M14 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
468 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need a holster for both pistols that is good and can be used day in and day out duty type holster something preferable off amazon that sits low below the belt loop and holds 2 to 3 magazines something that i could possibly be used in IPSC that I'm thinking about getting into. I don't want to spend more then 30 bucks per pistol

thanks fellas for always steering in the right direction.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Get a 1911 holster and the BHP will fit it just fine, but not the other way around.

As you get what you pay for, $30 for a holster won't buy you much. Spend $100-130 and you will be fine.

·
Registered
3,254 Posts
Yes, $30 won't get you much, let alone something that will stand up to day in/day out use or even competition. Holster are like scopes... sometimes they can be half the price of the gun itself (or more, in the case of good glass...) but are worth every penny.

·
Registered
3,420 Posts
I have used the same Galco (was Jack Ass) 1911 Miami Vice holster classic for both a 1911 and a BHP for 25+ years with no problems, and cheap holsters aren't that good for day in and day out use, like a lot of stuff, you get what you pay for.

Reactions: daniel17319

·
Registered
3,420 Posts
Yes, $30 won't get you much, let alone something that will stand up to day in/day out use or even competition. Holster are like scopes... sometimes they can be half the price of the gun itself (or more, in the case of good glass...) but are worth every penny.
This is the truth!

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
In a duty type rig, you want your mags separate from your weapon, and preferably on the support hand side. Kind of difficult to make a fast reload with the same hand that's holding your weapon. If you want cheap, then Kydex or plastic are your only options. Safariland has some newer Kydex retention holsters that are pretty nice, but it'll cost you more than $30. The cheapest that I've seen that is still servicable is the Blackhawk SERPA, which I like for IPSC, but would hesitate to use in a duty situation.

For concealment I use a Galco Royal Guard IWB for both the 1911 5" and the Browning High Power. It'll run you $130 full retail from Galco, but you can usually find one for less on the "street" as they say. I also highly discourage cheap holsters, especially cheap leather holsters. Like optics, you get exactly what you pay for, though with a cheap holster, you can increase the chances of an AD significantly, especially an IWB style which can fold flatter than a wet taco with no reinforcement around the mouth of the holster. Good luck re-holstering after the draw without undoing your belt.

·
Registered
3,897 Posts
I went with kydex from a custom shop in Cleveland for my 1911 and 229. I've had the one for the 1911 for about three years now and the 229 for about ten months and they both work great.

The 1911 was around 80 bucks since it was custom done for the light that goes with it. The 229 was a little more but also done for the attached light.

Reactions: daniel17319

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
Thanks for the advice

what can i get a for the best value for the money.
Look here:

http://www.safariland.com/bianchi/products/holsters-and-gear/holsters/duty-holsters/

Go to the Safariland side using the toolbar on the top of the site to see their products.

http://www.blackhawk.com/Products/Holsters-Duty-Gear/Holsters/Duty.aspx

These are full retail pricing. If you're LE you'll get a discount, if not you can find these products at online retailers such as Galls, Brownells, Midwayusa or others.

·
Registered
468 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Look here:

http://www.safariland.com/bianchi/products/holsters-and-gear/holsters/duty-holsters/

Go to the Safariland side using the toolbar on the top of the site to see their products.

http://www.blackhawk.com/Products/Holsters-Duty-Gear/Holsters/Duty.aspx

These are full retail pricing. If you're LE you'll get a discount, if not you can find these products at online retailers such as Galls, Brownells, Midwayusa or others.
is there a way to get them to sit lower on the belt or is that generally not advisable.

·
Registered
7,081 Posts
Question, why do you want the holster to sit low.

