M14 Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I guess it really isn't home made, it isn't a commercial one either. Our toolmaker at work made this for me.

The black one is the one he made, and the other one with wear is a NM one out of my Super Match.

The metal from the NM guide was hardness tested to verify the proper steel was used. By the way, the NM ones are made from regular old mild steel.

He then silver soldered the tab into a slot on the end of the guide like the NM piece.

Saved me from spending $40.

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
I have made some for myself but i pin mine together using 3/32 dowel pins. Welding or silver soldering will anneal the tip that engages the Magazine and cause premature wear. This is what happened to the early NM guides that were made by Military armorers.

·
Registered
2,384 Posts
I have made some for myself but i pin mine together using 3/32 dowel pins. Welding or silver soldering will anneal the tip that engages the Magazine and cause premature wear. This is what happened to the early NM guides that were made by Military armorers.

You can always re heat treat it. Or you can keep a wet rag on the end of the tab when soldering it, since that is where it catches the mag.

I also think some armorers maybe got a little too zealous with the oxy acetalyne when soldering it.

·
Registered
474 Posts
If it's made from mild steel you can forget about heat treating it. You might be able to use a "super quench", basicly a strong brine solution, but mild steel doesn't have enough carbon to harden much at all. That said I have no idea what USGI guids are made from, so if you cut one up to use it you might be able to re heat treat.

·
Registered
4,006 Posts
I really like it when somebody take the initiative to build/make it, rather than purchase a part. Sometime there is a little learning curve when choosing the type of materials. Either way it just makes the rifle a little more personal to you. dozier

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.