M14 Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
870 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
We have balances at work that will weigh +/-0.0001 or 0.00001 grams. I take a really clean coin and use that for a reference. We have standards but I won't steal/borrow them.

Do you check your scales? I have great reservations with CHEAP digital scales.

I use an Ohaus triple beam. +/- 0.1 grain

·
Registered
692 Posts
Check digital scale every time I reload. Either do full calibration with 2 50 gram weights,@ zero, 50 & 100 points or drop a weighed coin I keep by the scale. Coin weighs 38.5 grAINS (check that periodically after I calibrate). This coin is my proxy calibration if I want a quicky. Zero pan then drop coin in, if 38.5 then GTG. That coin weight is fairly close to many of my recipes in range of 35 to 42 grains. Outside that range I will do full calibration.

·
Registered
870 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Check digital scale every time I reload. Either do full calibration with 2 50 gram weights,@ zero, 50 & 100 points or drop a weighed coin I keep by the scale. Coin weighs 38.5 grams (check that periodically after I calibrate). This coin is my proxy calibration if I want a quicky. Zero pan then drop coin in, if 38.5 then GTG. That coin weight is fairly close to many of my recipes in range of 35 to 42 grains. Outside that range I will do full calibration.
Nice, a NEW nickle is 4.950 grams if they have changed them?

Other things to know. If you have prescison volumetrics, A 1.000 ML OF PURE WATER is one gram 1.0000 at 25 oC

·
Registered
692 Posts

Other things to know. If you have prescison volumetrics, A 1.000 ML OF PURE WATER is one gram 1.0000 at 25 oC
You got me, grains. At least I said it was in range of my loads GRAINS. Jeez, used to be an engineer.

·
Registered
8,520 Posts

Every knows a nickel weighs 5g.

·
Registered
1,283 Posts
The nominal mass of a nickel is 5.000 grams. http://www.usmint.gov/about_the_mint/index.cfm?action=Coin_specifications They don't, however, say what the tolerance is, so that's not too meaningful.

However, since I have nothing better to do, I went out and weighed 15 nickels on my trusty 505. With years ranging from 1983 to 2013, all coins in pretty decent shape, I got

Mean 76.6 grains
SD 0.7 grains
Min 75.4 grains
Max 78.4 grains
Range 3.0 grains

So it looks like just taking any old nickel and using it as a check weight is not such a good idea unless, like the OP, you are able to weigh it on a known-good balance.

I love being retired.

Tim

·
Registered
311 Posts
I use by set of check weights. I verify my beam scale and my charge master each time I'm charging. Also during the process I'll run them againist each just other to make sure the Chargemaster is not freaking out.

·
Super Moderator
11,118 Posts
I also use check weights since I can usually set the exact charge I want with check weights (45.0grains). My RCBS chargemaster is usually dead nuts on.

I really use them a lot when checking charge weight for pistol loads. The 0.5 grain, 1 grain and 5 grain weights are great for ensuring safe pistol loads, especially if you're using Titegroup!

Just for grins, I usually weigh my bullets too and they are all within +/- 0.1 grain of advertised weight. 168 SMK's are almost always exactly 168.0g.

Tony.

·
Registered
3,568 Posts
Also use check weights.

·
Registered
79 IHC Scout II, 74 VW Bug class 11 look a like
6,707 Posts
All the ammo I have loaded lately use between 215-240gns of powder so if I am off 1 grain or so its not a big deal.

Casey

1 - 15 of 15 Posts