M14 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
766 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have several M1A rifles that have 'sticky' safeties.

Over the past few months I've been watching various videos, and can't seem to find one that tells how to 'Free Up' or 'Loosen Up' a Safety that is sticky!

What contact points to I need to clean up in order to free it up?

·
Registered
349 Posts
I have seen safeties with broken hooks, I don't know how they broke but they did. I would be very leery of taking off too much iron off of a safety. Polishing for smoothness wherever steel rubs against steel yes. Remove material from a safety; No.

Jarhead

·
Eye Master
3,868 Posts
Alternative is to polish the sharp tip on the lug that sticks out the left side of the hammer.

I have two policies, one that applies to me, and one that applies to you: For you - always polish on the least expensive part first, in case you bollocks it up. For me - when someone has this issue with one of my hammers, I tell them to polish the hammer, because I do not believe in ever telling a customer to modify someone else's part.

At the end of the day, either will do it.

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
Mine was tough, but loosened up after a while. I dont know why, maybe I used it alot? Dont feel like I do, lol. Or maybe the parking were off? I'd say polishing is a good idea, but I'd use it alot first to see if it settles down if your gun is new. Unless it really is that tough. You could put a dab of grease, too in the mean time.

·
Registered
857 Posts
The safety on my M14 loosened up with use. My Garand has much more use, and the safety is very smooth off and on with a positive engagement.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I have several M1A rifles that have 'sticky' safeties.

Over the past few months I've been watching various videos, and can't seem to find one that tells how to 'Free Up' or 'Loosen Up' a Safety that is sticky!

What contact points to I need to clean up in order to free it up?
Hey KYMM, any luck with the safety loosening up. Just got a scout squad and it takes three men and a boy to flip her on and off

1 - 12 of 12 Posts