AR's I keep two 20 rounders (Boonie Packer Redimag installed). In my ruck I keep two bandoleers of 5.56 in strippers. I do refurb my mags with new followers and springs. I also have a Spike's Tactical .22LR conversion in my ruck with two mags.

For my M1A I have about 60 mags. Twenty five are T57's, the rest are USGI or CMI's. I have 4 of the CMI 25 rounders. My load out for the M1A is six mags on my Molle carrier and two 20 rounders on the rifle, one in the mag well and one in a butt mag pouch. I keep two bandoleers of stipper clipped 7.62X51 in my ruck. I also refurb my M14 mags with springs, followers and base plates.

For my side arm, a Glock 22, I carry two mags on my Molle carrier and two in my ruck. I have two of the Viking 32 round mags in my ruck also.

·
Registered
2,935 Posts
I liked the reply I read in a previous thread that however many you have you need one more. In your case, however, I can honestly say I think your all set! I have mags I use constantly and mags I keep loaded for a just in case. My '14 supply is about what you have.

·
Registered
558 Posts
I'm sure that this has probably been covered, but I did a search and went back several pages and didn't see any threads specifically for this. So how many mags to you have total? What's your load out? Do you refurb your mags or just junk them?

I have about 120 AR15 mags. Mostly USGI metal mags, maybe a dozen steel English mags, and the rest Pmags (20 or so). My load out is six 30 round Pmags on my my Molle carrier and on my AR's I keep two 20 rounders (Boonie Packer Redimag installed). In my ruck I keep two bandoleers of 5.56 in strippers. I do refurb my mags with new followers and springs. I also have a Spike's Tactical .22LR conversion in my ruck with two mags.

For my M1A I have about 60 mags. Twenty five are T57's, the rest are USGI or CMI's. I have 4 of the CMI 25 rounders. My load out for the M1A is six mags on my Molle carrier and two 20 rounders on the rifle, one in the mag well and one in a butt mag pouch. I keep two bandoleers of stipper clipped 7.62X51 in my ruck. I also refurb my M14 mags with springs, followers and base plates.

For my side arm, a Glock 22, I carry two mags on my Molle carrier and two in my ruck. I have two of the Viking 32 round mags in my ruck also.
Yeah, Id say your all set. Hope your mechanized as well! Jeepers!! GI8

I have about 25 AR mags and about 30 M14 mags... Maybe I need more...? DI5 Nah... Ammo is what you never have enough of....GI7

·
Registered
2,021 Posts
I don't know how many is too many but I only have 5 USGI and 5 CMI and that's not enough. I'm kinda thinkin 20 to 25 is what I am going to settle on. I definately use rebuild kits to keep my mags working in top notch form.

·
Registered
3,997 Posts
Wow I have a little more than some posted but a whole lot less M14 than you, how ever I do have more AR15 mags than you in addition to my personal mags I have 3 case of Pmags in my Basement. I bought many cases below Whole Sale before the "Election Scare" I made enough to pay for the 3 cases and a few $ on top

·
Registered
3,649 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hmmm, yeah, in retrospect I guess I am a bit mentally scarred by the last AWB. In my defense I will say that I use some of the mags for work........... I know lame excuse. When the Pmags came out I was busily buying more USGI mags and have maybe 30 that are NIW. I also bought 25 used mags from a guy at work that I refurbished. It got so bad that when one of my coworkers was going to Pmags he offered me 100 M16 mags for nearly free and I turned him down and directed him to a more needy coworker. Sigh, it's a sickness I guess.

Hi, my name is mercman, I'm a magazine hoarder.....................

·
Registered
1,906 Posts
i dont have anywhere near what some of oyu have, but with a modest amount of care i have enough magazines for each firearm to outlast me( what more do i need). the only exception i have is a few hundred en blocs for the M1.

·
Registered
3,997 Posts
En Blocs Duh I forgot about , i have more of those then Mags LOL

·
Registered
2,331 Posts
Well, I'm a mag hoarder from way back when. Here is what 32 20rd mags look like in a SAW can. Just don't ask how many SAW cans I have.

AR mags? Glock mags? Lets not go there.....

·
Registered
349 Posts
I thought I was the only one!

