M14 Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Banned
354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After discovering some movement in my loaded M1A synthetic stock I decided to try my first bedding job so I stripped the paint off the stock and bought a $16 Brownells Acraglass bedding kit . I had heard horror stories about receivers permanently married to stocks and the like so when it was curing I was sweating blood until the next morning when I tried to get it apart. It came apart just great! The stock matches the receiver so perfectly that is crunches a little when I push it into place. Its the tightest fit I have ever seen. ANYWAY: How long can I expect a glass bedding job to last ....please share your experiences with me............

·
Banned
10,629 Posts
I personnally have no experience with a bedded stock, however, I have heard quite a bit about them. Some say that it will last for quite a few years providing you only take it out of the stock once a year for full cleaning purposes, while others say the same but take it out each time they go to the range. My quess would be somewhere in the middle, but, I'm sure someone with some first hand experience will pipe in here and educate us both. :D

·
Registered
3,923 Posts
Aloha Twiggy:

Good job! Hey if it comes apart, you're half way there! :lol:

How long it will last will vary. Depends on how well you bedded the stock, how you will shoot the rifle (lots or rarely), etc. You also chose Acraglass which is good but not as strong as the Acra Steel Bed...

I would guess years?

Can you take some pics of how it came out? I can shoot some pics of mine and we can compare if you like... maybe we both can learn about bedding... some of the other guys are really saavy, so I hope they jump in as well.

Aloha,

Tom O.

·
Banned
611 Posts
Did you use steel bed? If so it will last a long time. I have no worries at all about taking it apart every time I clean it wich is every weekend after a hunt. I bedded it about 4 years ago and only once skimmed it but that was only to account for lost forend pressure after I replaced the barrel with a heavy one. Steel bed is the best!

·
Banned
2,159 Posts
Howdy all:

Steel bedding will last alot longer for sure.
Some match shooters I know will either re-bed it every year or only remove the receiver when replacing a broken part and not re-bedding for years.Some may only re-bed the stock when accuracy falls off.

So far,I have not had to re-bed a stock that I bedded with steel bedding.
It's strong stuff for sure.

Because of the nature of "glass" bedding it won't last quite as long (about a 3rd I hear).If you add fiberglass floc to glassbed it will enhance the strength and longevity of the glass bedding.

warbird

·
Banned
354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
To answer the steel or glass question. I chose glass because thats what the clerk at the store handed me. If it does not last as long as steel at least I got a bunch of practice. I know what to look for Before I start and what to expect after I finish. I have orderd some of Freds synthetic stocks to screw around with and I will take your advice and get some steel bedding to try on those. First I will take the thing out to do some controled blasting. Paint is drying tonight so it will probubly be the weekend before I can check back. thanks for the resposes. Ill try to take some pics.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.