M14 Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought afew Asian military mags, they look great in wrappers. They have the welded mag lock and a good finish. I even compared this to a new in wrapper mag from Coles and they looked better, but I really don't know anything about the quality and functioning. Anyone know anything about Asian mags?

My question is how can you test mags?

·
Registered
434 Posts
First see if they lock up in the rifle(s) with the bolt closed and the mag empty. Then pull the bolt back and make sure it locks back. If not, you've found a problem already. Then, you take it to the range and blaze away. I'd start with a couple rounds first to make sure it locks back the bolt when firing, then load it up to the full 20rds and empty it a few times downrange. Now what could be more fun? 8)

·
Registered
123 Posts
If it were me, I would remove the floor plates and inspect the inside of the mag for crud, sand, monkey boogers, etc and clean as needed. i would then check the spring and ensure that it was installed properly.
After reassembly, I would lock the mag into the rifle and rap the bottom/back of the mag with the palm of my hand and see if I can get it to unlock.
If it passed this test, I would pull the op rod to the rear and see if the mag will actuate the bolt hold.

If the mags are good so far, it is time to lock, load, and rock n roll.

·
Registered
2,694 Posts
Maddogkiller, welcome to the forum

Maddogkiller, welcome to the forum - I must have missed it when you checked in - your contributions are appreciated. Make yourself at home - you will enjoy it here.

·
Registered
4,041 Posts
I do all the steps above, but instead of wasting ammo just checking mags, I load 5 rounds then fire. In my experience with the asian magsif you are going to have troubles with the mags it will be the last 5 rounds in the mags, the first 15 work flawless. I have 20 of the mags, 10 do not work well (at all) after the 15th leaves the mag. I have even replaced the springs and follower's, and still have the same problem

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
Maddogkiller writes.
If it were me, I would remove the floor plates and inspect the inside of the mag for crud, sand, monkey boogers, etc and clean as needed. i would then check the spring and ensure that it was installed properly.
"MONKEY BOOGERS!!!" :)

Regards

Ox

·
Registered
393 Posts
Sometimes springs are weak or installed backward and sometimes followers need to be replaced.

I alway function check my mags so I know that they have 'passed inspection' and work well.

Often, mags (especially the parkerized ones - parked parts need a little 'polishing') have a short break-in period. Usually 5 or 6 full loads.

Don't give up too early. :D

It can be time consuming.

One the upside, though, you are becoming competent. On your way to "The consumate rifleman"! 8)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.