Coincidently I've been trying to bring everything together and get a good count. After 35 years with a FFL and unable to resist deals, along with a lot of swapping:

M14/M1A, for two rifles: 34 USGI

M9/92FS: for one pistol: 42

M16/AR15: for multiple: 72 of 30 rd, 48 of 20 rd

and I keep finding more that were stashed away in the past and that I had "temporarily misplaced".

Anybody got a Want for some Ruger MK II mags? I've found at least a couple of dozen that would probably go cheap since I no longer have any of the pistols.

·
Registered
4,006 Posts
Mercman, I think you are fairly well set on your amount of mags. I like to think that if your loadout is 8 mags, and you have double that amount, you are GTG. If you are feeding more than one M1A, you double that amount. As for refurb parts, I've never seen a floorplate or a follower wear out, but spare springs are a different story. My personal loadout is a couple less mags, but more loose ammo. dozier

·
Administrator
18,142 Posts
Research, still the only game in town......

For my M1A's I have a total of seven and four are still NIW.
For my .45 I have three.

·
Registered
3,649 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Enblocs..........When I buy HXP from the CMP I always buy enbloc clipped ammo and I have several cases of that. I also kinda hogged out on the last AP offering and from the few cans that I opened all those clips look GTG. Another one of those no/mag-no/clip conundrums that a semiauto is pretty much useless without those items.

Floorplates- I also haven't run across very many B.O. floorplates but have a tendency to screw them up when pulling the mags down for cleaning so hence the changeouts. My ineptness usually and not wear and tear.

As for M14 type rifles, I only have two right now but have two more on the way from 7.62 so I guess more mags are in my future!?!!!??!

M14sRock, that's pretty impressive!! I also usually buy those style of ammo cans 20 at a time and was keeping my mags, strippers and enblocs in them. Now I went to the pull out metal drawers for my extra mags and trying to save those ammo cans for ................Ammo, which I then tend to bury somewhere. Trouble is I then can't find that ammo and end up buying more!

eagle0199, yeah Glock mags is where I'm weak. I only have maybe 10-12 of those and sadly about half belong to my employer. I need to fix that!

·
Rest in peace
1,399 Posts
Mags for the AR? 0

Mags for the M14/M1A1......75+

Mags for the M1/M2 Carbine.........50+ 15 round. 25+ 30 round.

Mags for Mini-14.....25+ factory 20 round. 15+ factory 30 round.

Mags for AK.......50+ 30 round. 20+ 20 round.

En Blocs for Garand.....200+

Strippers for M14.......500+ Guides 100+

Strippers for M1/M2 Carbine.....200+

Strippers for 1903......100+

Strippers for 7.62x39.......500+

Strippers for Swede M96......100+

This doesn't include what I keep for trading. I also keep 20+ M14 rebuild kits on hand.

My semi-auto pistols all have a minimum of 6 spare mags.

I even have spares for my Enfields.DI5

·
Banned
38 Posts
Enblocs = 400+

M14 = 20

AR-15 = 20

M1 Carbine = 50+

G17 = 4

AK = 20

3k rounds+ each caliber. I stashed the stuff solely because I wanted to be able to shoot my rifles for the mere pleasure of it without future burden. It's cool to be able to grab your rifle, ammo, and head to the range just for the hell of it. I'll be able to do that for 30 years with what I got on hand. Freakin' Bravo.

Hold 'em hard!!!!!!DI5

·
Registered
60 Posts

I think you already know the answer to your question, you just want to brag how many mags you have on hand.

·
Registered
3,649 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I think you already know the answer to your question, you just want to brag how many mags you have on hand.
Hey, I'm a piker compared to some guys that I know. I don't even have a dedicated gun room ICONCRY

·
Registered
3,382 Posts
At 65, I can't hump that much out into the bush, . . . so my few mags will just have to do (I can carry em all at one time, . . . barely).

Besides, . . . knowing how things may go, . . . I figure when they do get through and find my body, . . . I won't have been fortunate enough to have used up all my ammo.

But I'm hoping that I'll at least get to try and get some value back on my investment in my M6 bayonet. USNA

May God bless,
Dwight

1 - 20 of 22 Posts