M14 Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,314 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had purchased two items from Optics Planet. In stock marked, processed card.

After 1 month- cancelled them.

Would have liked to have had the scopes. Very irritating. Still dealing with an issue where I used a Paypal balance with them to pay them, they say it wasn't charged, my statement says otherwise. Until we get that worked out I'm probably done with Optics Planet.

Benton Reloading Shop told me he'd have primers. What I did not know what that he had sold his firm and it's now got a Cleveland TN shop. What was supposed to be in stock ? 50000 Berdan primers for 7.62x51. I finished using an 8 lb bottle of IMR 4320 with 147gr Boat Tails- so I needed some projectiles(yes I am getting a mold from another company), and I took his suggestion of Alliant Reload 15, but the only email I've gotten said that there might be a substitution to RL 12. I've heard nothing since and they did turn off their phones- they announced it on a website, but return email is a one time thin. Turns out the guy who owns Benton now runs a business with name of Lohman, and he has another business selling bulk ammo online Reloaders Unlimited. He buys drums of brass and reloaded ammo- as in 50gallon drums. I told him I'd take a load of 500 reloads. Price was OK, not special before, not special now. Anyway, he charged my card and I can't even get an email from him. No RL-15, no Berdan larg

My other oddity is that I ordered stock from a company that is closing in Las Vegas. I've bought rifle kits from him. I've bought some really pricey, expensive magazines from him. I knew his landline was going but it will be 38 days and no stock and no hearing from him.

The last thing is I happened to purchase some blue prints and a shop manual. It has been 28 days on it. I get voicemail, voicemail will fill up, and then works again. I've tried from different numbers. I need it before servicing a small Industrial Perkins' injector pump(SIMMS Inline). Need the prints to check specs on the rotary vane compartment- you can sleeve it if desperate.

I'm trying to be as understanding as possible, I'm just curious what you think is a reasonable time for waiting. My fear is that I believe with Credit Card, depending on purchase I have either 45 or 60 days to do something.

Thank you

·
Administrator
17,190 Posts
As long as time requires.

·
Registered
1,784 Posts
I gotta admit I'm getting really annoyed with sellers, lack of communication, and excessive delivery delay times. I know they aren't that busy, but I also know a lot of the stuff is drop shipped from other wholesalers, so I can understand a delay there.
But still......communication as a whole is just horrible and unacceptable IMHO.

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
Nearly everything I've ordered in the past 3-4 months has had all sorts of screwy delivery times. Items in stock taking up to a month to ship.

Heck, I've been ordering from a restaurant supply place(who hasn't been shipping to restaurants due to them being closed) and it's still taking 3 weeks to get out the door.

If it wasn't for the fact I've already paid for Amazon Prime next year(got a half off vet deal) I'd be cancelling it this September.

Ordered some 9mm on 5/1 and had it in my hands 5/5, but ordered some 9mm and .22 on 4/28 and 4/29 from the same company and they're both still awaiting tracking numbers. Go figure.

I've received a few items that I even forgot I ordered because they took so long. Guess I've been spoiled by Amazon Prime(when it was working as it should).

·
Registered
79 IHC Scout II, 74 VW Bug class 11 look a like
6,613 Posts
I am going through the same thing with SWFA on a scope, they say its in stock on their web sight so I ordered it. 2 weeks later it still shows as "Processing",
I called them and they say it was supposed to be drop ship from some body else and they cant get it out so they had them ship to them and they [SWFA] will ship to me. I will give them 1 more week and if its not here I will cancel my order!

Casey

·
Registered
2,576 Posts
I've got a cart of stuff that I was going to purchase from optics planet. Might decide to order elsewhere now if it's taking them a month to ship an "in stock" item.

·
Registered
4,795 Posts
I ordered a die on May 2nd. Lucky to find a factory crimp .357 SIG die as Lee no longer lists them on their website??

Anyway. It sat in the post office in FL for 7 days before being shipped to the next/bigger post office. It has been "in transit to the next destination" for the last 4 days. FL ain't that far from VA.

·
Registered
1,314 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I ordered a die on May 2nd. Lucky to find a factory crimp .357 SIG die as Lee no longer lists them on their website??

Anyway. It sat in the post office in FL for 7 days before being shipped to the next/bigger post office. It has been "in transit to the next destination" for the last 4 days. FL ain't that far from VA.
Reloaders Unlimited is around 45 minute drive from me. Edit: I did do a driveby at both locations. A lot of cars, but it was closed from what I could see. I guess just inventory mgmt and fulfillment.

