M14 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
600 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was cleaning out my newly acquired weaponry and noticed the Hoppe's 9 Bottle says

"Removes Corrosive Primer fouling and residue"

Can some tell me if this means i can use this when shooting corrosive ammo?

·
Registered
1,375 Posts
Yes Hoppes is the same formula now as when it was introduced. Back then there was lots of corrosive around.I have some French corrosive and even though I use Hoppes on everything when corrosive is involved I use soapy water then Hoppes.

·
Registered
3,997 Posts
Yes Hoppes is the same formula now as when it was introduced. Back then there was lots of corrosive around.I have some French corrosive and even though I use Hoppes on everything when corrosive is involved I use soapy water then Hoppes.
As above stated I would not rely just on Hoppes to remove Corrosive out,in that case Water is your best friend

·
Registered
4,057 Posts
First of all I love Hoppe's #9, that is All I have ever used and still do,but it WILL NOT eliminate Corrosive Salts,( Idon't care what it says) No Modern Powder Solvent does, as far as I am concerned only Hot Soapy Water and the OLD GI Bore Solvent in the OD Green Cans do, some say that Ammonia, as in Windex will also do the Job but I am one that is not convinced about that one!

·
Registered
600 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
can i ask what the hot soap does exactly?

·
Registered
3,830 Posts
I have been pouring boiling water down the bore of my M39 Finn, this should wash out the corrosive residue, and it dries quickly as well. Then windex with ammonia, then dry, and after all of this clean with Hoppe's number 9. I thoroughly clean the receiver and bolt as well, I take the bolt completely apart, spray with the same windex with ammonia, wash with hot water, dry, and then the bolt parts sits in some transmission fluid while I am cleaning the rifle.

This all sounds like a lot of work, but it really isn't, and doesn't take that long either.

·
Registered
448 Posts
can i ask what the hot soap does exactly?
hot soap and water disolves the salts that are the result of corrosive primers and powders

trung si i found a couple cans of that gi cleaner today at a flea market the seller wanted $25 a can for it i passed on the dealGI8

i use sweet's 7.62 solvent on all of my guns and but i also use HOT soap and water on all corrosive ammo followed by the sweet's7.62 and then hops#9 to finish

·
Registered
249 Posts
i use sweet's 7.62 solvent on all of my guns and but i also use HOT soap and water on all corrosive ammo followed by the sweet's7.62 and then hops#9 to finish
Sweets works wonders, but I think I'm going to give it the worst smelling gun chemical award. For anyone who has cats, you know what I mean. GI6

Hoppe's on the other hand smells great. They should make cologne out of it. Eau de Shooter

·
Registered
448 Posts
Sweets works wonders, but I think I'm going to give it the worst smelling gun chemical award. For anyone who has cats, you know what I mean. GI6

Hoppe's on the other hand smells great. They should make cologne out of it. Eau de Shooter
yes i agree with you on the smell but nothing cuts copper out like sweet's and every one loves that sweet smell of hopp's#9
hell i would just about drink the stuff but it just doesn't cut like the sweet's 7.62

·
Registered
622 Posts
http://www.surplusrifle.com/reviews2006/alittlesalt/index.asp

Anything water based will dissolve the salt, like windex or, of course, hot water. Personally, I've gotten rust after using hoppes on a M39. I've used windex with good results, but the best is hot water, if it's practical.
Well Hopes isn't exactly a rust preventive it is a solvent. I don't really care for CLP but it works well in preventing rust as does the silica bags you can buy. Hopes works fine for corrosive on my AK and Mosin. Have yet to have an issue. I use Hopes to start with then finish up with TM solution.

·
Registered
92 Posts
First of all I love Hoppe's #9, that is All I have ever used and still do,but it WILL NOT eliminate Corrosive Salts,( Idon't care what it says) No Modern Powder Solvent does, as far as I am concerned only Hot Soapy Water and the OLD GI Bore Solvent in the OD Green Cans do, some say that Ammonia, as in Windex will also do the Job but I am one that is not convinced about that one!
I have used many thousands of rounds of corrosive ammo and THIS is the best thing for cleaning it. Go to the gunshow and getr some WWII USGI bore cleaner. Forget Windex and hot soapy water!

·
Registered
94 Posts
Best thing going is Gunzilla. Removes blackpowder fouling, rust, lead, copper, etc. Odorless as well.

