M14 Forum banner
21 - 24 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
9,825 Posts
Applied Ballistics for Long-Range Shooting by Brian Litz, great book lots of info as well as detail drawings and dimensions of the more popular match bullets, want to know the difference in the boattail radius between a nosler c/c and a SMK? its in there as well as a nifty computer program that does more stuff than I have figured out yet
and Brian is a very nice guy GI2
Oh thanks, you forced me to spend more money that I don't have. DI2 I've been looking at the book for a while and you motivated me to go to his web site and buy the book and cd.

·
Registered
2 Posts
While 38.7 grains seems to work for some rifles remember that there is a minimum port pressure required to make the gas piston move with enough force to reliably operate the rifle. I like the lighter loads for the fact that they don't beat the rifle up and the throats will last longer and they usually group tighter, at least at 100 yards. But a new reloader needs to be aware that too light of a load can cause issues too, in fact a lot of reloading manuals warn against loading anything below their minimum loads, which is significantly below the 38.7gr load mentioned.
Sirs, if only wanting to use cheap loads to improve skill on an m1a scout not for distance--just metal plates 200--300 yards max...new to reloading with IMR 4064 and lee breacher press, what's the best economical bullet load that will have enough fps to cycle m1a as some bullets have less rating just for bolt action? Would it be the 175 SMK or what's a good option Sir. I'm using imr 4064, CCI Br2 large rifle primer, sig elite brass. I can only buy the small 308 manual for now. Thank you in advance i/G\i

·
Registered
3,143 Posts
Sirs, if only wanting to use cheap loads to improve skill on an m1a scout not for distance--just metal plates 200--300 yards max...new to reloading with IMR 4064 and lee breacher press, what's the best economical bullet load that will have enough fps to cycle m1a as some bullets have less rating just for bolt action? Would it be the 175 SMK or what's a good option Sir. I'm using imr 4064, CCI Br2 large rifle primer, sig elite brass. I can only buy the small 308 manual for now. Thank you in advance i/G\i
You say 'cheap loads' and then suggest the 175grn SMK. Metal plates at 2-300yds can easily be hit with any standard 150'ish grn FMJ bullet. If you really wanted to tighten it up, find some Nosler 168grn CC seconds or something.

·
Registered
2 Posts
You say 'cheap loads' and then suggest the 175grn SMK. Metal plates at 2-300yds can easily be hit with any standard 150'ish grn FMJ bullet. If you really wanted to tighten it up, find some Nosler 168grn CC seconds or something.
Roger, Thank you. I saw smk 168 gr being mentioned and the prices seem cheap at midway. But I don't really know what's cheap load is just for fun...I'll try researching the nossler Sir

21 - 24 of 24 Posts