M14 Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,827 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
thought about pickin some up for ar and m1a and 45 and 9mm

seems to be priced right but hows accuracy/reliability?

hornady is great ammo iknow but some semi-auto rifles dont feed steel cases well, it'd be great if somone whos used it could give me heads up before i buy.

thanks,
mike

·
Registered
1,350 Posts
Wow....sorry it shot like crap for you. I shot it in two of my AR's; a RRA NM A-4 and a Delton M4 with chrome lined barrel. It shot fine in each one, in fact, it shot a 1" group in my NM. I ran it through my chronograph and it is a bit slow. Here is what I found:

NM A-4 - 2591 fps avg.
M4 - 2601 fps avg. This is not a misprint, it was a bit faster out of a 16" barrel...go figure. It ran slower out of my 20" NM. I have never seen that happen.

At the same time I tried some of their 5.56 75grain Superperformance in the same guns.

NM A-4 - 2913 fps avg
M4 - 2732 fps avg

It is my understanding that these loads use the same 75 grain match bullet. 2732 fps from a 16" barrel is great for a 75 grain bullet. The Superperformance ammo shot the same accuracy wise as the Steel Match did from both guns.

The only way you will know if it works in yours is try it; just know that it is a bit slower than most 75 grain ammo.

Good luck.

·
Registered
963 Posts
I used to shoot tons of steel cased Wolf 9x19 and a fair amount of the same in .45ACP. No dramas at all (well, one overly long case (during a match of course) and possibly one misfire in many thousands of rounds) with the 9mm. The .45 worked, but extraction was noticably harder, so it didn't get run though the old 1911s, only the newer ones.

So don't let the steel cases deter you in the pistol calibers. Try it.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.