M14 Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
6,418 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
does anyone have any opinions on Hobart welders? im looking at this one but want to get some opinions on it. I need a generator since my house isn't equipped electrically for a decent welder. any opinions? anyone actually use one and have you used one with tig welding?
truthfully speaking, I havnt welded very much, ive welded but im no welder but I have plans to take multiple welding classes at the local college when it reopens. thoughts?

·
Registered
44 Posts
Electric power from a welder is very rough lots of power spikes and that ok for lots of power tools but bad for things in side the house .

·
Registered
6,418 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Electric power from a welder is very rough lots of power spikes and that ok for lots of power tools but bad for things in side the house .
I wont be running any household items off of it unless the power gos out which doesn't really happen that often. its been years since it went out. this will be for my rock crawler build im doing when I collect all the parts. also making a power hammer for my forging...

·
Registered
547 Posts
That's quite a unit. What do you plan to weld mostly?

I have a Hobart 120V MIG welder, and it's been very good. As far as I understand, Hobart is the consumer like of Miller Welders.

I've used a friend's Lincoln MIG welder quite a bit, and it's ok, but it doesn't seem as well made as the Hobart to me.

·
Registered
6,414 Posts
I'm not a welder by trade, but I've done a fair amount of it avocationally.
IMO, buy the welder after you take the classes. You'll probably get to try a few and gain some insight from the instructors as to what brands they favor.

·
Registered
6,418 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
That's quite a unit. What do you plan to weld mostly?

I have a Hobart 120V MIG welder, and it's been very good. As far as I understand, Hobart is the consumer like of Miller Welders.

I've used a friend's Lincoln MIG welder quite a bit, and it's ok, but it doesn't seem as well made as the Hobart to me.
I have a rock crawler project coming up. When I finish collecting parts I'll start it. The thickest steel I'm welding is 3/8".

·
Registered
6,418 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The whole reason I want that one in particular is because I can run other welders off of it. I know I can probably do it with the smaller rated one but I also planned on powering a Miller 180 mig welder too. And my dumb little flux core for odds and ends...

·
Registered
447 Posts
Welder for 40yrs. Hobart was a good welder at one time. Don’t know how they are now but if you’re talking stick welding an old Lincoln is a good choice also. Most of the old welders worked on AC current the best and different welding rods were needed but haven’t used a stick welder for a long time so maybe new rods are different now. There’s a lot more to welding than striking an arc. 3/8 plate is pretty thick for a wire welder unless using an adequate machine with proper wire

·
Registered
6,418 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Welder for 40yrs. Hobart was a good welder at one time. Don’t know how they are now but if you’re talking stick welding an old Lincoln is a good choice also. Most of the old welders worked on AC current the best and different welding rods were needed but haven’t used a stick welder for a long time so maybe new rods are different now. There’s a lot more to welding than striking an arc. 3/8 plate is pretty thick for a wire welder unless using an adequate machine with proper wire
I'm probably using the stick welder for the 3/8. Everything else is 1/4". Then there's the tubing and links and welding on the diff. So there's going to be torches involved

·
Registered
8,663 Posts
This welder appears to be of the size / style of my Miller Trailblazer. It has a Kholer engine, mine has a Subaru.
These size welders are on the used market for about a Dollar @ hr- EG $800- $1000 @ 800- 1000 hrs.
PS- Do not- Repeat+ Don't Never Ever try to start one these type welders with a low battery & jump start using jumper cables or a charger set to "Boost". Don't even turn thr key to "ON"!!!
I keep the receipt for the two circuit boards I burnt up hanging on one my tool boxes as a reminder...

·
Registered
44 Posts
My Thermal arc mig welder is a joke when plugged in to the house just not enough power when plugged in to my Lincoln 250 with Lincoln .030 flux core NR211MP wire it out standing very happy with it. I would say 100 % duty cycle .

·
Registered
6,418 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
This welder appears to be of the size / style of my Miller Trailblazer. It has a Kholer engine, mine has a Subaru.
These size welders are on the used market for about a Dollar @ hr- EG $800- $1000 @ 800- 1000 hrs.
PS- Do not- Repeat+ Don't Never Ever try to start one these type welders with a low battery & jump start using jumper cables or a charger set to "Boost". Don't even turn thr key to "ON"!!!
I keep the receipt for the two circuit boards I burnt up hanging on one my tool boxes as a reminder...
how would that happen? I know on the military generators I used to work on that if you switched frequency (Hz) while it was running it would let the smoke out of the electronics...

·
Registered
6,418 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Are you planning to weld-up a tube frame?
so far, the parts I have collected are a dana 60 front and a sterling 10.5 out of a furd f350, the rear truss, some barnes high steer weld on arms and front shock mounts, some 16" rear outboard shock towers. I still need my links and tubes, hydro steering; front truss, 14" ORI struts, belly pan and brackets then the drive shafts and eventually an atlas 2 and a cummins repower...

·
Registered
8,663 Posts
I coulda fixed you up last yr...I just let a 5.9 12 valve go a few months ago cheap & I scrapped out a forklift that had the hydro steering on it...It's on my 3000 Ford now!

·
Registered
6,418 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I coulda fixed you up last yr...I just let a 5.9 12 valve go a few months ago cheap & I scrapped out a forklift that had the hydro steering on it...It's on my 3000 Ford now!
no worries. I think a 6bt would be alittle heavy for it. im not running springs, just the ori struts. granted you can tune them on the trail but I would have to do the engine install before the suspension so I can get the number correct for the 4 link. it would completely change the center of gravity.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts