M14 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
541 Posts
Prob one of the most legit modern snipers out there. Wish
I had the dough. I have my CMP Garand sniper from when they first came out for $675. Plus a mint orig 03A4. An M40 would be nice. Makes me drool. Who has that lottery ticket?

·
Banned
38 Posts
Crazy isn't it. I wish the CMP would allow me to throw some rifles up for auction. I have many that are nicer than one's on the auction site, but I could never get that much on the open market.

I guess people get into a bidding war.

Maybe if the CMP makles enough they can lower the price of HXP. Not.....

·
Registered
3,997 Posts
Crazy isn't it. I wish the CMP would allow me to throw some rifles up for auction. I have many that are nicer than one's on the auction site, but I could never get that much on the open market.

I guess people get into a bidding war.

Maybe if the CMP makles enough they can lower the price of HXP. Not.....
Yeah That will Happen LOL

·
Registered
3,363 Posts
Never understood the one piece base (3 screws instead of 4 on a 2 piece) and the clip slot (covered by the scope and hidden by the base).

Outstanding piece though.

·
Registered
558 Posts
Nice rifle and probably worth the price, but.......wow......I think I'd rather have one that was well.......used if you know what I mean.........anyhow.....over 10k with 10 days left.

http://auction.odcmp.com/auctions/detail.asp?id=2384&pic=0#img
Yeah, starting to get a little ridiculous. $10,000 is pushing it...
Hope the high bidder really has the money to do it, and isn't going to just drop it on a CC, cause they'll be paying that off for a long, long time.

Its all fun and games till the bank kicks your family out on the street....

·
Registered
558 Posts
There's no free lunch, and prices will never come down. imho
Oh, they'll come down again...We get hit with another round of QE or 2 from the FED and when people cant afford milk, these things (well maybe not these particular things) will be getting hawked at bargain basement prices. Fear has driven prices up, fear and reality will drive them down again...

·
Registered
2,591 Posts
over a grand and it's outta my price range , , heck, I can dream can't I?? Dreams don't cost nuthin' yet . . or do they . .

dance2dance2dance2dance2dance2

·
Registered
1,608 Posts
Wow, that's an awesome rifle. Would love to have the real deal, but outside of the stamp on the side of the receiver, and a military date code on the barrel, what's the practical difference between that, and say a current production 700VLS?

Something like this:

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=197043112

Not to be a debbie downer, but that looks a whole lot like a M40 rifle to me, just add glass.. Leupold is making a new copy of the Redfield accu-range for around $130.. To me, a few stamps isn't worth an extra $9k..

·
Registered
690 Posts
Remember when the DCM would sell items like these via lottery? At least then the average Joe had a chance of owning something nice or unique. Thanks Bill.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Remember when the DCM would sell items like these via lottery? At least then the average Joe had a chance of owning something nice or unique. Thanks Bill.
I do, and that was at a time when they actually paid attention to the reason for their existence - promoting civilian marksmanship. Give everyone a fair chance and you'll draw more interest. There are many more people out there of modest means than those of wealth.

Disappointing to see this go to nothing more than a profit motive. US unwashed masses get the message to find another interest, since they have been priced out of this one.

The political danger here is that once a government sponsored organization moves away from its charter and reason for existence, there is no real justification any longer for any kind of government support. A decision was made long ago to create DCM and CMP in accordance with the Constitution's interest in a well trained militia. In doing that, at least initially a decision was made to offer inventory no longer in the mil system to civilians at a price at around what Uncle Sam paid for the rifles and parts or less.

The disease in agencies like this is that they begin to put their existence over the mission, which develops into a self serving justification that profits allow them to become bigger bureaucracies. At some point, they stop serving the public and are solely focused on serving the agency. And when that point is reached, it is time to pull the plug.

·
Registered
558 Posts
I do, and that was at a time when they actually paid attention to the reason for their existence - promoting civilian marksmanship. Give everyone a fair chance and you'll draw more interest. There are many more people out there of modest means than those of wealth.

Disappointing to see this go to nothing more than a profit motive. US unwashed masses get the message to find another interest, since they have been priced out of this one.

The political danger here is that once a government sponsored organization moves away from its charter and reason for existence, there is no real justification any longer for any kind of government support. A decision was made long ago to create DCM and CMP in accordance with the Constitution's interest in a well trained militia. In doing that, at least initially a decision was made to offer inventory no longer in the mil system to civilians at a price at around what Uncle Sam paid for the rifles and parts or less.

The disease in agencies like this is that they begin to put their existence over the mission, which develops into a self serving justification that profits allow them to become bigger bureaucracies. At some point, they stop serving the public and are solely focused on serving the agency. And when that point is reached, it is time to pull the plug.
There was, IMHO, nothing wrong with the final price of this item. There are many an individual of more than modest means who cherish shooting and firearms just as much as the so-called "unwashed masses" with little funds....

I do agree with the other points about when an organization loses its bearings in terms of what it set out to do. The NRA is a prime example, but I dont think putting a fine firearm such as this up for open auction holds any nefarious connotations.

Value is a relative term, and if all firearms always depreciated, half the people here on this forum wouldn't have closets full of M1's, 03A3's, P17's, Nazi Stamped Mausers, Model 70 Colt Pistols, Winchester M1 Carbines, etc, etc... We expect the value to hold....Thats the point....

The rest of the point is this; those arms (above) we cherish, are becoming few and far between. The DCM/CMP could not exist in perpetuity relying on making WWII arms available at a "fair" price to the general public. GI combat arms post WWII are not available to the general public. Who here owns a real M14, who owns an M16...? Few if any....

The CMP is a good organization that I would stand with long after I let my NRA membership expire. It has done great things, especially for youth and families. It has helped in the creation of a continuous nation of marksman, but like all organizations money talks, bs walks, yet the rent still has to get paid. I would stand by the CMP long after I decided to pop smoke on the NRA, which may not be very much further down the road. They (the CMP) deserve our respect and support. They still, after 65 years, manage to get working battle rifles into the American hands that want them for a very fair price. Appreciation, and nothing else, is in order....

1 - 20 of 20 Posts