The one I really trusted was a company that produced some extremely accurate, extremely replicable ammo that was hand loaded- in fact if you called them they would hand load it for you by spec- a box of 20 could cost $25-$50. They offered general reloads in 500, 400rd tins and 100rd tins at a price that was ok. I was going to call and cancel, but I did not respond in 60 days per by the CC company's standards. Per CC it has been 65 days. I was looking through an old hard drive's favorites and where I had jotted down contact info in txt files. Found a number one of the handloaders used. So at 7am I called the alternate number I had for them, and got the shipping manager. I guess caller ID- he answered by name. "I'm working on the order."- that was 7am I'd never bought their hand loads, their ability to supply Berdan primers helped me immensely. Oddly 6 minutes ago he generated a tracking number. Generated, not in UPS's hands. But that is better than Reloaders Unlimited/Lohman/Benton...

·
Registered
7,064 Posts
Life is wonky until all states open up fully. There is too much interdependency within Interstate commerce.
Life might normal in your state. But shipping goes through many states that aren’t normal. If I recall correctly, optics planet is based in Illinois. An abnormal state I just recently escaped from, thankfully so.

Pritzker can kiss-my a** now. I got out before he puts in an exit tax to slow the exodus.

·
Registered
1,314 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Life is wonky until all states open up fully. There is too much interdependency within Interstate commerce.
Life might normal in your state. But shipping goes through many states that aren’t normal. If I recall correctly, optics planet is based in Illinois. An abnormal state I just recently escaped from, thankfully so.

Pritzker can kiss-my a** now. I got out before he puts in an exit tax to slow the exodus.
It's mainly the fact that they charged me for a part marked in stock and they emailed they said: give us 8 days to ship. Keep in mind, that money immediately came from my Paypal balance. 8 days turned to 8 turned to 45. At 45 I went online and cancelled.

I've never had the funds put back in my Paypal balance.

·
Registered
85 Posts
I had a rifle sit at New Frontier Armory for almost 6 weeks before they would send it to my FFL. They wouldn’t answer the phone. Most emails got ignored, and the ones that didn’t were full of empty promises or excuses.

Also had sarco take over 2 months to ship a small order that they charged me for on day 1. Never even an explanation.

Midway USA sent me some tools that didn’t fit at all. My first email received a canned response that didn’t answer anything and all subsequent emails went unanswered.

SWFA shipped part of an order but not the rest, which took weeks to come with poor communication.

The big picture seems to be that some of the big companies seem to be taking advantage of the situation and providing extremely poor service and a lack of communication. I’m not just a temporary panic buyer and will remember these transactions next time I spend money.

I have had other purchases that shipped slow but the sellers contacted me, explained the situation, and did what they could to meet their commitment. Those are the businesses that I will buy from again.

·
Registered
516 Posts
Taking someones money and not giving them what they paid for is theft. Imagine the millions of dollars they have to play with while you sit patiently waiting. It is none of their business to decide who gets what first. How do they pretend to know what importance my items are for me?

I cancelled my Amazon Prime membership and only use it for comparison shopping now. About a month ago I ordered some lawn tractor parts and after three weeks I cancelled my last remaining order.

Optics Planet I had not used for at least year or so, I waited about 3 weeks and cancelled.

I have gotten very good results ordering firearms "stuff" directly from the manufacturer, and usually at the same or even lower cost than a retail place, and they ship it quickly.
I ordered some busted stuff from Lee and they sent me one of everything free, and only charged me for the extras.

Now I use Ebay and make sure to look at where the seller is in proximity to me. I re-ordered all my lawn tractor stuff yesterday for a lower total cost than amazon, and it will all be shipped today. Because it is within a few states from me, I should have it all by the end of the week.
I REALLY do need to cut the weeds sprinkled with grass, it's getting desperate out there...

·
Registered
3,283 Posts
It really depends.

I try to get an idea of when I should get it at the beginning. If I don't get it, or hear of it shipping, I at least know when to ask about it. Sometimes really good people just get hit with more than they thought and take longer than expected to wade through it. Sometimes people are honest, but need a little help steering themselves your direction. Sometimes people will see what you'll let them get away with. And a few, well, sucks most to be them. But still sucks to deal with them.

If they're flat out dodging you, and say you simply don't get any response for a week, or maybe two, depending on the nature of what they do, and it's past that expected reasonable time frame, I'd say give your bank a call and file some kind of notification that goods or services paid for have not yet been provided. For whatever reason, when a bank calls, some people seem to pay more attention.

I know I can be a little OCD and perhaps be so proactive it's a pain in the arse, and I will apologize for that openly, but I'll still do it. I'd say make the best judgment you can, and go with it. You can still be nice, and if there's a misunderstanding, you can still do business, maybe even with clearer water next swim.

·
Registered
471 Posts
Mine's with ups running packages through known civil unrest areas like morons. My Parallax Tactical hand guard got stuck in IL for a week and now they managed to get it in to California. First to Sacramento then to Oakland only to let me know civil unrest has "delayed" delivery. It was supposed to be delivered yesterday only to changed the date to today between the hours I'm guessing start time of 09:00 to 21:00 as the page states. Now the hand guard was supposed to have been delivered June 5th.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts