M14 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
2,738 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today I received a USGI wood stock in the mail from someone I traded ammo with. It has A LOT of repairs. If you can stomach it, please look through them and tell me what can be done to it. I did discover the stock has some striping, but obviously it took me awhile to see that past all of the repairs.

My two main questions are: With this many repairs, is it still a functional, solid stock for the rifle? Does the rifle have any hope of being refinished into a beauty queen?

My SOCOM fits tight in it. I thought maybe there was a problem at first, but I just had to apply pressure at different points to lock it in.

Note: That is not a crack to the left of the selector switch cut out. It is just a dark line that the camera magnified.

·
Very Old Salt
1,908 Posts
That's got some nice stripes. Sucks with all the repairs though, I'm sticking by it being a TRW. Idk about the crack on buttplate though. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, but imho it won't be a 'beauty queen.' Maybe with a good refinish job it will bring out the stripes and take attention away from the repairs.

·
Registered
838 Posts
It would only take a couple of week on a battle field to look like that, just rub it out and oil it and you're good for a few more weeks in the field.GI1

·
Registered
1,684 Posts
The repairs are not typical of arsenal work, usually with arsenal style repairs brass pins would have been used.

Remove the barreled action from the stock and also inspect the area of the rivets for the front sling mount. There could be cracks running thru there. Squeeze either side of the barrel channel together with your hand (not hard) and try twisting the forend (again, not hard). Listen for any cracking sounds and feel for the forend to twist. If it flexes there is a good chance that there are smaller hairline cracks in the forend that you might not be seeing.

You could sand it, if you do make sure to do this over some news paper and keep the saw dust.

After its sanded use steam to raise the wood around the dings to take the dings out.

Any large dings that wont sand out fill with shelac and then coat with the saw dust from the stock and then sand it flush.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gA202dglXtA[/ame]

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_YJEhZ196m0[/ame]

There was also a forum member here by the name "CandyMan" that literally would bring broken, cracked and otherwise destroyed stocks back to life. Look for his threads in the "Take Stock" section fo the forum.

·
Registered
5,347 Posts
As others have mentioned, it's not that bad... unless of course you had your heart set on a "presentation grade" stock. This one is repairable and should turn out looking quite good. Let me know if you need any help.

·
Registered
3,568 Posts

·
Registered
1,594 Posts
The real question is "Are you happy with it?"

Reactions: evilgrin

·
Registered
4,679 Posts
I've seen worse GI M-14/M-1 stocks in my time and I was expecting to see one whole lot worse for wear. Carefully clean it up and repair the imperfections as best you can and get some use out of it.

7th

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
Fix the cracks, refinish if you want and shoot the daylights out of it. Repeat if necessary.

Bruce

·
Registered
6,577 Posts
Looks great to me as is. Sexy stick.

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
If the repairs are sound, then your stock might be a good one for a first time bedding job. Check out the bedding videos posted by Tonyben.

·
Registered
2,935 Posts
I'd force some acraglass into any unfilled cracks(like the upper buttplate screw hole: coat the screw with release agent, force glass into the hole and insert screw, remove screw tomorrow morning) and call the rest good. The looks could be improved but this is a beater pure and simple, I'd use it that way. Check Freds and see if you can get a stock not quite in that bad condition cosmetically and spend your refinish time on that one. Looks to be a nice usable field stock to me.

·
Registered
350 Posts
I don't think she is that bad. Cnelson gave excellent instructions. I am not a stock master, but I've restored a few to my liking. This may rub people the wrong way... I will lightly sand the stock and then put it in the dish washer, without detergent. Hot water and steam will raise the minor dents. I'll post a picture showing the dishwasher doesn't ruin the stock. After it is dry I'll rub with 000 steel wool. Stain and then tongue oil. I wouldn't worry about the repairs, gives it good character. You know, tough.

One is a Garand stock and the other is usgi M14. I could not see the SA mark until I ran it through the dishwasher.

·
Registered
2,738 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I tested the stock for more cracks or damage. No cracking sounds and no flexing at all. I did find another repair, but overall this stock is still just a solid, tight beater. I used a damp rag to wipe it down. A lot of what I thought was bad wood or scrapes actually just turned out to be some gunk that had dried on it.

Overall, I love it.

Does everyone agree on TRW being the manufacturer?

·
Very Old Salt
1,908 Posts
1 - 20 of 36 Posts