M14 Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
79 IHC Scout II, 74 VW Bug class 11 look a like
6,613 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I whipped up a batch of home made dog biscuits tonight for my dog,
any body out there make them for there dog? somebody gave me a cookie cutter that looks like a bone and it came with a receipt that my dog really likes.
Its pretty simple and only takes about a hour including baking...

1/2 cup water
1/2 cup oil
2 eggs
3 tablespoons peanut butter
2 teaspoon vanilla
2 cups flour
1/2 cup cornmeal
1/2 cup oats

Blend wet ingredients together, whisk dry ingredients together and mix a wet wet mixture to form a ball of dough, roll out and shape. put on a non-stick lightly greased cookie tray, cook for 20 minutes at 400°. Turn off oven and allow the biscuits to cool in oven until crisp and hard. store in air tight container. I rotated and switched the pans half way through because my oven does not heat evenly.

Last time I made these the dogs went crazy for them, these may have some filler in them but at least you know what it is that's in them. I get 2 half sheet pans from one batch of dough, I think if you added some brown sugar to them it might make a good emergency cookie too, I ate one from the last batch and it was not to bad, I have had worse.

Casey

·
Registered
523 Posts
Thanks for the idea and recipe.
I'm always giving my dogs biscuits after bird hunting since it has been cold now. Going through them quickly and $ adds up. This seems like a cheap alternative to store bought!

·
Registered
79 IHC Scout II, 74 VW Bug class 11 look a like
6,613 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
technically humans cant process it either but that pretty much whole corn, I know I cant.
Next time I will leave it out, what else would be good to replace it? more oats?
I have thought about grinding up the eggshells to put in it.

Casey

·
Rest in Peace
17,536 Posts
2 cans mackarel or other fish(including juice)
1 jar cheap peanut butter
4 eggs including shells
can of raw pumpkin or sweet potato
about 9oz of quick oats(as a binder)

mix & put on greased pan. 350 degree oven for about 25 minutes. Till the tops start to brown.

I generally use one can of salmon & one of mackeral. You can use more eggs. Make sure its raw pumpkin & not the sweetened stuff. My crew prefers crunchy peanut butter.

Makes 7-8 dozen cookies. Keep frozen or refrigerated. I keep bags of it in the freezer as they stay solid that way.

Other then the quick oats used as a binder, everything in it is healthy for a dog.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts