M14 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 88 Posts

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A previous thread got me going on a pistol grip VLTOR/Alpine type stock without breaking the bank. My wet noodle plastic Springer stock volunteered for the finessed hack job. Combined a Mako pistol grip for a Mossberg 500, a little eyeballing and a call to man up with the saw to get it started. Check it out...

More to come once I get the perfect hole saw to tweak the stock to accept the Mako grip's attachment feature. Gotta shorten the trigger gaurd area too. Looking to order an ACE folder hinge and a skeleton stock then screwing and gluing it all together. A little homework and I'll be updating with more pics.

Happy New Year!!

·
Resident Rascal
13,508 Posts
I just knew you had to be another Tennessean! This looks like something I would do. My wife bought me a gate wheel for Christmas. When I found out how much it cost I said I didn't need that! Went out to the shed, got a wheel and axle from an old fertilizer spreader and had a gate wheel in 20 minutes.
I did have to buy two clamps ($1.95) GI4

I'll bet the stock turns out great! Post some more photos Smoky.

·
Registered
2,576 Posts
Keep us updated. These do it yourself projects are always fun to see how they turn out.

·
Registered
744 Posts
Using the Springfield stock for this project makes me think, this one is a prototype. Are you going to make one using a stiffer stock when you see how this one shoots?

·
Registered
3,217 Posts
Lookin good Bubba. I was interested in that thread also. You sure didn't waste anytime getting started. Great pics I could almost see the little gears inside your head turning GI6 as you came up with that angle.
Seriously this is good stuff!!!!! Thanks

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Using the Springfield stock for this project makes me think, this one is a prototype. Are you going to make one using a stiffer stock when you see how this one shoots?
Intent is to make a shootable fun gun that can double up as a travelling defender. From a previous thread, I got this little plastic stock to shoot pretty good by adding roof flashing as shim stock.

If this folder works out pretty solid, i will leave Suzie Scout strapped in it and use my new wood for the LRB I ordered yesterday. My dilemma is the Camo laminated E2 coming in from Tony Law483. What i gonna put in that? decisions, decisions... KARKID

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
A little more fiddling around...

Measuring the receiver ring on the Mako shows 1 1/8" O.D. and 15/16" I.D. which sorta fit a combination of two hole saws, a 1" and 1 1/8th.

Ruffed in and fit pretty good but had a squeeze on the bottom. Also, had to trim a good 3/8" from the trigger gaurd area. Not liking that too much.

NOW we're talking!! BGRIN1

May round the corners a bit before gluing. Feels great now, will be better once it's blended.

It really feels solid with just a bolt holding it but once I'm happy with rounding corners and the little edges, the JB weld is gonna squeeze into all the cracks and hold it strong.

If I was to do another, I'd cut the stock 1/4" longer so as not to have so much to trim off the grip. Feels okay but my big hands could use more room for the middle finger and a little more distance at the trigger. Overall, for a 1st shot over the bow, I think it done well. Once the glue sets up and I honk and twist on it a bit, I'll decide to go ahead with the buffer tube and folding parts to make it complete.

For now, it handles great! What do you think??

·
Registered
210 Posts
Looks great,pretty sharp thinking there.Let us know when it's done.What part of TN.are you from,I live in the WhiteHouse area.

·
Registered
2,576 Posts
Looks pretty good. A first try seems to always show up things you wish you would have done differently.

Good first try.

·
Registered
2,591 Posts
That's pretty Schweet. Looking forward to more.

·
Registered
96 Posts
I like the thinking outside the box. Great work and keep those pictures coming. I am interested in seeing this one finished.

Later,
Scott E.

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks for the good comments. Yea, I'm beginning to really like it too. Played around with it most of the evening before the party kicked off. Looks like the top of the finger groove is gonna get some shaving to compensate for getting too close to the trigger gaurd. Bout an 1/8" down would make it perfect. We'll see.

If a fella wanted a VLTOR type setup, he'd just screw in a buffer tube then slide a modstock or M4 on and rock. I'm wanting a folder so here's some of the parts I'm mulling over to get it going...

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduct/?productnumber=766723

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduct/?productnumber=343591

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduct/?productnumber=896550

If you know of a better option for adapting a folder, throw it out here cause I'm open for suggestions. Just want a solid stock when snapped in. Heard good reports on the ACE but there has to be others as well. Let me know... Thanks! BIGTHUMPUP

·
Registered
25 Posts
looing good! You can scrape out the foam in the wrist of the stock all the way out to the glass clean it good, go a inch or so deep I would get it all out if possible, then fill with jb or devcon. Drill and tap for a screw or bolt. When you glue it on with the JB you will have as strong of a fit as possible.You don't want any flexing of the wrist there.

JD

·
Registered
6,695 Posts
+1 for removing the foam and using epoxy. I attached a Butler Creek 870 folding stock by filling hollow with PC7 and used two bolts. Used another bolt and an AK pistol grip to complete it.

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
That was foam??!! YIKES1

Man, i put my JB on yesterday evening hoping it would be rock solid tonite when i got home. That foam is jus' gonna crush aint it. that sticky JB got on everything too. Gonna have to cut it out now. May just leave it and see if it loosens up after firing a few hundred rounds. I aint believing that its foam... downer.

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Tell ya'what... After fearing the foam thing, I came home and white knuckled the grip cause it's maybe 1/2 degree off and it did not budge. I'm gonna run with it. rock solid after all. I guess there was enough meat holding it since I filled the void in the grip and bottom of the stock as to squish it out. Dried hard, real hard.

Here's some pics showing how I angled the head of the bolt somewhat to get a bite on the stock with a washer.

Here's the void I filled with JB Weld to grab the stock by it's short hairs.

JB Weld wants a one-to-one mixture to harden the steel just right.

A couple of pics showing the squeeze out after I torqued the bolt pretty tight. Tight enough I could not rotate it with wet glue. Now it's where it is. Done.

I'm trying to put some black touch-up paint where I rounded the edges a bit. Don't look bad but in the end it'll probly get some Krylon of sort.

Gonna start looking hard at ordering parts soon. Will update.
BIGTHUMPUP

·
Resident Rascal
13,508 Posts
Lookin' good SmokyBaer! CLAP2

·
Registered
637 Posts
Looks great! Excited to see it all put together...

1 - 20 of 88 Posts