M14 Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I finally found an M-14 clone but I don't know if it's a Polytech or a Norinco...I called Century who imported the rifle, but they were of no use to me...I spoke to 4 Century employees and they say that the rifle was imported before 1995 when they switched over to a computer database...I know they have retained records of the import of the rifle, but Century Customer Service isn't going to actually go above and beyond to help me out...my question is can someone point me in the right direction on how I can find out if it's a Polytech or Norinco...I have the serial number...C91219...the c might not be part of the serial number...any help would be much appreciated.

thanks,

edited...I just realized that I posted this thread in the wrong forum section...would a mod. please move this thread to the correct section...and my apologies.

Sy

**Post Moved** wdigeorge

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
THere is no need to call anyone, let alone the BATF.

If it is a Polytech is will be marked so - either on the heel or the left side of the receiver by the heel. If it isn't marked, or if the only markings you can find are numbers of some sort then it's a Norinco.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the information...the description states that the only markings are the serial number and the CAI import marks...looks like I have a Norinco...am I correct by thinking that the Polytechs were made better than the Norincos? I paid $585, so hopefully it wasn't over it's current value.

·
Registered
170 Posts
I think that was a fair deal for both if the rifle is in VG or better condition.

·
Registered
4,041 Posts
aubie
You did ok with the price. I would check the headspace, and if it checks out shoot it, if not see Warbird. :D
SHADOW

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have been wanting a chinese m-14 for a couple of years and I noticed that prices were approaching $900 in some areas, so I am glad to finally locate one. I was thinking about replacing the bolt with a USGI one...seems that many who own these rifles do this upgrade.

·
Registered
9,465 Posts
It's a Norinco model imported into the United States by Century Arms International in 1994. Please don't be too hard on Century Arms customer service. I'll not go into details but they are telling you the truth regarding their records and my information comes from them.

·
Registered
56 Posts
If in good shape you got a very good deal. Some Polytechs were more nicely finished, but your Norinco will be fine.

Buy or borrow a USGI field reject gauge. If it passes, then shoot it and check periodically. Watch for protruding primers, etc. The rifle will tell you when it's time to swap bolts.

Do swap stocks. You can get a USGI fiberglass or birch for a few bucks from Fred's and the rifle will look and handle better.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Different..thank you for finding out when it was imported and confirming it is a Norinco...as far as being tough on Century Customer Service...I was transferred to five different people who could not help me. I even had to call their VT office for help.

The descrpition on this rifle states that it has 98% finish. I am definately planning on replacing the stock with a fiberglass stock. A question on the gauge...I was planning on buying the Forester go and no go gauges for my FAL builds...do I want/need the field gauge too? I figured that the go and no go gauges would be enough, but I am here to learn, so please educate me.

·
Forever Remembered - RIP
3,750 Posts
My Forester gauges I have are 308 win. gages. I got the 3 gage set. Field is the longest of the 3. Your bolt may close on the Win. no go and still be in 7.62 specs. The gages measure: GO=1.3600, NO GO=1.3634 and FIELD 1.6380. 7.62 NATO is more generous than 308 win. One of my chambers will swallow the first two gages and you can feel a slight resistance before lockup on the field gage. It fires NATO ball fine, as well as my hand loads. I don't use store bought 308Win. ammo in that rifle. I hope this helps some.

·
Registered
9,465 Posts
aubie515 said:
Different..thank you for finding out when it was imported and confirming it is a Norinco...as far as being tough on Century Customer Service...I was transferred to five different people who could not help me. I even had to call their VT office for help.

The descrpition on this rifle states that it has 98% finish. I am definately planning on replacing the stock with a fiberglass stock. A question on the gauge...I was planning on buying the Forester go and no go gauges for my FAL builds...do I want/need the field gauge too? I figured that the go and no go gauges would be enough, but I am here to learn, so please educate me.
Roger that. It sounds like they tried to help. Just remember, when it comes to M14/M1A history questions, check this discussion board first. Chances are, you'll get a faster and better answer here. No joke.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.