·
Registered
71 Posts
We used hot black coffee on the range, pretty unconventional, but it works. Hot water with a tablespoon of baking soda always has worked for me, followed by a normal cleaning. You only get one new bore.

·
Registered
467 Posts
Gentlemen,
Rifle Bore Cleaner, USGI-type 1 ea., also know as RBC, is widely available on eBay for the price of a bottled import beer at the pub.

Nothing else compares... not even close. DI2

Remember, cleanliness is close to Godliness, and that will git ya more X's...

·
Registered
5,679 Posts
The old stinky GI bore solvent won't fail you, but I'm satisfied Hoppe's # 9 works, at least if you get to the barrel while it's still warm from shooting. Reason I say this - back in the mid-'80's we got hold of a huge lot of that Taiwanese M2 ball ammo that was marked "60A." It was real cheap, maybe 15 cents a round. We shot it for practice ammo, nobody knew or suspected the primers are corrosive. Wasn't til maybe 10 years ago I learned that. I even shot hundreds of rounds of the stuff in my Glen Nelson-built Garand. I always cleaned the bore and chamber with plenty of Hoppe's, brushing and patching, soon as I done shooting. I still own that rifle; the bore and chamber are still bright, not even a tiny pit. Ignorance was bliss, I guess. Still have some of that ammo, would shoot it again in a pinch. I'll still shoot WW II and Korean War era ammo if I'm OK with how it's been stored, but I'll use the GI bore solvent ahead of Hoppe's. A cat only gets 9 lives.

·
Registered
600 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
so i was talking with some older guys yesterday and one was a veteran who said that you can mix hydrogenproxide and water together and that it works to clean the salts out?

Anyone heard of this i sure never have.

·
Registered
49 Posts
so i was talking with some older guys yesterday and one was a veteran who said that you can mix hydrogenproxide and water together and that it works to clean the salts out?

Anyone heard of this i sure never have.
Anything water based will dissolve the KCI salt. (WW2 bore cleaner is an excellent example of a water based bore solvent, as is Mpro7, and a few others) Someone also asked why soap would make a difference, soap acts a surfactant and breaks the surface tension of the water, so it can flow into tiny spaces. (The soap itself has little effect on salt) As far as peroxide goes, the only people I've heard talk about it is the AMU, who use it to neutralize powerful copper cleaners like sweets. When I shoot corrosive, I like a little pot of boiling water and dish soap, easy to dunk things like flash hiders, gas cylinders, bolts and bolt carriers and other little parts that may be exposed to the gas from firing. If I'm at a range where getting hot water isn't possible, then Windex or GI bore cleaner can be used. (never had a problem with Windex, works great) After I get home a more through cleaning can take place. Otherwise, I just use ATF and some jb compound for normal bore cleaning...

·
Registered
3,649 Posts
The Hoppes 9 formula was changed back in the late 70's or early 80's to stop using benzene as an ingredient. I don't think the new formula works as well as the old one did, but it's still pretty effective and I still use it as my standard bore cleaner along with and occaisionaly douche of Sweet's 7.62. I use CLP for lubing and Lubriplate for greasing.

Hot H2O is the ticket for cleaning corrosive residue from you gun. I do give the bore and other affected surfaces a shot of Windex or a water based surface cleaner when in the field and then deep clean when I get home.

·
Registered
600 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Anything water based will dissolve the KCI salt. (WW2 bore cleaner is an excellent example of a water based bore solvent, as is Mpro7, and a few others) Someone also asked why soap would make a difference, soap acts a surfactant and breaks the surface tension of the water, so it can flow into tiny spaces. (The soap itself has little effect on salt) As far as peroxide goes, the only people I've heard talk about it is the AMU, who use it to neutralize powerful copper cleaners like sweets. When I shoot corrosive, I like a little pot of boiling water and dish soap, easy to dunk things like flash hiders, gas cylinders, bolts and bolt carriers and other little parts that may be exposed to the gas from firing. If I'm at a range where getting hot water isn't possible, then Windex or GI bore cleaner can be used. (never had a problem with Windex, works great) After I get home a more through cleaning can take place. Otherwise, I just use ATF and some jb compound for normal bore cleaning...
Can i ask how ATF works, and is it any type of ATF? Like dextron or ATF +4

1 - 20 of 38 Posts