M14 Forum banner

Ho scale layout plan needed

1K views 15 replies 13 participants last post by  Tony617 
#1 ·
Ok I can build a layout now the space is is 17x24 . I have 30 engines 4000 cars. I have no imagination to do a layout.
Thought about having one diamond cross over just for looks and have a large Grain elevator
Point me in the right direction lol

#2 ·
#3 ·
Ok I can build a layout now the space is is 17x24 . I have 30 engines 4000 cars. I have no imagination to do a layout.
Thought about having one diamond cross over just for looks and have a large Grain elevator
Point me in the right direction lol
Wow that is a lot of engines and rolling stock. I was into HO in highschool and college and still have boxes of them in the garage along with an old layout on one sheet of plywood that has been leaning against the garage wall since I built the house in 1989. Just never got back to it.

Reactions: XXIV Corps
#6 · (Edited)
#7 ·
Plenty of things to think about even before you start building platforms to mount the track on.
Assuming HO gauge, are you trying to replicate a certain road (sort of) or is it going to be the Hippycrowe Central? What shape will it physically be in that space and where will the engineer sit (central location and it's all around you with a slick way into the middle, on one side overlooking the whole thing, or L or U (or other) shaped)? Will it have a yard or do you want to keep it kind of basic with one main line and basic scenery or more mainlines with proper space (obviously) between them (ie: separate north/south directions) and lots of scenery and towns? Will it gain height at some point and if so can you make the grade right in that space? If you do it right, you can expand on it as you go if the basic space is made flexible and sort of plan for certain things later now. Lots to ponder there hoss.

#8 ·
Went and saw the Chattanooga choo choo train display several times as a kid. The set up was something else.

#12 ·
I grew up with 4’x8’ HO train layout in my bedroom. Was using plastic insulated blocking system and could run two trains at once. I sold it to my best friend at the time in mid-1980s.

I would not mind a new HO gauge layout but because of size of my guest bedroom I moved to an N scale layout instead. I got all of the track and built a 3’x7’ layout. I just need to start laying track.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.