M14 Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I'm shooting matches, barrel temp is not a problem. It warm, but not burn your skin hot. Not the same story when I'm taking friends and new shooters out the try the M1A.

I'm shooting a match SS barrel. How hot is too hot? What kind of rates of fire are we talking here before a barrel is too hot?

·
Super Moderator
12,083 Posts
I see Kevin that you have a Tucson zip if so than shoot me a pm and then we can talk on the phone, I will go out on a limb here and say that if you have 20min for 20rds and your done in say 5min your shooting too fast and sooner than later T/E will be the issue before M/E is a factor.
Say you use 50sec/per/rd X 20rds= 16+min this is much nicer on the throat, heat is the big killer here think blow torch and then fallowed by a sand blaster. Muzzle erosion is more from the round going threw the bore (friction) and there has been some time for the powder to cool to a lesser degree, presure in more in the chamber side then the muzzle side.
Shooting untell the barrel gets so hot you can almost cook is not a good thing but if you keep it at a steady temp the barrel will thank you. this is only my MHO and I realy don`t know ahole lot my.02

·
Registered
168 Posts
From The U.S. .30 Caliber Gas Operated Service Rifles - A Shop Manual - Volumes I & II
by Jerry Kuhnhausen.

Jerry Kuhnhausen said:
Rate of fire, semiautomatic (note 4):

1 minute . . . . . . . . 40 rpm
2 minutes . . . . . . . 40 rpm
5 minutes . . . . . . . 30 rpm
10 minutes . . . . . . 20 rpm
15 minutes . . . . . . 20 rpm
20 minutes . . . . . . 20 rpm
30 minutes . . . . . . 15 rpm

Note 4 - Defined as the number of rounds per minute that can be fired from an M14 Rifle, within the listed time periods, without serious overheating and danger to the firer or damage to the weapon. Different than maximum effective firing rate which is defined as the maximum number of rounds the average soldier can fire and still get a reasonable number of hits on target.
But Uncle Sam isn't paying for your barrel replacements either. So I probably wouldn't shoot as much as Jerry suggests you might. ;)

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Phil McGrath said:
I see Kevin that you have a Tucson zip if so than shoot me a pm and then we can talk on the phone, I will go out on a limb here and say that if you have 20min for 20rds and your done in say 5min your shooting too fast and sooner than later T/E will be the issue before M/E is a factor.
Say you use 50sec/per/rd X 20rds= 16+min this is much nicer on the throat, heat is the big killer here think blow torch and then fallowed by a sand blaster. Muzzle erosion is more from the round going threw the bore (friction) and there has been some time for the powder to cool to a lesser degree, presure in more in the chamber side then the muzzle side.
Shooting untell the barrel gets so hot you can almost cook is not a good thing but if you keep it at a steady temp the barrel will thank you. this is only my MHO and I realy don`t know ahole lot my.02
Unluckly I'm now a resident of California, hence the change over to M1A to shoot high power matches. The match AR-15 will not follow me to California. Someday maybe when the laws change.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Someday that heathendom will VANISH from the face of the Earth =D> So, all like-minded individuals will hopefully get out before it happens :)

·
Registered
94 Posts
6016mech said:
Someday that heathendom will VANISH from the face of the Earth =D> So, all like-minded individuals will hopefully get out before it happens :)
Just like in the Revolutionary war, all it takes is a few good men to stand up and fight for a change.
Some of us stay here and fight the good fight, to help keep this cancer from spreading to the other states, and eventually extinguish it here.
If everyone was to cut and run, it would only continue to grow.
I choose to fight.

·
Registered
3,857 Posts
We shot a rattle battle this past fall in San Jose. I got off 38 rounds in 50 seconds. That's too hot (my front sight was smoking).

I generally don't even think about heat. I shoot highpower matches mostly, and I don't think the pace there is too destructive. Plus I handload, so I prefer to savor each round.

Ty

·
Registered
678 Posts
As I understand it, heat is the killer so less heat means less throat wear. The GI manuals have maximum rates of fire, but this is to allow you to continue to fight in battle - not to keep the weapon in the condition that you and I would like. After wearing out my original TRW barrel in 3000 rds, my advice keep the barrel cool to the touch.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
M14 said:
As I understand it, heat is the killer so less heat means less throat wear. The GI manuals have maximum rates of fire, but this is to allow you to continue to fight in battle - not to keep the weapon in the condition that you and I would like. After wearing out my original TRW barrel in 3000 rds, my advice keep the barrel cool to the touch.
Is it me or does a .308 heat up more than a .223 given the same rate of fire?

Plus any products out there where I can stick a hose into the chamber wtih action open, that will blow air into the barrel to cool it down quicker?

·
Registered
85 Posts
i'm just a fng but ,with 30yrs experience shooting hp I think the cooler you keep the barrel the longer it will last, with top accuracy. that being said I havn't seen any difference shooting 20 rds per min yet . time will tell. SA 151,xxx great!!!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.