M14 Forum banner

Hornady A-max vs Sierra Match King

8K views 17 replies 15 participants last post by  JEFFJP_N_JJ 
#1 ·
For 200 yards reduced XTC matches are the Hornady A-max bullets good performers compared to Sierra Match Kings? I normally use 155 gr SMK Palma's but my local Cabela's has the A-Max in 155 gr for $20 less per 500.

Grateful for feedback based on experience.

Regards,
Badger

#3 ·
... your experience my be different, but that is one bullet I cannot get to shoot well in any of my rifles, M1 or M1A. (I have had great luck with their 168 Amax.)

If cost is an issue, and you are planning on sticking with 155's, I would keep a close watch on Shooters Pro Shop and try to catch some Noslers at a discounted overrun price.

#4 ·
I have had great results with Hornady A-MAX & Z-MAX 168 grain commercial ammunition on 100-750 yards targets with my NM M1A over the years.

DI5

Reactions: little oney
#5 ·
I loved my 155gr Amax's but have decided to stick with loading 168 Amax's and Sierra 175's with one powder measure setting...

#8 ·
At Camp Perry, back when the CMP stilled gave us ammo, the Hornady A-Max shot extremely well in both of my '03 and M1 rifles. That is .30-06, of course, but they should shoot well in 7.62MM too.

#9 ·
Now they have the ELD bullets from Hornady.

I have shot awesome groups in other calibers with them. Most namely my CZ 550 in 6.5 x 55 Swede. I was chasing a "Quarter" with all of my other loadings using SMK, AMAX, and BTHP bullets in the 140 gr. range. I decided to try a box of the Hornady 143 gr. ELD-X bullets and on my second string of test loads I shot a "DIME" instead of a "Quarter".

I was happy with them. Something about the new Poly tip on the Hornady ELD line doesnt' deform as easily and stays together longer. I have had several AMAX bullets get jammed up and knurled in the loading process.

#10 ·
I've never been a fan of A-Max bullets, I've never been able to get them to shoot well in any of my rifles. I also had trouble with the early ones, I'd find the plastic tips came off of the bullets still in the box. A-max bullets sans tip don't fly very well.

Hornady has some great bullets in their lineup, I really like the XTP bullets and there's nothing wrong with their non tipped match bullets, but IMHO their marketing sucks. Their reps seemed to go out of their way to trash Sierra and other bullet makers in the business and their schtick about all the other tipped bullets melting in flight (except theirs, of course) I'm not buying.

#11 ·
Since it's a 200 yard reduced match, you could shoot Speer 125 TNTs for all stages of that match. They are cheaper and I find they group better for short distances than most of the heavier bullets. If you buy the 500 bullet value pack, they run around 20 cents each versus 30 cents or more for the other heavier bullets.

Do a quick search on this forum for 125 TNT loads and you will see what I mean.

#16 ·
Well, opinions are like you know what, everyone has one. But since you asked, at a 200 yd match with open sights you are far more of a factor than the bullet. I strongly prefer sierra but I know better shooters that use hornady and sierra. I prefer to set up dies and guns for one bullet only. If you find a cheap bullet, rock on. Either one is capable of cleaning a target.

#18 ·
I have used and liked both but think the A-Max does a bit better for me.
At least I can tell them from my 175 Sierras

Reactions: Ammoholic
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.