M14 Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

I have loaded up the first of some rounds for my M1A standard. I have a hornady book, and I thought the powder seemed a little low, but my last rifle was an ar10 and I assume those can be loaded hotter. I am using 178 Amax, imr4064, winchester primers, and winchester nato cases. I put in 37 grains of powder, but even for a military case is that low? I also have about 100 lapua cases I was going to load for a longer range trip, would adding a grain for a non military case still be low, or am I right on? My overall length is 2.8.

Thanks

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
I just use the Federal Gold Medal Match load.

41.7gr IMR4064 in a Federal case, and CCI #34 primer. Works in all my 308 rifles. Works good in LC caees as well.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The pressures are not too high? I am just timid since I am new to the platform, I would really hate to damage my only rifle over a couple grains of powder

·
Registered
475 Posts
I would still work up the load, but it should be safe. Always be careful, and watch for signs of too much pressure.
This right here... No need to pull slugs and start over. Shoot them, collect data and work your way up. Every rifle is different.

·
Registered
3,438 Posts
I also use the Hornady manual. Looking at other manuals, yes, the Hornady manual is on the light side. After doing some testing these lighter load numbers, I now, start my loads about .5 lower than Max. It might sound risky,...but we are talking about lighter (lawyered) data.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Do some companys have better lawyers than others? Or how do the books vary so much? I would think companies would want to have the higher velocities to make claims on distance and such.

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
Do some companys have better lawyers than others? Or how do the books vary so much? I would think companies would want to have the higher velocities to make claims on distance and such.
I'm not sure its a matter of lawyers so much as different components, test barrels, and gauges. I don't have my manuals with me, but if you were using the exact same components and test barrel as Hornady, you should expect to get the same results. I'm often disappointed in my chrono results untilI go back and read the manuals, which often have 26+ length barrels, or use different components. Not always the case, but worth looking into.

Reactions: locotonyf

·
Registered
138 Posts
I would agree Hornady seems on the light side. As always safety is the most important concern. Every firearm is different at least in a minor way as far as what load works the best.

However, what I like to do is use at least three or four manuals when I am working up a load. I spend a good bit of time reading and researching before I even touch any components. I also like to have a goal in mind for the load I am developing and keep detailed records of the process.

This has allowed me to work up some great loads along with some that were not so great. It is a hobby all in itself to me and very relaxing and fun.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts