M14 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
8,951 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondering what people think if the Remi 700 5r in accuracy and dependability. I'm looking at the .308 but haven't decided on a 20 or 24 inch barrel.

I've seen good reviews and a few bad reviews with the bad being on the 300 win mag being a bad shooter, and having bolt cycling issues.
Again I'm looking at the .308

Thanks for all feedback.

·
Registered
4,969 Posts
All of the heavy barrel 700s are good shooters and the 5Rs are typically the best. The shorter barreled ones are tailored for law enforcement who want something a bit more compact, for a target rifle I would go with the longest barreled model possible. You can always cut & crown it later on.

·
Registered
3,118 Posts
I have plenty of students show up at my school with both the 20" and 24" Rem700 Mil Spec 5R's. I haven't seen one yet that wasn't a shooter. .75MOA is pretty standard, although I see plenty that shoot .5MOA or better, and a few that are solid .25MOA guns.

In my Basic course I run the students to 1,000yds. No worries there, either.

I prefer the 24" barrel. Like the man said above, you can cut the barrel shorter (I like a 22" tube on a bolt action .308) but you can't weld more barrel on.

·
Registered
866 Posts
Mine is 5/8" to 3/4" 5rnd group shooter on avg - good days. Best group was 3/8" on a very rare, exceptional day. Mine is the tan stock with 24" black, fluted, threaded barrel with factory tact bolt knob. Your trigger will need to be swapped for an upgrade. I went for the Timney 510 and it's fine.

·
Registered
8,951 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I like this setup.nice.

Mine is 5/8" to 3/4" 5rnd group shooter on avg - good days. Best group was 3/8" on a very rare, exceptional day. Mine is the tan stock with 24" black, fluted, threaded barrel with factory tact bolt knob. Your trigger will need to be swapped for an upgrade. I went for the Timney 510 and it's fine.

·
Registered
8,951 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
This good feedback is encouraging me to bring one into the fold.
One question I had on the mils spec is some call that out and others don't. I was under the impression that all the 5r's are mils spec but maybe that is not the case?

Are the mil spec just in 24 and not Stainless ?

I have plenty of students show up at my school with both the 20" and 24" Rem700 Mil Spec 5R's. I haven't seen one yet that wasn't a shooter. .75MOA is pretty standard, although I see plenty that shoot .5MOA or better, and a few that are solid .25MOA guns.

In my Basic course I run the students to 1,000yds. No worries there, either.

I prefer the 24" barrel. Like the man said above, you can cut the barrel shorter (I like a 22" tube on a bolt action .308) but you can't weld more barrel on.

·
Registered
4,969 Posts
The 5R commercial model isn't "mil spec" anything. It's their PSS with a stainless 5R rifled barrel, sometimes fluted, and usually a stainless action/trigger as well as sometimes a different colored HS precision stock (but still same stock as PSS). You might also get a 40X trigger instead of the XMARK PRO.

·
Registered
8,951 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I need to do more homework on this. Many seem to advertise mil spec barrel and maybe it's just a marketing term for 5r rifling or maybe there is a limited version the customs shop has going. More homework for sure but isn't that the best part of deciding on the next purchase.

The 5R commercial model isn't "mil spec" anything. It's their PSS with a stainless 5R rifled barrel, sometimes fluted, and usually a stainless action/trigger as well as sometimes a different colored HS precision stock (but still same stock as PSS). You might also get a 40X trigger instead of the XMARK PRO.

·
Registered
240 Posts
I need to do more homework on this. Many seem to advertise mil spec barrel and maybe it's just a marketing term for 5r rifling or maybe there is a limited version the customs shop has going. More homework for sure but isn't that the best part of deciding on the next purchase.
I think that was just marketing. Either way the rifles shoot great and are a sure buy.

·
Registered
4,969 Posts
If you want mil-spec you can get a M24 commemorative off Gunbroker for 1700 or so, just know that it's a long action 308 which is a bit funky. I was going to get one for myself but then I found a killer deal on a POF 308 so I had to get that instead :)

·
Registered
3,118 Posts
Don't worry about the "mil spec" designation. I'm not sure they use it anymore and, if they do, it's just a marketing ploy.

Originally, the first runs of Rem700's with the 5R barrels used barrels that were rejected and/or left over from the US Army contract, apparently for reasons that didn't hurt the barrels being used in other rifles. Hence the "mil spec" moniker.

Nowadays, they make barrels specifically for the 5R rifles so they may or may not use the "mil spec" designation.

Besides, as a veteran myself, to me "mil spec" usually means "lowest bidder" and isn't always desirable. I wouldn't place a lot of emphasis on it.

Whatever tag they hang on it, the Rem700's with the factory 5R barrels tend to shoot very well.

A standard 24"-26" Rem700 .308 barrel has a 1:12" twist with 6 lands and grooves of button-rifled rifling. The edges of the lands are at 90 degrees and sharp. The 5R barrels are 1:11.25" for the 24" versions while most of the 20" versions tend to be 1:10", although I have seen some 20" non-fluted versions at 1:11.25". The Army contract barrels are 1:11.25", by the way. Remington has also been doing faster twists in their shorter, threaded barrels due to folks running subsonic, heavy bullets.

The main difference in the 5R rifling is that it has 5 lands and grooves of button-rifled rifling, but the profile of the rifling is more of a trapezoid than a square. This means that the corners aren't 90 degrees and aren't sharp. This is supposed to mean less deformation and tearing of the bullet jacket. In my experience, the factory Remington 5R barrels don't foul up as quickly as their 6-groove rifling and clean up easier/quicker.

In custom barrels, lots of manufacturers are offering 5R rifling nowadays. I've owned some and probably will again, but I haven't noticed any difference between 5R rifling and "standard" rifling in .308 custom barrels, performance-wise. My next barrel will be a Schneider polygonal-rifled, just because I've never owned a Schneider or one with polygonal rifling. Whenever it come time to replace a barrel, I buy something different that I haven't had before. Let's me give a better opinion on different barrels, or so I hope.

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
I have the 20 inch version of the 5R in .308. Great rifle and shoots sub MOA when I do what I should, and that's with the recalled trigger. With that said, I'm in the process of selling mine and doing something else.

BTW, the only thing mil-spec on the rifle is it's 11.25 inch per revolution rifling which I feel can be improved upon. I great rifle regardless and one worth buying IMHO.

·
Registered
8,951 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I have the Ruger Precision rifle in 20" which has the R5 and is a .5 moa shooter so I think I probably don't have anything to gain with going with the 700 in the 20".

I have the 20 inch version of the 5R in .308. Great rifle and shoots sub MOA when I do what I should, and that's with the recalled trigger. With that said, I'm in the process of selling mine and doing something else.

BTW, the only thing mil-spec on the rifle is it's 11.25 inch per revolution rifling which I feel can be improved upon. I great rifle regardless and one worth buying IMHO.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.