·
Registered
316 Posts
I've got a friend that makes kydex holsters. IWB, OWB, with lights... whatever you think you need. When it comes to holsters, there's going to be gimmicks that you'll pay for just like everywhere else. Ken keeps it simple and will not lead you astray. I've used his kydex OWB holsters since 2010 and used them for all of my USPSA/IDPA/IPSC competitions with no problems for my Para 1911's. I use the same holsters for my everday OWB concealed carry with a button up shirt or jacket. You'll probably want to consider a separate holster for your magazines since having 2-3 magazines on the same pistol holster would inherently make it larger and you probably wouldn't want that much weight hanging on your belt in one spot and the challenge it will pose for quick reloads. Check his site out at:

www.shibumitactical.com

Making holsters isn't his primary job so you have to be patient if he doesn't contact you right away. It all depends where he is in the world at the time.

Also, with kydex, I wouldn't expect another pistol to work in it since kydex holsters usually rely on the trigger guard for retention. But, maybe the stars will align for you. With IWB holsters, one thing to consider is that you will need pants that are a size or two bigger to accomodate the holster. Something to think about.

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
is there a way to get them to sit lower on the belt or is that generally not advisable.
IMO, unless you're wearing body armor such as an interceptor where a thigh rig is necessary, you should keep the weapon at belt level; i.e., the top of the weapon clears your belt allowing you to fully access the grip to get correct placement of your hand on the weapon.

Besides trigger control, which is the number one priority in shooting a handgun well, how your grip is executed from the draw is the second key to good shooting. Having a poor or sloppy grip during presentation will affect both trigger control, sighting, and control during recoil for followup shots.

Having to reach for the weapon because of unusually low placement isn't conducive to a good grip, and it is no help in gaining muscle memory for concealed carry (CC) either. Most CC rigs are on the belt, either Inside the Waist Band (IWB) or Outside the Waist Band (OWB).

I don't know if you're a CCW permit holder, but if you plan to shoot IDPA, this is the type of rig that you'll have to use. IPSC is another game entirely, where you can use any type of skeletonized Han Solo drop leg that you want in Unlimited, but it isn't reality. It's one of the reasons that I stopped shooting IPSC, and switched to IDPA, too much gamesmanship and equipment races.

The bottom line to me is that you can shoot IPSC with the low mount holster, or use one if you wear full armor, but for anything else where normal everyday carry, either concealed or open, or reality based competition are players, a standard belt rig is the one to use and learn.

·
Registered
468 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
thanks guys i know you wouldn't steer me wrong ill keep into consideration all that you said here about holster placement.

Ill look at your buddys custom holster outfit, I'm in no hurry. I'm all about helping people out.

I have a airsoft 1911 i been using to get the basics down right now at least and watching Jerry michulak videos.

IM not good at quoting stuff but thanks again guys for all the advice.

next question what kind of belt should i get :) and mag holder

·
NSR
1,831 Posts
Gents,

I'm a firm believer in having a proper holster for the individual pistol. While the 1911 holster will work for the Hi-Power there is a bit of play. Your choice, but I believe you'd be better off (and happier) with a holster for the 1911 and another for the Hi-Power.

I have leather holsters for each, but my most used holsters are my Blade Tech Kydex one's. I have them for my 1911's and Hi-Powers and couldn't be happier.

Plus kydex works well in Oregon's wet winter conditions.

Just my .02 worth...

Wes

·
Registered
28 Posts
Gents,

I'm a firm believer in having a proper holster for the individual pistol. While the 1911 holster will work for the Hi-Power there is a bit of play. Your choice, but I believe you'd be better off (and happier) with a holster for the 1911 and another for the Hi-Power.

I have leather holsters for each, but my most used holsters are my Blade Tech Kydex one's. I have them for my 1911's and Hi-Powers and couldn't be happier.

Plus kydex works well in Oregon's wet winter conditions.

Just my .02 worth...

Wes
Great advice as usual Wes...

The BHP deserves a BHP specific holster...

The 1911 deserves a 1911 specific holster...

If you absolutely must use a 1911 holster with the BHP, a quality leather belt slide can be made to work well enough...for government work SGRIN...

Blade-Tech Kydex...particularly the older folded holsters, are top notch BIGOK...

AND, they work well in the heat and humidity of FL too ICONWINK...

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.