M14 Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2,738 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm trying to workout a trade with someone for his USGI wood stock. I'm new to this, so how can I tell if it is USGI? He said the only marking is "US" on the buttstock.

I just want to make sure I'm getting a fair trade.

·
Registered
7,565 Posts
The marking doesn't sound right, but We would have to see the stock to determine if it's actually GI. Not all GI stocks are marked. Also look under the butt plate for a manufacturers mark which also isn't always there. The type of wood may be an indicator too. GI stocks are going to be walnut, birch, and a few cherry. Chinese wood has very wide grain.

·
Super Moderator
3,397 Posts
This can be a tricky situation if you are not familiar. I always refer to the postings made by "Different" that outlines most of the critical information to identify stocks.

Normally you are looking for a combination of things to identify a stock as USGI:

Markings under the butt plate by some of the original manufactures - H, O, SA, ^S, W-W although some of the replacement stocks by H. Sacks and Sons Inc. and some others may have nothing under the butt plate. H. Sacks and Sons Inc. and Winchester also produced Big Red replacement stocks that normally have Either WW-11010263 for Winchester or ^S 11010263 stamped under the butt plate. H. Sacks and Sons Inc. also produced a replacement rack grade stock [not "Big-Red"] that may not have any marking except a ^S under the butt plate. In addition, you look for crimping on the front stock Ferrule either a "Pin Punch" or "Half-Moon Crimped" version as well as potentially a proof P stamp [Aerial P or Serif P] right behind the trigger and the DOD stamp on the side of the stock [if they were proof fired and accepted by the DOD]. Other markings also exist but this response would get too long to get into those.

I am not aware of "US" marking from one of the original manufactures as any type of production stamp. I am wondering if this stock might be a H. Sacks and Sons Inc. that would have a half-diamond with and S under it - kind of like ^S that is being mistaken for US???? Would have to get a picture of the stock with the butt plate removed.

Lastly - I would not trade without getting very good picks of the stock including multiple pictures of the stock at various angles and a picture with the butt plate removed. Many excellent stocks exists that can be 100% identified as USGI to risk doing a trade not knowing.

Just my .02

·
Super Moderator
3,397 Posts
Just saw the Pic after my post... Looks like a H. Sacks & Sons Inc. replacement stock - bet it has a half diamond and S - ^S under the but plate.

The dark spot near the liner screw back to the full auto cut out - Looks like a repair to me as that is a very normal place to develop a crack in the stock. However, I can't see it clear to really confirm that.....

·
Very Old Salt
1,906 Posts
Just saw the Pic after my post... Looks like a H. Sacks & Sons Inc. replacement stock - bet it has a half diamond and S - ^S under the but plate.

The dark spot near the liner screw back to the full auto cut out - Looks like a repair to me as that is a very normal place to develop a crack in the stock. However, I can't see it clear to really confirm that.....
I'm on my phone so I can't really tell if the ferrule is pin punched or crimped

·
Registered
9,465 Posts
Lets keep this simple. The full auto cutout is a pretty fair indicator that it's a USGI stock.
That is 99.9999% correct. Boyds' Gunstock Industries made some walnut M14 stocks with the selector cutout in 2005 for the civilian market. They were marked BOYDS in the barrel channel.

·
Registered
425 Posts
I have a walnut stock with the acceptance stamp on the side and the circle 'P' under the grip as well as a selector cut, yet it has nothing stamped in the wood under the butt-plate. It came with the rifle from SAI and was billed as USGI.

·
Very Old Salt
1,906 Posts
I have a walnut stock with the acceptance stamp on the side and the circle 'P' under the grip as well as a selector cut, yet it has nothing stamped in the wood under the butt-plate. It came with the rifle from SAI and was billed as USGI.
Did you get one of those GI collector editions?

·
Very Old Salt
1,906 Posts
You should see if he can get you a pic of the buttplate area. Maybe ask him to open up the trap door under the flapper and see if there are any markings. Its got the DAS eagle stamp, wide sans-serif 'P'...hopefully I'm not wrong here but I'm sticking with TRW. Seems like you got the one fill on the right side near stock liner screw, which is probably a surface crack that I've seen a few times in that same fashion from the hole to the selector cutout. Also looks like another filled crack on the left side. See if he has the rear swivel too.

Also, just my .02

·
Registered
2,738 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
He stated it is missing the rear sling mount. I don't want to bother him anymore with requests. I don't think he is familiar with the stock or weapon system, and he isn't familiar with the military either. I traded some Tulammo along with some 5.56 for it, so if it isn't great no biggie. Definitely a learning experience for me though; first time I traded online. I'm not a patient person and I pretty much sealed the deal with the first person I talked to versus giving the ad some time to attract better deals. Lesson learned.

·
Registered
425 Posts
Did you get one of those GI collector editions?
I bought it from my father and he bought it 20 years ago and just stuck it in the safe. I don't know for certain if it was a special deal, I just know that it is a Loaded model and he got it with both the fiberglass and the wood USGI stocks.

·
Very Old Salt
1,906 Posts
I bought it from my father and he bought it 20 years ago and just stuck it in the safe. I don't know for certain if it was a special deal, I just know that it is a Loaded model and he got it with both the fiberglass and the wood USGI stocks.
Ah okay. SAI offered a 'collector edition' m1a standard for a period of time. Basically just a regular standard with collectors grade usgi stock from what I read

·
Registered
4,998 Posts
I believe that was billed as the Loaded Collectors model and came out before the Loaded became a regular production model. A friend of mine has one of these early Loadeds.

Just out of curiosity, does your rifle have a lockbar windage knob?

1 - 19 of 19 Posts