M14 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
953 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hold your breath and say some prayers for me... I just bedded the stock on my Ruger 10/22. I got froggy and needed a challenge I guess? I disassembled and cleaned the entire rifle, chopped and channeled the stock, added a 18" E.R. Shaw bull barrel and cleaned up the trigger group. Now I'm waiting feverishly through the night hoping my bedding job doesn't turn my baby into an inseparable JB Welded mess... GI3 I used spray case lube as a release agent so lets hope for the best gentleman...

·
Forum Jester
7,228 Posts
hope ya used some kind of mold release

·
Registered
1,497 Posts
That's an interesting idea. Keep us posted on how that may help.

·
Registered
953 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I used spray on case lube since my polish was left on base... I've read that it works very well but I suppose that's a huge assumption now that I'm thinking about it...

hope ya used some kind of mold release

·
Registered
4,163 Posts
RFC

Plenty of folks on Rimfire Central have done this....I debated on my 1022 I built for open class semi 20 dot.....but when I sobered up decided not to...; )

Heck....I have used Pam cooking spray as a release with no worries......

·
Registered
953 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
"That John Denver's full of sh#! man"

Bad News Bears:
Spray-on case lube does not make the best release agent. Checked the rifle early this morning and found she was stuck pretty good. After freezing her for a few hours to see if It would seperate a little, the stock was still stuck.

Good News:
The stock only broke into two clean pieces... :( Going to take a page from the GI repair book and use a couple brass screws and wood epoxy to fix it. The receiver and barrel only had minor epoxy stuck to it and cleaned up relatively easy.

You live and you learn gentleman and I'm doing that every day. I'll post more pictures when I repair the stock.

At least the bedding looks solid right? Lol more to come

·
Registered
457 Posts
Hold your breath and say some prayers for me... I just bedded the stock on my Ruger 10/22. I got froggy and needed a challenge I guess? I disassembled and cleaned the entire rifle, chopped and channeled the stock, added a 18" E.R. Shaw bull barrel and cleaned up the trigger group. Now I'm waiting feverishly through the night hoping my bedding job doesn't turn my baby into an inseparable JB Welded mess... GI3 I used spray case lube as a release agent so lets hope for the best gentleman...
Why would you want to do that? Guess you paid the price from experimenting. My 2 cents

·
Forum Jester
7,228 Posts
well,the bedding area looks good.you can cut that out of the old stock,and glue it in the new one
or,there's always good old elmers wood glue

Reactions: russmerle

·
Registered
953 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
I repaired her with liquid nails, stock repair pins and clamps. She should cure up nicely and be solid by the time I get back in town mid week.

Russ

·
Forum Jester
7,228 Posts
don't forget pics

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
If you're looking for a good release agent, Kiwi neutral shoe polish works very well. I've used it several times, and I've never had an issue with it not letting go. Apply it with a shop towel and rub it in good.

·
Registered
1,497 Posts
All these fancy release compounds ideas? Why not just by products that where design to be used as release compounds

·
Registered
953 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Got to love gitter bug sanders... I hope to do a McMillan Super Match camo type of a paint job on it. Coupled with the red field 10x she should look pretty cool.

·
Registered
953 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I've used the shoe polish before and it's my go-to but left it at work. I looked up alternates and found lots of good things about the spray-on case lube... not so much for me I guess.

More to come with the paint job!

Because in my experience, Kiwi shoe polish works better than the Acraglas release agent. It's also very well known to work. Professional gunsmiths also use Johnson paste wax.

Reactions: unkola

·
Registered
1,975 Posts
I've used Harnady case sizing lube with perfect results. Every reloader should have the same or equivalent near by.

Reactions: russmerle

·
Registered
953 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
After cleaning off the receiver I found only few small spots where the lube failed... It could have been my application.

I've used Harnady case sizing lube with perfect results. Every reloader should have the same or equivalent near by.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts