M14 Forum banner

Hopco USA Micro Red dot Sight Mount for the M1, M1A/M14 Platform

84716 Views 146 Replies 31 Participants Last post by  gunsbeerbacon
Introducing the Hopco USA Micro/Mini Reflex Red Dot Sight Mount for the M1, M1a/M14 platform. We are a couple of weeks behind schedule for releasing the product so we wanted to hurry and get it available.

Our design is to mount a micro/mini reflex red dot sight low on the receiver so as to provide a modern "heads up" visual display and at the same time retain some of the traditional looks of the platform. Care was exercised so that the receiver was not stressed nor modified. Transition from using the iron sights is minimal as it does not require the addition of a cheek riser. Target acquisition is now substantially faster.

By utilizing the rear sight pocket of the M14 receiver we were able to achieve an extremely secure low profile. Installation can be accomplished with a screwdriver and the included hex keys. The gun's original aesthetics are retained by using the factory Windage and Elevation knobs. The increase in weight is approximately the weight of the red dot sight because the Hopco USA aluminum mount replaces the iron sight's steel mechanisms.

Some of the early testing of the Hopco USA mount in "White".

Hopco USA MRD Mount in “White” with a Leupold DeltaPoint.

We have developed three micro reflex red dot sight mounts for the M1, M1a/M14 platform.

HT01, accommodates the;
Burris Fastfire II Reflex Sight,
Primary Arms Micro Reflex Sight,
Insight Technology MRD,
Docter Optic Reflex Sight.

HS01, accommodates the;
Leupold Deltapoint Reflex Sight,
JPoint Micro Electronic Reflex Sight,
Tasco Optima 2000,
C-MORE STS (With Modification).

HS02, accommodates the;
Trijicon RMR (Ruggedized Miniature Reflex)

Hopco USA MRD Mount on a Garand with the Burris Fastfire II

Hopco USA MRD Mount on a M1A with a Docter Optic

Testing the Docter Optic for 400 rounds in one session.

Introductory Price: $99
Price after 1/31/2012: $125
USPS Flat Rate Priority Shipping $5
California Residents add 8.5%

To order: email us at [email protected], please indicate what red dot you will be using.
We accept Money Orders or Checks.
1 - 20 of 147 Posts

· Registered
1,206 Posts
Hi
I'm the other half that designed the sight mount. Using the stripper clip guide as a base would put the red dot sight at least 1/2 inch higher and in order to be able to co-witness with the front sight, the front sight would have to be at least 1/2 inch taller than the existing front sight. Depending on which red dot sight is employed, you may able to use the window/lens opening of the red dot sight as a rear ghost ring. In an earlier post in the optics section we've posted pictures of the view through the sight enabling using the sight as a rear ghost ring if the lights should go dim. The picture above is with a Doctor sight(Ger). The front sight is experimental utilising a HK91/MP5 front sight. Backup sight picture is fast because the aperture and front sight are large and minute of man is easily attained out to 50-75 yards....with practice, farther.

· Premium Member
2,776 Posts
I like it...good idea!

Reactions: Joelogic

· Premium Member
2,776 Posts
Nice!! lol

· Registered
1,206 Posts
If y'all are going to do taller front sights as well, I'm even more interested. They're a bother to do as "one offs".

This one's too tall for a current project

BTW, the Trijicon RMR sights do well out to at least 200yds with no parallax dramas.
Jmoore....the parts necessary for the right height front sight for being able to use the red dot as a ghost ring with the front sight are out there already...this already works for a socom and may work for a scout/bush. I just got a hold of a scout and haven't had time to futz with it. For the socom, you need the SEI gas lock conversion for the socom to 5/8 x 24 thread. Last I looked SEI was selling it as a package deal with the Vortex and the SEI brake. You can get it separately from Nokick.com The sight base is taller so that you could use a standard m14 front sight and it would be equal to the overall height of the XS sight the socom comes with but in order to get the needed height to be able to utilize the (in your case) trijicon RM0xx you have to get the front sight of a M1/garand. The garand front sight dovetail is longer front to rear than the M14. You can make it fit by either shimming the dove tail to take up the gap so you can then tighten down. The alternative is splitting the sight vertically and filing the rear half to remove the excess. I posted pictures of it in the optics section where GeePee had a thread on alternative front sights for the socom. Will get joelogic my partner to add those pictures to our opening post... The garand front sight height is the same as the socom's XS sight..approx .7 inches...so when you mount it on to the SEI gas lock, it ends up high enough that when sighting through the red dot, you will be able to co-witness the dot with the front sight post....you can use either the standard or the NM....cost items...SEI gas lock...about 90, garand front sights..from E-gunparts(Numerich) 12-ish for the std and 30-ish for the NM....then your choice for muzzle brake...I have both battlecomp and PWS.

btw...like your work on the trigger lightening....

· Registered
857 Posts
cool idea but may I criticize something politely?

Ive spent time behind a serious use rifle where people wanted me dead(which may not be your target audience), I wont run a red dot w/o a BUIS, so I have two thoughts on that-

1. Create a mount that works on the Charger clip guide w/ an optic that can be removed rapidly if needed(not sure how feasible on an m14) so irons can be used

2. Keep the existing idea but have a rear aperature built in that cowitnesses or can be used/seen through the optic, even just a flip up peep

If I ever build just a plinking or hunting rig id love to try your current setup though, very neat

· Registered
1,206 Posts

Ive spent time behind a serious use rifle where people wanted me dead(which may not be your target audience), I wont run a red dot w/o a BUIS, so I have two thoughts on that-

1. Create a mount that works on the Charger clip guide w/ an optic that can be removed rapidly if needed(not sure how feasible on an m14) so irons can be used

2. Keep the existing idea but have a rear aperature built in that cowitnesses or can be used/seen through the optic, even just a flip up peep

If I ever build just a plinking or hunting rig id love to try your current setup though, very neat
We looked at preserving the irons and utilizing the stripper clip guide as a possible sight base. In order to even get close to being able to co-witness the sight, it would have to be mounted low over and almost into the ejection path..so no go. There are rail mounts on the market that use the stripper
guide but end up being 3/8 - 1/2 higher than our mount....not to mention that a cheek riser of some sort would have to be used. In the previous post I think we've demonstrated backup / co-witness capability.

· Registered
857 Posts
not trying to bust your chops guys, though itd be great for hunting

· Registered
1,206 Posts
depends on what you're hunting.....backup/co-witness capability isn't out of the picture there...like a pi..ed off porker with 3 inch dentures aiming for your knees at 10 yds and closing.... no offense taken....this is a learning process......when was the last time you needed your irons...

· Registered
103 Posts

I can second what you said. Having irons on a battle style rifle is ESSENTIAL. If this is a plinking/range gun then I love to use this setup.

· Registered
972 Posts
What about lengthening the rear portion of the mount to incorporate a flip up rear sight? The sight could be mounted in a dovetail to make windage adjustments.
Sort of a variation of the old Parrs mount, but better!

A modified Parrs for reference:

1 - 20 of 147 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.