M14 Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We're going to be hunting hogs in the not too distant future. Where we're going requires us to use 5rd mags. Was wondering if anyone had any advice for a hawg-huting novice.

Also, given that we need 5 round mags, would it make sense to get 5 rounders or block off 10 or 20 rounders? Look forward to learning a few things before we head out to do battle-

Cheers-

Ope

·
Registered
90 Posts
Ope, while i'm not a hog hunter (yet ;) ), i'd have to say get the 5rd mags. depending on where you are going to be hunting, they may be more or less strict on the mags in a SLR. blocked 10 or 20 rd mags MAY be legal, but the possible harassment, and even arrest and confiscation, and fighting these, is more than worth the cash to get the mags.

just my $.02

chris

·
Registered
30 Posts
I used SA 5 round mags in my SOCOM. I took it hog hunting in GA, last month. One shot, one hog. I used Federal Classic 150 gr SP, and they did just what they are supposed to do, kill hogs quickly and cleanly.
I have an EOtech mounted on the SOCOM, and took the shot at night, with a QBeam spotlight held by a buddy.
After many years of using a .44 Mag Marlin lever gun, or a 30/30, I think I have found my 'go to' hog rifle.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Roger that on the sidearm... Those little guys move fast it would really suck if you didnt happen to score a hit with the 5 rounds...and if you have to reload... man it is a bear to get that 5 rounder out.

I guess I would carry my colt Delta 10mm

good luck 8)

·
Registered
191 Posts
I have done most of my hog hunting at night. I ambush them in an open field. I used a M1A shooting Sierra 150 grain Gamekings at around 2,600 fps. 165 grain bullets also work just fine. I also carry a .357 revolver. The only time I hunt hogs during the day is in the winter. Since all of the leaves are off the trees, I look for them in stands of pine trees where they can find shade. If you hunt them at night, you will find out how good your optics are.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.