M14 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
7,735 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Has anyone used this ammo for bolts, or the M1a? Live ammo off the shelf manufactured commercial stuff, not reloading components.

Because out of the box they won’t fall all the way into the Sheridan gauge, short by 1/16 at least.
More than just the rim. I couldn’t get my bolt to close on them so I didn’t force the issue and went to other ammo for testing. I checked them afterwords and discovered they seem to be a big larger at the base.

·
Registered
526 Posts
Has anyone used this ammo for bolts, or the M1a?

Because out of the box they won’t fall all the way into the Sheridan gauge, short by 1/16 at least.
More than just the rim. I couldn’t get my bolt to close on them so I didn’t force the issue and went to other ammo for testing. I checked them afterwords and discovered they seem to be a big larger at the base.
I hand weight about 100 168 Hornady Match HP BULLETS and compared them to 100 SMKs. The Hs were mostly about +-.5 grains with a couple a full grain off. The SMKs were +-.1 grains. I now have about 500 168 Hs in boxes and not loaded.

·
Registered
1,863 Posts
Has anyone used this ammo for bolts, or the M1a?

pull your seating stem and run through your press

·
Registered
7,735 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
i am aware, I am talking about your seating die
The seating die without the stem crushed the shoulder, pretty good.

Then I used a body die and that returned it to its previous size. Then the small base die reduced it down so it fit in the Sheridan.
So I’m guessing Art nfe1 was using a Sb body die, not a seat die.

Having that Sb body die in the tool box might be the next best thing to sliced bread and a Sheridan gauge.
But there getting hard to find.

·
Registered
1,863 Posts
The seating die without the stem crushed the shoulder, pretty good.

Then I used a body die and that returned it to its previous size. Then the small base die reduced it down so it fit in the Sheridan.
So I’m guessing Art nfe1 was using a Sb body die, not a seat die.

Having that Sb body die in the tool box might be the next best thing to sliced bread and a Sheridan gauge.
But there getting hard to find.
I read arts post awhile back with a similar scenario, I thought he used a seating die and didn't search the reference. I'm glad it worked out for you compadre.

·
Registered
3,058 Posts
I've used the Redding "Body Die" to correct some reloads that needed a little more shoulder bump, but never would have considered that factory ammo needed a little extra massaging to close the bolt. Usually, factory ammo is a few thou less than SAMMI chamber (GO Gauge) spec.

·
Registered
2,937 Posts
I would say that factory ammo was not to spec's & should have been returned to the Factory for replacement .Even Factory Ammo can have loading issues with tooling coming out of adjustment. The SB Die Body is a good idea , I guess in some remote instances .

1 - 9 of 9 Posts