M14 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have seen a couple of "brass catchers" in catalogs, but I can't find any locally, to touch and feel, for quality assessment.

I'm looking for ideas.

·
Registered
4,006 Posts
I do it the old fashioned way. Bend over and pick it up. I don't do run and shoot drills, so most of the brass is within a 5 foot area. Most of those brass catchers are cumbersome, and would tend to be a bit lopsided heavy after a mag or two. dozier

·
Registered
94 Posts
I use the net catcher in an ammo can. Setups in less than 1 minute, is 36" tall and catches all the brass back into the can.

·
Non-resident by request
169 Posts
pesky brass

I use a lasso if I get that pesky brass cornered. Otherwise a live trap works pretty good if you use the right bait.

Seriously why would you want to junk up your rifle with some more stuff. jmo

·
Registered
94 Posts
I use a lasso if I get that pesky brass cornered. Otherwise a live trap works pretty good if you use the right bait.

How's that junking up my rifle? That brass catcher saves this old back a lot of bending over. Especially when 2-3 of us go to the range with our pistols/rifles. By the time we're done, we've capped 300-400 rnds. All falls into the can.

·
Registered
6,577 Posts
Because good brass is like 20 cents a shot, and in 3-gun matches or the like it's all over creation and you never get it back.

I'd be interested to hear if anyone has found a functional MOBILE setup. The net/can setup sounds ideal for bench use. GITEN

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I'm not looking for something that attaches to my rifle, "junking it up", and causing imbalance.

Picking the brass up off the ground is not an option with 2 feet of snow on the ground, and all the other brass that has been left from the other idiots that use the (free use) range that is close to my house.

The net over the ammo can seems like the best idea. How many different styles and manufacturers are there?

Has anybody done a DIY, that works better than the commercial ones?

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

·
Registered
3,997 Posts

·
Registered
622 Posts
I built one out of PVC pipes and a mesh laundry bag. It is alittle bulky but breaks down easy and works fairly well. It works with my M1 rifles and ARs. I paid like 20 bucks for all the materials and have lots of left over parts.

·
Registered
346 Posts
My brother uses a brass catcher which is not attached to his rifle. The problem I see with this type of device is the trial and error of setting it up just right and then not being able to move about if you still want to catch your brass.

I, on the other hand, would never use a brass catcher of any sort as they're more a pain in the arse than they are worth.

I'll pick my brass up off the ground as best I can after the fact if I feel like it.

Now a little story about hot flying brass out of my M1A about 1998 at the shooting range.

I was shooting a session of rapid fire in the standing position when a couple of men and women came walking down the fireing line of the public range I was at. One of the women was leading the three others in their stroll to get to their available shooting lane which was to the left of me. So she and the others were coming from the right of me. I was touching one off about every 2 or so second intervuls so hot brass was flying at about a 45 degree angle to the back and right of my position on the fireing line. The woman in the front of the group of the others was wearing a low cut top without a bra and for lack of better words was well endowed.

Well before I knew it she was dancing the jig as one of my hot brass landed right down the middle of her clevage and was burning the bejeses out of her tattas. Man -O- man the dance she did trying to get that hot brass off of her teats was a sight to behold.

I felt pretty bad and stopped shooting but there was nothing I could do but to let her resolove the burning discomfort herself.

During the cease fire to check targets she showed the blister to her boyfriend and to me on her you know whats without any blame toward me for what had happened.

So I loaded up a fresh 20 round mag and before the next fireing session begun I offered her to shoot my M1A.

What else could I do?

She took me up on the offer and had a ball for 40 rounds of ammo.

The joy expressed on her face, shooting my rifle, was worth a million bucks especially for the blister she had on her you know whats.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
....one of my hot brass landed right down the middle of her clevage and was burning the bejeses out of her tattas.....
That sounds like a great brass catcher. Probably too expensive though.......

·
Registered
1,869 Posts
Go to the laundry section at Walmart and get a Pop & Fold Nylon Mesh Laundry basket that has a flexible wire frame that pops open for use, and folds flat for storage like this ...

Stand it up on end just forward of your ejection port, weigh it down with a spare magazine, and fire.

If you have it located properly every one of your spent brass casings will be caught in it.

When you are done, the basket folds up into a small package and can be kept in your range bag.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
That's a great idea!

Does the brass melt the mesh?

·
Registered
1,869 Posts
That's a great idea!

Does the brass melt the mesh?
Nope.

I have been using one for about a year and have had no problems with it. GI2

·
Registered
4,006 Posts
I'm not looking for something that attaches to my rifle, "junking it up", and causing imbalance.

Picking the brass up off the ground is not an option with 2 feet of snow on the ground, and all the other brass that has been left from the other idiots that use the (free use) range that is close to my house.

The net over the ammo can seems like the best idea. How many different styles and manufacturers are there?

Has anybody done a DIY, that works better than the commercial ones?
Sorry copterdoc, when you mentioned a brasscatcher, I pictured one of those clamp on items on the rifle. Lots of good ideas on this post to make something on the cheap. I like that little laundry bag idea from Wal mart. As I'm into load testing from the bench, it could be set up right on the bench. dozier

1 - 20 of 22 Posts