M14 Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was and my local gun store yesterday and they had a NM M1a in a laminated stock for a decent price. I did see a TRW bolt that looked to have very few rounds on it. I almost walked out with the rifle but I had some pause as I could not find any indication that is was a NM barrel. I was not able to see any NM stamped on the barrel or anywhere. what are some identify marks of a NM M1a? The rifle comes with 6+ mags and a scope mount, with all the goodies and that it is being sold as a NM the deal seemed to good to be true.

Serial in 042XXX, I plan on calling Springfield to see how it was configured from the factory. In short, I don't want to get burned, any help you guys can offer in how to properly ID a NM is much appreciated.

Thanks,

·
MGySgt USMC (ret)
7,066 Posts
Though there ARE exceptions, most commercially made NM barrels are not mared NM. The only G.I. ones that definitely were to my knowledge are the ones of the same countour as the G.I. barrel, IOW, they are not medium or full heavy barrels.

Best point to start is contact Sainc. tomorrow as you mentioned. Though just because it did not leave SAinc. as a NM does not mean it was not upgraded later. OH, did you ask the gun shop folks how they determined it was a NM rifle?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Though there ARE exceptions, most commercially made NM barrels are not mared NM. The only G.I. ones that definitely were to my knowledge are the ones of the same countour as the G.I. barrel, IOW, they are not medium or full heavy barrels.

Best point to start is contact Sainc. tomorrow as you mentioned. Though just because it did not leave SAinc. as a NM does not mean it was not upgraded later. OH, did you ask the gun shop folks how they determined it was a NM rifle?
I did not ask that how they determined it was a NM, that is a very good question! If it checks out with Springfield I will be making a trip back over there tomorrow to give it a good look over and possibly bring it home with me. The shop also has an indoor range attached to it so I do not think it would be out of reason to ask to fire it a few times before buying it.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'd look for bedding around the footprint of the receiver.
I did not see any bedding compound around the receiver. Is it possible that it was done very neatly and none is showing from the outside?

I would not want to breakdown the rifle myself as I am still VERY new to the platform, but I would like to see the trigger group and receiver removed for inspection. If they agree to that what are some things I should look for with the receiver removed, outside of bedding compound? While broken down, what are some general M1a points to look for in a used rifle?

·
Registered
581 Posts
When you have owned a few NM rifles, and held quite a few more in your hands and it becomes easier to quickly realize what you are buying. I know the first M14 type that I bought was really a mystery to me for a long time. You have two choices, jump in with both feet and a full wallet, or sit back and study this site and what ever else you can to be better informed. If the deal doesn't look too bad, I would say jump in, the water is fine! Sometimes a nice M1A / M14 will sit in a gun shop for a while, other times they sell real quick. GI3

John

·
Registered
10 Posts
You did not mention if the the rifles sigts were national match . It has been my experience mostly with m1 rifles that if it has match sights it is national match.
Nothing could be further from the truth. Look the rifle over very carefully before committing to buy or paying any kind of premium.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thank you all for all the information and date range on the rifle. Last two questions before I contact Springfield. GI2

NM, do they come with chrome lined barrels?

And what, if any, is the difference in the NM gas system from a standard?

From my brief research it seems this rifle, based on it's serial number, falls in the "golden age" of M1a. Which means it also does not qualify for the springfield warranty (i can live with that).

If yall want, after I get more info from Springfield I can post it. If not, maybe my next post will be a "look what I got".

·
MGySgt USMC (ret)
7,066 Posts
Thank you all for all the information and date range on the rifle. Last two questions before I contact Springfield. GI2

NM, do they come with chrome lined barrels?

And what, if any, is the difference in the NM gas system from a standard?

From my brief research it seems this rifle, based on it's serial number, falls in the "golden age" of M1a. Which means it also does not qualify for the springfield warranty (i can live with that).

If yall want, after I get more info from Springfield I can post it. If not, maybe my next post will be a "look what I got".
I don't know for absolute certainty if SAinc. ever made a NM rifle with a chrome line barrel, but I highly doubt it. The essence of a NM rifle is a NM barrel. Second point is NM sights. Third point is glass bedding. Fourth point is a NM trigger job. Fifth point is unitizing the gas cylinder.

SAinc. did make some rifles they called "NM" over the years that were not glass bedded, though.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
FYI : SN# 042XXX is manufactured around late '87 (I have one in the same SN range)

Lexi Strode at SA <[email protected]> can give you the exact manufacturing date and how it left the factory.
You are correct, Aug 1987 to be exact.

I don't know for absolute certainty if SAinc. ever made a NM rifle with a chrome line barrel, but I highly doubt it. The essence of a NM rifle is a NM barrel. Second point is NM sights. Third point is glass bedding. Fourth point is a NM trigger job. Fifth point is unitizing the gas cylinder.

SAinc. did make some rifles they called "NM" over the years that were not glass bedded, though.

The rifle did leave the factory as a Standard. It did have NM sights and a very clean and light 2 stage trigger.

I am going back to take a better more informed look after I get off of work today.

Thanks for all the information and help!

·
MGySgt USMC (ret)
7,066 Posts
Back in the 1980's, most NM rifles (that were not built as such by SAinc.) were either made from their bare receivers or from standard rifles, epsecially if the standard rifles had mostly G.I. parts. Sometimes one could find a used SAinc. standard rifle for close to the same price as a bare receiver.

The quality of a "NM" rifle then, as now, depended a lot on who built the rifle. If it was built by a known builder, it should have added value. So that would be a good question to ask, I.E. "do they know who built the rifle?" I doubt if they know the number of rounds fired through the barrel, though that would be excellent information as well. I also doubt most gun stores have a Throat Erosion Gage for an M14, though the TE reading would also be good to know as well as the Muzzle Wear reading. However, most gun shops will also not have a MW gage. Since they have a range next door, I would strongly suggest you function/test fire it for accuracy - even if you are not a NM shooter. Buy a box of Federal's Gold Medal Match ammo to see how good it can shoot. Oh, and PLEASE don't use cheap or crappy surplus ammo to test accuracy as that will tell you nothing OR the rifle may not even function correctly if the ammo is poor.

·
Registered
71 Posts
I would definitely test shoot it with match ammo as Gus suggests.
If the rifle function flawlessly, shoots accurate and price is right it just may be a keeper.

Good Luck.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Back in the 1980's, most NM rifles (that were not built as such by SAinc.) were either made from their bare receivers or from standard rifles, epsecially if the standard rifles had mostly G.I. parts. Sometimes one could find a used SAinc. standard rifle for close to the same price as a bare receiver.

The quality of a "NM" rifle then, as now, depended a lot on who built the rifle. If it was built by a known builder, it should have added value. So that would be a good question to ask, I.E. "do they know who built the rifle?" I doubt if they know the number of rounds fired through the barrel, though that would be excellent information as well. I also doubt most gun stores have a Throat Erosion Gage for an M14, though the TE reading would also be good to know as well as the Muzzle Wear reading. However, most gun shops will also not have a MW gage. Since they have a range next door, I would strongly suggest you function/test fire it for accuracy - even if you are not a NM shooter. Buy a box of Federal's Gold Medal Match ammo to see how good it can shoot. Oh, and PLEASE don't use cheap or crappy surplus ammo to test accuracy as that will tell you nothing OR the rifle may not even function correctly if the ammo is poor.
Need a little clarification. I read ( not sure if here or not ), that modern .308 ammo had higher pressures and could harm a rifle designed for military ball ammo ( 7.62x51 ), ie., at this point in time, surplus. Could you please clarify this? Thanks. Dave

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.